Author Topic: Adam loses to Kris on Idol...reminiscent of anything?  (Read 15909 times)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
Re: Adam loses to Kris on Idol...reminiscent of anything?
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2009, 08:28:58 pm »
Well, I strongly suspected Adam was gay, but I was cheering for Kris. And like Shasta, I liked them both and I wish somehow BOTH of them could have won.

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline optom3

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2009, 08:54:17 pm »
I wanted Adam to win,  :'(
I never thought I would live to see the day, when another vocalist could take a Led. Zep. song and out perform Robert Plant.
OMG wash your mouth out lady, did I just write that, :o
Bows down at the holy grail of rock gods and sings 3 stairways to heaven for penance, while repeating the mantra. there is only one Plant, there is only one Plant.
Back on topic, it may well be to Adam's advantage that he did not win, now he can choose to sing whatever he wants, unfettered by the chains of A.I. and the mighty greenback.
I look forward to hearing his amazing voice for years to come and hope that like Will Young, back in the U.K, he will have the courage to come out, loud and proud if that is indeed his inclination.
Kris is cute and can definitely knock out a melody or two, but IMHO he is not in the same league as Adam.

Offline Brokeback_Dev

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of nature
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2009, 08:56:53 pm »
I was so excited when Ryan Seacrest announced Kris as the winner.  OMG i could not believe it.  I thought for sure Adam would get it, but Im happy Chris did.  Chris is guarenteed a recording deal, but Adam as been approached too.  

AI gave Adam the venue to be noticed and now very famous.  More famous than Chris, but I so loved Chris' rendition of a kanye West's song.  Im not sure of the name of the song, but Chris' performance blew me away.

Offline Katie77

• Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2009, 09:30:27 pm »
I was absolutely astonished when Kris won over Adam. They are not in the same league.

I have watched American Idol all the way thru from the auditions, and always thought Adam stood out.

On the last show, when Kris sang, he sounded like thousands of other singers, nothing unique, nothing exeptional, just a good singer. He may end up a one or two hit wonder, but unless he can come up with something special he will fade into oblivion.

But Adam, he can do anything, and puts his own mark on everything he does. I could easily sit and watch a full show of just him. He definately wont need the American Idol crown to be a super star, and Im sure we will be hearing more of him for years to come.

And, the song that they both sang, which is to become the first single........bloody awful. But no doubt, will become a hit. In my opinion it was not good enough for Adam's talent, but its plainness suited Kris well.

Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2009, 10:42:07 pm »
Quote from the New York Times: Mr. Lambert, who tops his singing with a soulful screech somewhere between the blues and a smoke alarm, was like no one else.

:o  Eeeew.  :P
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2009, 11:08:54 pm »
"Screeches like a smoke alarm"? ???

Wait. Don't tell me. Somebody at the NY Times is pissed about Adam's loss. ;)

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline newyearsday

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • ponygirl
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2009, 11:18:37 pm »
While I do think Adam goes for the highest notes at the drop of a hat and too early, I can see that it's worked for him in terms of getting noyiced, and he will probably learn to use it more judiciously so as not to turn people off like it's the only thing he does.

To Shasta, I agree that he came in pretty damn near perfect but he did mention how Kara (and probably others) taught him something about keeping your emotions a bit more internal when performing for the camera vs in the theater when everyone is so far away and you have to ratchet up the reactions so people can "read" you from hundreds of feet away. It's not always obvious that he's using that direction but he seems to take critiques well so how are we to know what he might have done that was even more over the top?

Yes, Adam's been performing since he was 10 but that does not mean he was a household name or had a record contract. He did this show to get his name out there because it was only known in small circles in Cali, and he bloody well deserved to win. Most of the people on the show (and certainly many on other shows like "So You Think You Can Dance") have been training and performing all of their lives but it's not the same as being able to make a decent living at it or have any measure of creative control. I think it says a lot for him that he's been developing himself that way for so long, had the passion to go the distance, and the wisdom to know when he was and was not ready for this stage of his career.
Revelationtees--wear them for good. Profits go to the Matthew Shepard Foundation: www.revelationtees.spreadshirt.com & www.revelationtees.spreadshirt.net (for EU)
"One life, with each other..."

injest

« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2009, 11:41:25 pm »
there is no doubt in my mind that he will become a star....as has happened in the past with other runner ups. I wonder if the spotlight and the expectations of being the winner doesn't cause more harm than good long term. Adam got enormous exposure and name recognition and is now 'free' to develop further and make something out of this.

