Author Topic: Things in your life that you will remember  (Read 28368 times)

Offline jstephens9

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Things in your life that you will remember
« on: August 07, 2009, 09:48:28 pm »
I think there are things that either you do, hear, or whatever that will remain in your mind forever. This thread is dedicated to those things.

Offline jstephens9

Re: Things in your life that you will remember
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2009, 09:57:16 pm »
I remember sitting in this very small, hole in the wall, diner of sorts in New York City shortly after the death of Michael Jackson having a breakfast sandwich. There were three fairly young, maybe teenagers, that came and sat down beside me. The place only had maybe 6 seats at a bar up against the wall. It is a very small place. The song "I'll Be There" by The Jackson Five came on the radio station the restaurant had tuned in. The girls were speaking French I think. One said, "Michael Jackson." The one sitting next to me said "How sad." As many times as I have heard that song this is the thing I will remember forever when I hear that song from now on. Very few words, but they expressed a feeling that was somehow universal in any language.

Offline milomorris

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • No crybabies
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2009, 09:59:25 pm »
Back in 1988, the modeling agency I was working for sent me on a go-see for a print ad for Benneton. They were launching a new men's fragrance called Colors. So I went to my appointment with woman who was doing the casting, and she said, "I'm sorry. You're just not black enough." After we stopped laughing, she explained that they were looking for someone with a darker complexion, and more Africanized features.

I'll never forget that one.
  The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Offline jstephens9

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2009, 10:07:26 pm »
And another memory of the same trip that I will always remember that also had to do with Michael Jackson. I was on one of the double decker tour buses that I love to take in New York. A car pulled up beside the bus blasting the song "The Love You Save" by The Jackson Five. There were 4 girls in the car having an absolutely great time practically dancing in their seats, particularly the girl in the back behind the passenger seat. I wanted to get her attention to let her know I loved the music they were playing. She looked up and I threw up my thumb and said "great music." She threw up her thumb and said "all right!!!" She jumped around even more in her seat. Another universal thought!!! These girls would not have even been born when that song was released. Since I heard more of what they were playing, this was a Jackson Five CD, not the usual Thriller CD which impressed me.

Offline jstephens9

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2009, 10:11:24 pm »
Back in 1988, the modeling agency I was working for sent me on a go-see for a print ad for Benneton. They were launching a new men's fragrance called Colors. So I went to my appointment with woman who was doing the casting, and she said, "I'm sorry. You're just not black enough." After we stopped laughing, she explained that they were looking for someone with a darker complexion, and more Africanized features.

I'll never forget that one.

That is something to remember Milo!!! Thanks for posting here and keep posting please. So far I know I am sounding like a major Michael Jackson fan, but these were just the first thoughts that I wanted to get on paper. Actually I was more of a Jackson Five fan since those songs have that true soul feel to them which was not necessarily as true of the later Michael Jackson songs. That is why these things stick out in my mind. I love soul music!!!

Offline Katie77

• Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2009, 04:12:48 am »
I guess its pretty normal to remember hearing about the deaths of famous people.

Even though I was only 9 I remember vividly our next door neighbour telling my mum that President Kennedy had been killed.

And the morning, my little son was watching Humphrey B Bear, a cartoon morning show on TV, when there was a news break announcing Elvis had died.

And of course, the morning I signed in here, and went into chat as I usualy did back then, and someone said, "Did you hear about Heath Ledger", and I could not beleive what I was reading. Then I turned on the TV and it was on there everywhere, and I stood there dumbstruck just thinking, NO NO NO this cant be true.
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2009, 11:08:58 am »
A moment I'll always remember was when my son and I were sitting by the woodstove in the evening after he told me about his day. He put one earbud of his ipod in my ear and the other in his ear and we listened to some of his favorite music. It was Santana's Black Magic Woman. I did not tell him that I danced to that music as a young woman when it first came out. I just let it be his music that he was sharing with me.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Katie77

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2009, 05:01:57 pm »
OH yes Lee.....the things our kids have said or done that are forever etched in our memory.

My son aged about 10 at the time, went away on his first school camp. When he came home he told me about sitting around the campfire singing songs one night, and how he cried and missed me when they sang "Country Road, Take me Home".

To this day, whenever I hear that song, I picture my little home sick son singing the words through his tears. He is now 38 yrs old.

Offline Katie77

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2009, 07:46:43 pm »
What a lovely story Gary, as are all of the stories here. And yes Jeff, a great idea for a thread.

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2009, 07:54:52 pm »
One of the latest addition to my list of things ´ll remember is from Calgary a little over two weeks ago. I had just picked up my rental car at the airport and had found my way out on highway 2, heading south. The sun was shining and soon I was surrounded by the flat Alberta prairie. I had 5 days to myself. 5 days to fill in anyway I´d like. No deadlines, no "musts" what so ever. Just me, my car and the open road. My trip had only just begun. It was a perfect moment and I remember having a big grin on my face for several hours straight.