Author Topic: What's on your summer Must-Watch Movie List?  (Read 81397 times)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: What's on your summer Must-Watch Movie List?
« Reply #40 on: July 11, 2009, 12:45:50 pm »
There's a great article on Nora Ephron in this week's New Yorker, which touches on her new movie Julie and Julia. I can't imagine Meryl Streep as Julia Child (who I met once) so this is a must-see for me!!

I read and enjoyed that article, too. I was already looking forward to J & J, so all the more so now! Someone in that article was quoted as saying that her performance is so good, Meryl IS Julia.

BTW, that article was written by Ariel Levy, whose great essays and articles I have posted here before. I see she's now a staff writer. (Sorry, this should probably be in the "In the New Yorker" thread!  ::))

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #41 on: July 12, 2009, 09:44:30 am »
To kick off our summer film festival, I would like to propose that we plan to watch Brokeback Mountain individually sometime between now and Monday, July 20th. As you are watching, think of something totally new that you see and can bring to the discussion. Or, compare the movie to another movie you've seen recently. I will set up a discussion area on the 20th, and we can bring our fresh insights to it!!

If for some reason you are not able to watch the movie, but want to participate, then read the short story and find something new or compare it to another story. It will work just as well.

If people want to have viewing buddies either in real life or online, that's great! Feel free to use the chat room for this purpose if you like.

I'm jazzed about Brokeback Renaissance!!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #42 on: July 12, 2009, 12:31:02 pm »
I was thinking of seeing Away We Go this pm, and would appreciate a review from a Brokie.

If you look back in this thread, I gave Away We Go a very short, very positive review.  

I have now also seen Whatever Works, the new Woody Allen movie that stars Larry David, Evan Rachel Wood, the fantabulous Patricia Clarkson and a really good supporting cast.  I don't think everyone here would like it, but I loved it.  

And the cinematography shows New York at its most lovely - that almost bucolic, peaceful look it can have in the real neighborhoods.  "Bucolic" is of course not literally the right word, but still, Woody Allen movies of New York can have a sun-dappled, walking-down-a-lovely-country-road feel to them, and I remember real moments like that in New York from my childhood there, so that view of New York is precious to me.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 10:43:48 am by Ellemeno »

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #43 on: July 13, 2009, 09:09:44 am »
Has anyone dared to see Bruno?

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #44 on: July 13, 2009, 09:42:32 am »
Has anyone dared to see Bruno?

LOL!

No, 'Borat' was enough for me.  :)

I read that Bruno did very good at the box office in the US though. 
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #45 on: July 13, 2009, 04:32:09 pm »
To kick off our summer film festival, I would like to propose that we plan to watch Brokeback Mountain individually sometime between now and Monday, July 20th. As you are watching, think of something totally new that you see and can bring to the discussion. Or, compare the movie to another movie you've seen recently. I will set up a discussion area on the 20th, and we can bring our fresh insights to it!!

If for some reason you are not able to watch the movie, but want to participate, then read the short story and find something new or compare it to another story. It will work just as well.

If people want to have viewing buddies either in real life or online, that's great! Feel free to use the chat room for this purpose if you like.

I'm jazzed about Brokeback Renaissance!!

Hurray, 12 people want to watch Brokeback Mountain!! Schedule a time and day before July 20th, so we can all discuss it starting then for our Brokeback Renaissance Summer Film Festival!!

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #46 on: July 13, 2009, 10:47:58 pm »
OMG, I just saw Bruno and my sides hurt from laughing and screaming--out loud--at the screen, along with everyone else at the theatre. 

Chrissi, you will love the mock-German.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4M073dn2sss[/youtube]

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #47 on: July 14, 2009, 09:05:26 pm »
I'm glad to hear that about Bruno and will add it to my list. I could use a good laugh.

Meanwhile, here comes Harry Potter! I'm looking forward to a wonderful time tomorrow at the theater with my good friends!!

Everyone, don't forget to watch Brokeback Mountain before July 20 to kick off our Renaissance Summer Film Festival!!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #48 on: July 15, 2009, 01:04:56 pm »

Everyone, don't forget to watch Brokeback Mountain before July 20 to kick off our Renaissance Summer Film Festival!!

I'm so excited about discussing BBM anew with everyone! Here's the thread in the Open Forum set up for our discussions. You can start posting there now!! Let us know when and where, you're watching!! Oh, and if you're watching on Blu-Ray or Hi Def, let us know that too!

http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,36830.msg527064.html#new

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #49 on: July 16, 2009, 01:18:22 pm »
I'm so excited about discussing BBM anew with everyone! Here's the thread in the Open Forum set up for our discussions. You can start posting there now!! Let us know when and where, you're watching!! Oh, and if you're watching on Blu-Ray or Hi Def, let us know that too!

http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,36830.msg527064.html#new

Big weekend coming up!! Puleeeze watch Brokeback Mountain...it's about time!!