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2009, 11:46:39 pm »
I was so excited when Ryan Seacrest announced Kris as the winner.  OMG i could not believe it.  I thought for sure Adam would get it, but Im happy Chris did.  Chris is guarenteed a recording deal, but Adam as been approached too.  

AI gave Adam the venue to be noticed and now very famous.  More famous than Chris, but I so loved Chris' rendition of a kanye West's song.  Im not sure of the name of the song, but Chris' performance blew me away.

I think it was "Heartless", Dev.
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline milomorris

• No crybabies
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2009, 11:57:49 pm »
Here's what some Sand Diego Opera staff had to say about Adam Lambert:

http://www.sdnn.com/sandiego/2009-05-12/things-to-do/opera-experts-rate-american-idols-adam-lambert

Opera experts rate “Idol’s” Adam Lambert
Does San Diego's favorite finalist have the chops to become a superstar?

By Valerie Scher, SDNN

As an “American Idol” finalist, San Diego’s Adam Lambert is accustomed to performing for Simon, Paula, Kara and Randy. But he probably never faced a panel of opera experts. Until now.

SDNN thought it would be fun to have an operatic panel assess everything from Adam’s voice and looks to his charisma. The idea isn’t to be snobby or snarky. Everyone knows he’s talented. And nobody expects the guy to be the next King of the High C’s.
Click here to find out more!

The point is to provide some insights into his appeal and assess whether “American Idol’s” glam prince has what takes to become a superstar.

So meet the judges and find out what they have to say.

Nicolas Reveles, Geisel Director of Education and Outreach at San Diego Opera

Adam’s voice: As an opera professional this is probably going to sound strange, but I love his voice! I imagine he’s a baritone but he masks that with a terrific head voice (falsetto) that is incredibly well trained, fluid and able to communicate emotionally. It’s particularly good in his slower, lyric numbers like “The Tracks of My Tears” and “Mad World”. I also reviewed his performance of “Black and White,” where it seemed to me that at times he was driving the voice a little hard. But one has to accept that with pop and rock singers. His pitch is excellent, even in those crazy “coloratura-like” passages; the only pitch issue I had was with the initial moment of the very last note in “Mad World” but he obviously heard the problem and fixed it on the spot. That was very professional, very self-aware, and it’s something that opera singers often have happen to them as well. So he’s in good company.

His looks: Adam has a distinctive look that makes him stand out from the crowd and this is all to his benefit for a career in pop music. He’s attractive but mysterious and has a kind of “dark” thing going for him that makes audiences want to know more about him. The only thing that I’d caution him on would be that he’s a bit wide in the hips and tends to a bit of pudginess in the face. He’ll have to continually work with hair stylists and wardrobe designers to minimize these features. I foresee what happened to Elvis in his later years if Adam doesn’t carefully watch his physique. But when he wins “American Idol” (that’s “when,” not “if,” as far as I’m concerned), he’ll have plenty of money for a physical trainer!

Charisma: Adam Lambert has the world on a string. He moves with incredible sex appeal but shows us moments of vulnerability and purity as well. The audience obviously loves him, and so does the camera. He knows that and he works it honestly without coming off as a poseur. I feel like he’s serving the song every time he steps up to the mic. He most certainly has that certain something, that rare combination of talent, ability to communicate on many levels, an interior sense of a song, inherent musicianship and cockiness that demands attention from an audience and offers it something new.

Mini-review: I chose “The Tracks of My Tears,” which can be downloaded from iTunes. Adam’s diction in this song is impeccable, something that’s the hallmark of a great singer in any genre (Frank Sinatra and Ella Fitzgerald come to mind, but also Renee Fleming and Bryn Terfel). That ability helps him to bend syllables and color certain words, making the communication of the overall song a joy to experience. He seems as if he’s improvising his embellishments (”licks”) on the spot; it doesn’t matter if they’re plotted within an inch of their lives. He makes it seem completely fresh which, after all, is the whole point. The phrasing makes me realize that he knows this song from the inside and is letting us in on the secret of the song, giving us some precious insight that only he might have known before. The register breaks in his falsetto are masterfully covered so that everything sounds seamless and perfectly legato. A wonderful, engaging and touching performance.

