Author Topic: How to Avoid Looking Like an American Tourist  (Read 24618 times)

Offline optom3

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: How to Avoid Looking Like an American Tourist
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2009, 02:48:20 pm »
Unless the shoes are sneakers, I think that's tacky anywhere.  :laugh:

Well a lot of Brits. wear socks with their sandals so I don't suppose that is any better. Surely the only piece of advice any traveller needs is, respect the customs and traditions of the country you are visiting.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2009, 03:32:11 pm »
Well a lot of Brits. wear socks with their sandals so I don't suppose that is any better.

I see some Americans doing that, too. And I always think to myself, "If your feet are so cold that you need to wear socks, then why are you wearing sandals instead of proper shoes?"  :laugh:

Surely the only piece of advice any traveller needs is, respect the customs and traditions of the country you are visiting.

Agreed!  :)
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline oilgun

« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2009, 03:35:02 pm »
Doesn't wearing socks with sandals defeat the purpose of wearing sandals?  ???

Offline Pipedream

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2009, 04:56:33 pm »
wearing socks with scandals is commonly seen among biking people, other athletes, and people who have an affinity to catching athletes foot. the chafing of the scandals or flip flops on unprotected skin provides a highly suseptible field for infection.

That's scandalous!!  ;)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2009, 04:57:50 pm »
Hi Anke!!! :-* :-*
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Pipedream

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2009, 05:25:25 pm »
Hi David!!  :-*

On the subject of recognizing American tourists, I guess they can't really disguise. I grew up in a town with an American army base in Germany, and, looking at people in the streets, I could always tell who was American and who wasn't. It's not only the clothes, but also the way people move, their facial features, hairdos and glasses, how they laugh and look around. I can't really put my finger on it. It's their whole appearance. Once, a cousin from the United States who visited us wanted to try out his German vocabulary on a guy walking past our house, saying aloud "Guten Abend!". I told him, that was an American GI, and he asked how I knew. I couldn't really explain it. It was just so obvious. On the other hand, I also recognize German tourists anywhere...

::)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2009, 07:07:28 pm »
Hi David!!  :-*

On the subject of recognizing American tourists, I guess they can't really disguise. I grew up in a town with an American army base in Germany, and, looking at people in the streets, I could always tell who was American and who wasn't. It's not only the clothes, but also the way people move, their facial features, hairdos and glasses, how they laugh and look around. I can't really put my finger on it. It's their whole appearance. Once, a cousin from the United States who visited us wanted to try out his German vocabulary on a guy walking past our house, saying aloud "Guten Abend!". I told him, that was an American GI, and he asked how I knew. I couldn't really explain it. It was just so obvious. On the other hand, I also recognize German tourists anywhere...

::)

Call it "tourist-dar," maybe?

Works like gaydar, but it detects tourists instead?  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • LCARS
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2009, 07:32:25 pm »
Christ, this is on a university website?  (Obviously they weren't using a dictionary...)

Very interesting advice overall, though.

Its just the "Aggies" Laura, we have learned to be patient with them here in Texas. 

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2009, 07:37:04 pm »
men who are clearly dressed in uncomfortable, girly-like shirts and pants that their wives got on sale for the trip. Dead give away.

Are they the "Girlie-men" the "Ar-nold" spoke of?

"Don't Be Economic Girlie Men!"

« Last Edit: May 09, 2009, 06:48:18 pm by brokeplex »

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2009, 07:47:07 pm »
Its just the "Aggies" Laura, we have learned to be patient with them here in Texas. 

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: