Author Topic: A Bulgarian Fan  (Read 2778 times)

Offline kudzudaddy

• Sr. Ranch Hand
A Bulgarian Fan
« on: July 31, 2006, 06:16:00 pm »
I have a chat buddy, a young man who lives in Sofia, Bulgaria.  We have been chatting for nearly a year now...  he is young, bright, opinionated and, despite (or perhaps because of) his occasionally fractured English, a delightful correspondent.  I have learned much about Eastern Europe from him.  I spoke to him of Brokeback Mountain when I first saw it and urged him to move heaven and earth to see it.
Surprisingly (to me) it played Sofia about 4 months later and he went to see it.  Thirlled, I asked him how he liked it.  "I hate this."  he answered.  "Cowboys...  I don't care about cowboys...  American bullsh*t."   That was the sum total of his response.
Being well-trained after months on the Imdb board, I resisted the urge to sever all ties and make a voodoo doll in his image.  I let the matter drop and no more was said on the subject until 2 days ago.  (He saw it in May.)
He casually mentioned some "Pirate" website that is very popular in Bulgaria which offers 8,000 (!) titles for free download.  Among his downloads was, you guessed it... Brokeback.  I asked him how he liked it the second time.  His response was rapturous.  "This is great movie.  Best in 2005."  "What?!" I replied.  "I thought you hated it."  "No," he came back.  "I was crazy then...  I don't know why I say that.  This is great movie...  maybe best ever... I don't know."
We had our own little Bettermost forum then and there...  and he was like all newbies... wide-eyed with wonder that a film could take over his life.
He asked where he could find more about the film and I, of course, steered him here and, yesterday he visited.  I don't know if he's joined up... but if you see a young man with a heavy accent wandering around...  I hope you'll show him a true Bettermost Welcome.
BBM - capturing hearts - one at a time.

--Kudz

PS -- if this isn't the right place for this, my bad... please forgive, mods.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: A Bulgarian Fan
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2006, 06:32:14 pm »
THis is a perfect place for this! Thanx for yr story, I hope to see yr chat room friend here soon. We will welcome him with a cup of coffee and a piece of cherry cake!!!!!!!!!!!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Aussie Chris

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2006, 12:30:30 am »
I'd be really inteterested in hearing how such a strong negative impression became such a strong one.  Me thinks that he may not have seen it the first time and simply dismissed it as a "western".  Wouldn't surprise me, many have underestimated it that way.  But if not, then this is an even more curious situation...
Nothing is as common as the wish to be remarkable - William Shakespeare

Offline kudzudaddy

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2006, 02:47:55 pm »
Chris --
no... I'm convinced he did see it the first time...  in the theatre, no less.   I just attribute his conversion to the power of BBM.  When he saw it the second time, he didn't have all the "cowboy stuff"  (i.e. "American Bullsh*t") to deal with and he could just focus on the story.  Whatever, he is now hooked... lol... and that's a GOOD thing.

--Kudz

Offline Aussie Chris

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2006, 06:12:12 pm »
I just attribute his conversion to the power of BBM.

Sure 'nough.  I love the quote above by the way, it has a somewhat mystical feel to it - of which I definitely concur! ;D

Offline kudzudaddy

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2006, 04:37:46 pm »
Thanks...  I do think BBM has a mystical power...  and we, the Brokies...  are, in some way, "chosen" -- rather like the Richard Dreyfuss character in Close Encounters.

Offline Aussie Chris

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2006, 07:42:44 am »
Thanks...  I do think BBM has a mystical power...  and we, the Brokies...  are, in some way, "chosen" -- rather like the Richard Dreyfuss character in Close Encounters.

Ooooh, and I like this one even more!  So that's what this strange obsession with mashed potato is all about, I've been building a model of BBM!!! :laugh:

Offline kudzudaddy

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2006, 04:34:25 pm »
LOL!!!!