Author Topic: got laid off - HIRED!!!  (Read 24182 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: got laid off - HIRED!!!
« Reply #70 on: February 09, 2010, 07:17:54 pm »
Yee-haw, friend! Great to hear!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline ZK

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #71 on: February 11, 2010, 02:35:40 am »
Thats really fantastic news. Congrats

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #72 on: February 20, 2010, 08:04:18 pm »

Belated congratulations on your successful job hunt, Del!
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #73 on: February 20, 2010, 10:13:51 pm »
Thanks!!!

Things are going swimmingly right now.   ;D  My bosses love me and I seem to be adapting and I am catching on quite rapidly.

However one thing that I failed to take into account.  :P

I'm used to administrating to an 'entity' if you will - a client, a portfolio - not a person.

So instead of just keeping the client happy and making my boss happy, now not only do I have to make my bosses happy, I also have to make happy the two people whom I support.

While they are not my bosses, their opinions carry a lot of weight and if they don't like me or think me incompetent, nothing my administrative bosses think counts, ya know?

Before, if I mastered the work, I could be certain 99% of the time, that my position was secure.

Not so now.  Not only do I have to master the work, I also have to deal with the personality quirks of the two people I'll be supporting.

I've met one of them.  We had a two hour lunch and got along famously.  I like him and he seems to like and be impressed by me and he is someone I understand and can work with.

The other person has been out of the office on business.

She's the one I really thought I'd like and get along with.

She's dropped in several times and went out of her way to come greet me and give me hugs of welcome  ;D - and 98% of the people I've met tell me what a wonderful, quirky just neat person she is.

The other 2% tell me how changeable she is, how much she desires to draw people into a personality cult and how she constantly changes her mind, her dates and forgets that she did, so much so, that she blames her administrator and scheduler for goofing her up.

I've been warned not to be 'drawn in' by her.

:P :-\

Well, I'm going to just have to find out for myself, and try to keep a professional distance between us whether she like this or not.

Different office, different line of work, different issues.

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #74 on: February 21, 2010, 01:44:09 am »
Del - I think it's super that things are starting off so well for you!  I could not be happier.   :-* :-*

There's always going to be office politics and personalities to contend with.  You're definitely doing the right thing by the 'wait and see' attitude about the woman others have said is difficult.

Best of luck that things keep going in the right direction!
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #75 on: April 22, 2010, 09:39:13 pm »
So, how's it going now? Me, I'm celebrating one month at my new job!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #76 on: April 22, 2010, 10:30:19 pm »
So, how's it going now? Me, I'm celebrating one month at my new job!

You should check this page, Lee.

http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,11420.120.html

See Reply #122, the third post down.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
Re: got laid off - HIRED!!! Update on the best job in the world
« Reply #77 on: May 12, 2010, 12:34:21 am »
You should check this page, Lee.

http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,11420.120.html

See Reply #122, the third post down.

How is my job going?

As I said in my earlier posts, my bosses love me and I love the job.

When my mother was failing, my bosses said if, at any time, I needed to drop things and leave, to just leave, they'd work things out.

When my mother passed, my immediate boss and her husband drove 70 miles round trip to attend the Viewing.

If that wasn't a sign of how good these people are, later at the same viewing, I nearly fell to the floor when one of the doctors I support showed up!  :o  He came over to me, we stood in front of my mothers casket, and he held my hand the entire time, letting me talk, I told him what the doctors had told us (he's a doctor, anything I had a question on, he was able to answer), he literally walked around and spoke with my family members.  When I told him how little time I had off for bereavement, he instantly offered to write me a sick note ("I'm licensed to practice medicine in the state of Texas, I can write you whatever you want.").  The man's bedside manner is superb.  It isn't any wonder at all that he's been named one of the best pedi doctors in the state of Texas for two years.  My boss though tells me this isn't his professionalism showing, he truly is sincere in his actions.

At the funeral, my immediate boss came for the service.  Needless to say, my department sent flowers, everyone signed a sympathy card for me.

Remember, I just started working at this place and just met these people in the first week in February.

Did I get so much as an e-mail from the place I used to work?  Where I worked nearly 12 years?  Nope.  >:(

When I got back from leave, my other doctor came to my desk and gave me roses from her own garden.  Both doctors stopped as often as they could just to see how I was doing.

Ten days later, the same doctor who came to my mother's funeral, called me from out of the country where he was attending a conference just to ask me how I was doing and spent 20 minutes on the phone talking with me.  This doctor still finds time to check in with me to see how I am doing.  My immediate boss told me he's never done that for any of his other assistants - even when they weren't in a bad way.

Today, I couldn't be prouder of where I work.  The PA system crackled and a voice called out,

"CODE Pink"

By the time I looked at my security card to find out what that was, the PA was going on

"Missing child, age 6..."

At the exact same time, I heard doors being thrown open, the sound of feet running and voices,

"Where's so-and-so?"

"She's checking the other hall."

"OK, I'll head for the west corridor."

"I'll take this hall."

"X is already headed for the clinic area...Y is checking the fire escape"

The reaction to a missing child is for people to drop what they're doing and fan out to search the entire floor FAST and they do it with deadly seriousness.

I love my job and the people here.  :-*

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #78 on: May 12, 2010, 12:49:11 am »
I am so sorry about your loss, Del! I know very well what it feels like to lose your Mother. But I am really happy to hear so many people rallied around you. That must have felt very good indeed!
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #79 on: May 12, 2010, 05:16:13 am »
sound slike getting laid off really was a blessing in diguise. ((Del))
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/