Chances of becoming a superstar: High. This guy’s going to become a major star, no question about it. And I’ll tell you a secret: I will probably buy his first solo album. There. I said it.

Leon Natker, General Director of Lyric Opera San Diego

Adam’s voice: Adam is a Broadway-style lyric tenor. He supports his voice well, which is no small achievement in heavy metal rock. He also doesn’t rely on falsetto tricks in the upper register; he’s really singing the notes with his full voice. His diction in Led Zeppelin’s “Whole Lotta Love” is better than the original recording so he definitely is trying to communicate with an audience. He has been on the road with “Wicked” so we know he has the stamina to last eight performances a week. It’s hard to tell from recorded media how big the voice is but it clearly has potential on a microphone. My questions would be: How long can he do this style of singing and is it the best style for his voice and for a long career? He seems to have the voice under control; I think it’s a matter of choices for him. What does Adam want in ten years?

His looks: I know the “Idol” staff styles these kids and I have to wonder what they’re really going for with Adam’s “look.” We all can tell that they’re thinking of him as a Rock Star but are the make-up and the funky hair the best they could do? Appearance in the pop scene is very important; I just don’t see whom this look appeals to.

Charisma: I’m probably the wrong person to ask this. He has a great deal of energy and charisma when he performs. He clearly is comfortable in front of an audience. I just don’t know whom it appeals to. Of course I’m not in the business of selling pop CDs to a very young age demographic.

Mini-review: I watched his performance of Led Zeppelin’s “Whole Lotta Love.” His voice was right on pitch and well supported, his diction was excellent and for that type of number I think his phrasing was good. Many rockers breathe at awkward moments because they’re pushing the voice and are out of breath. Adam doesn’t have this issue. I think it’s a good rendition of that heavy metal style of singing.

Chances of becoming a major star: Medium.

Valerie Scher, the SDNN Arts & Entertainment editor and a San Diego correspondent for London-based Opera magazine

Adam’s voice: Impressive. But not easy to categorize. Adam has tenor-like qualities along with some of the darker shadings of a baritone. He can also soar into the stratosphere with a fearless falsetto. Lean, supple and attractive, his voice is versatile enough for a variety of styles. And his attentiveness to pitch, phrasing and breath control indicates he’s combining his musical instincts with a firmly grounded technique. That should prolong his career.

His looks: Dark nail polish and glittery guyliner may not work for everyone, especially someone singing Mozart or Massenet at New York’s Metropolitan Opera. But it works for Adam. If anything, his kind of androgynous chic has expanded his fan base. Combine the shaggy black hair, skin-tight pants and leathery jackets with an unpretentious, nice-guy persona and you get a singer who looks like a bad boy without being scary.

Charisma: Are you kidding? Adam oozes charisma. If he could bottle the stuff, he would make a fortune. That kind of allure can’t be faked. Some of it has to do with confidence, the way a performer takes command of the stage. Legendary opera singers from Caruso to Pavarotti had that ability. Adam has it, too. He seems comfortable with who he is and attuned to his own aesthetic. He almost dares you to watch and see what he can do. And people are watching, by the millions.

Mini-review: I picked “Born to Be Wild,” the Steppenwolf classic that’s often credited with being the first heavy-metal song. What I like about Adam’s version is that it blends wildness and control, passion and sophistication. Much like an opera singer enhances a melodic line with ornamentation, Adam supplies his own virtuosic flair. He bends notes, makes wide leaps, adds elaborate embellishments and pumps up the volume to an ear-tingling fortissimo. It’s all proof of his vocal mastery.

Chances of becoming a major star: Medium to high. The reason I’m hedging is that the pop music world is notoriously fickle. Unlike opera, where singers often perform year after year, even decade after decade, pop music is always hungry for the next big thrill, the newest sensation. Yet one thing appears certain. Adam has loyal fans in San Diego. And they appreciate him for all he has to offer. Rock on, Adam!

Valerie Scher is the SDNN Arts & Entertainment editor.
  The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.