Author Topic: Rearview  (Read 27051 times)

Offline serious crayons

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Rearview
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2006, 06:38:57 pm »
It may have to do with reflections - what he wants to reflect vs. what he does reflect - especially to Jack, perhaps?  But it might perhaps also have something to do with the "real" Ennis being hidden from view or so inaccessible that he sometimes can only be studied indirectly - when he's not aware of it?

Nice post, Mikaela. And may I add, very lovely illustrations!  ;)

Seems like in most movies when a mirror appears, it signifies a character contemplating some previously unrealized aspect of his/her own identity. You'll see the person staring into the mirror when they've gone through some kind of big change, or discovered something new about themselves, or done something that's out of character for them. Like, say, they've just killed someone and are now confronting their new identity as a murderer.

Ennis isn't doing any of those things (though if there had been a mirror in the tent the morning after TS1, I bet he'd be looking into it! In that case, I think looking out the tent flap at his "new world" stands in for the mirror contemplation). Still, the identity thing does apply to Ennis. He has two identities: his "real" self and the image he presents to everyone else.

This is particularly shown in the photo in your post in which Ennis and his mirror image bracket Alma. There, she's simultaneously confronting the two different Ennises -- the one she already knew about and the one whose existence she has just discovered.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2006, 12:44:59 am by latjoreme »

Offline jpwagoneer1964

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Me and my 1951 DeSoto Suburban
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2006, 12:16:06 am »

It's interesting that despite Jack looking back (especially in the scene where he's driving away and sees Ennis on the road at the end of the '63 summer) he misses out on some crucial information.  He misses the crucial moment of seeing Ennis duck into the alley to cry.  If he had kept his gaze on that mirror a bit longer and had seen that... maybe things would be different (another minute moment of missed opportunity?).  So, in turning to watch Ennis ride away in the flashback is he also still missing out on some kind of knowledge about Ennis?  And, in never seeming to look back, are we supposed to think that Ennis is missing out on some level of understanding about Jack?
If only Jack saw.
Thank you Heath and Jake for showing us Ennis and Jack,  teaching us how much they loved one another.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2006, 12:38:12 am »
An interesting camera angle in the scene where Ennis is comforting his bawling children. If you look out the window in the children's nursery, you can see through another window to Alma working at her laundry.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Artiste

« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2008, 12:14:34 pm »
I know that every day that I rearview Annie's story and the BM movie, and my life too!!

Life to me is... duality. Ennis and Jack!! One duality, like in each of my paintings I create on canvas. Let me explain:
I rearview with sadness like Jack is then going away from Ennis, and with hope too as he seeks to help Ennis going towards him again - all that... like when Jack looked in his rearview mirror after leaving Ennis after they both came down from their work on Brokeback Mountain, that is sadness or tempest as in one way is a landscape in my painting! And, I am happy that he stopped his truck and came to see Ennis, that is hope... but Ennis rejected being too sad and/or perplexed!!?? A tempest scene!

On the other hand, in each of my paintings, there is also hope. Tranquility of a landscape. When Jack arrives for his 2nd year job, he sees in reaview Ennis since he has an immediate crush on the newcomer (soon he will find out to be Ennis)!! Jack's colours are bright with hope... as he looks in a mirror shaving... looking at Ennis!! A tranquill scene!

I always present two landscapes in each of my paintings... two scenes: tempest and tranquility!! I find that Annie does too, in her writing: Brokeback Mountain!! Annie does also rearviews??

Hugs!

Offline elomelo

• Sr. Ranch Hand
    • My Fanfiction
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2008, 12:47:53 pm »
I know that every day that I rearview Annie's story and the BM movie, and my life too!!

Life to me is... duality. Ennis and Jack!! One duality, like in each of my paintings I create on canvas. Let me explain:
I rearview with sadness like Jack is then going away from Ennis, and with hope too as he seeks to help Ennis going towards him again - all that... like when Jack looked in his rearview mirror after leaving Ennis after they both came down from their work on Brokeback Mountain, that is sadness or tempest as in one way is a landscape in my painting! And, I am happy that he stopped his truck and came to see Ennis, that is hope... but Ennis rejected being too sad and/or perplexed!!?? A tempest scene!

On the other hand, in each of my paintings, there is also hope. Tranquility of a landscape. When Jack arrives for his 2nd year job, he sees in reaview Ennis since he has an immediate crush on the newcomer (soon he will find out to be Ennis)!! Jack's colours are bright with hope... as he looks in a mirror shaving... looking at Ennis!! A tranquill scene!

I always present two landscapes in each of my paintings... two scenes: tempest and tranquility!! I find that Annie does too, in her writing: Brokeback Mountain!! Annie does also rearviews??

Hugs!

That's beautiful, Artiste! :) I think duality is a huge element in the story and the movie, more visual in the movie obviously. I think this has been said in another thread - the ying yang element? Jack and Ennis are missing elements of each other. Jack with his happiness and urge to chase his dreams while Ennis is more grounded and cautious.

As is tempest and tranquiliy! :D Hugs back!

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2013, 11:59:41 am »
Bumping as a shout out to the days when we used to hyperanalyze every detail -- and it always paid off!  :D

I was actually looking, originally, for an early discussion of the tar-spreading scene, which was my "Helen Keller at the water pump" moment of realizing how complexly nuanced this film was. If anyone knows of a thread about that, please bump!  :)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2014, 03:30:54 pm »
Looking in on this thread in honor of the ninth anniversary of the opening of the movie. Some interesting observations here about windows, binoculars, mirrors (rearview and otherwise) and lenses in general. But I don't think we've finished scoping out the subject! Anything you would like to add?

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2015, 11:09:19 pm »
The rearview mirrors at the beginning and end of their time on BBM are obvious bookends...

Hmmmm..........a doorway to and from "their place".

Didn't Lureen call Brokeback a 'pretend place'?

Possible connection to Wonderland, where Alice got to by going through the looking glass?

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2015, 10:55:13 am »
Chuck, what an insight! And what a great idea to wake up to! I've never realized that about the mirrors before...thank you!  :-*

Offline dontinterrupt

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2015, 07:22:04 pm »
hi guys, I would like to contribute my take on the "pair of deuces" discussion. I don't know, I might be the only one to interpret it like this, bu to me a deuce=a number two= simply put, SHIT. Since hearing it for the first time in this movie, I never really questioned it, just thought Aguirre called them 'pair of deuces' to signify they are just that - shit, worthless nobodies (in his own ignorant opinion only of course!). And in the story it read "pair of deuces going nowhere", which kinda confirmed it for me that's what it meant- young people with no future, no prospects, 'going nowhere'.

I'm dying to find out what you guys think   ;D