Author Topic: Julie and Julia  (Read 10493 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Julie and Julia
« on: August 09, 2009, 10:24:00 pm »
Saw Julie and Julia with my mother today!! I was entranced!! I am biased since Julia Child has always been a major heroine of mine (In fact, I entered her name in Women Who Admire on the Women Today Forum...her and her only!)

I have several Julia Child stories which I will relate on my blog. There has been a LOT of pre-publicity about this film and I was predisposed to dislike it since several people had published negative reviews. Don't be swayed by those reviews friends. (I think there should be a law that straight male movie critics should not be allowed to review this film!)

Critics said the Julie half of the movie was boring...I found it to be even more interesting than the Julia parts! I loved Amy Adams, as well as the guy who played her husband. The movie subtly conveyed the message that cooking for your beloved is a sexy thing to do and an aphrodisiac...I agree totally!! Critics also said the transitions from the Julie story to the Julia story were labored and artificial. I thought they were very well done!! Especially the part where Julie was making a recipe and Julia was also making the same recipe! Another thing I loved about the movie was that no one was movie star beautiful, but practically everyone radiated with an inner warmth and earnestness that made me love them.

Your thoughts on Julie and Julia? Did you get hunger pangs halfway during the movie??
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
Julie and Julia
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2009, 01:58:51 am »
Critics said the Julie half of the movie was boring...I found it to be even more interesting than the Julia parts! I loved Amy Adams, as well as the guy who played her husband. The movie subtly conveyed the message that cooking for your beloved is a sexy thing to do and an aphrodisiac...I agree totally!! Critics also said the transitions from the Julie story to the Julia story were labored and artificial. I thought they were very well done!! Especially the part where Julie was making a recipe and Julia was also making the same recipe! Another thing I loved about the movie was that no one was movie star beautiful, but practically everyone radiated with an inner warmth and earnestness that made me love them.

I haven't seen it yet, but I'm glad to hear you say this. I've been annoyed reading those reviews saying the Julie parts were boring. I like Amy Adams in general, and although Julie's achievement might not be quite as dramatic as Julia's it is interesting in its own right. So now I'm looking forward to the movie all the more.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
Julie and Julia
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2009, 02:30:58 am »
Saw Julie and Julia with my mother today!! I was entranced!! I am biased since Julia Child has always been a major heroine of mine (In fact, I entered her name in Women Who Admire on the Women Today Forum...her and her only!)

I have several Julia Child stories which I will relate on my blog. There has been a LOT of pre-publicity about this film and I was predisposed to dislike it since several people had published negative reviews. Don't be swayed by those reviews friends. (I think there should be a law that straight male movie critics should not be allowed to review this film!)

Your thoughts on Julie and Julia? Did you get hunger pangs halfway during the movie??

Thanks for the review Lee! I've been very curious about this movie. I love Meryl Streep and I easily remember all those Julia Child programs back when I was younger. Mom always watched them. :)

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

retropian

Julie and Julia
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2009, 08:52:49 am »

I saw Julie&Julia this weekend too, and I loved it! I had read some positive and some negative reviews, but all praised Meryl Streeps performance as another brilliant and seemingly effortless effort. I would have to agree. I think M. S. is so consistently good one forgets to appreciate her and end up taking her for granted. She becomes part of the background, part of the furniture. I was prepared to dislike the Any Adams parts but, no, I quite liked it. The film is a celebration of Julia Child and I could have watched a movie all about her, but I think the Julie sections represent how Julia Child has transformed American culture. There are parallels between the lives and state of being of Julie and Julia. Both are at a point in their lives where they feel adrift and bored and are searching for something to do, omething that sparks their passion. During the course of the film, they find what it is that brings them joy. I think too, that the Julie sections show how Julia Child was a force that changed and enhanced American life and culture by introducing and cultivating something that is so elemental and life enhancing; good food. How to prepare it without being intimidated. How to enjoy it and to a large degree how to enjoy life. Bon Apatite ;D!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
Julie and Julia
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2009, 10:14:47 am »
...Julia Child was a force that changed and enhanced American life and culture by introducing and cultivating something that is so elemental and life enhancing; good food. How to prepare it without being intimidated. How to enjoy it and to a large degree how to enjoy life. Bon Apatite ;D!
Amen, friend!! Julia's philosophy of "everything in moderation" resonated with me completely! I was a newlywed living in the San Joaquin Valley of California where the most exquisite foods and wines are to be found, and spa cuisine was all the rage, people were saying not to eat eggs, even! I rejected all the no-fat hoopla and I'm so glad I did. Streep, like Julia, went overboard in being accepting to life, embracing life and people, and rejecting fear and intolerance.

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
Re: Julie and Julia
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2009, 12:53:37 pm »
Thanks for the reviews.   :)  I've read Child's autobiography and Powell's book and enjoyed them both, so I'm looking forward to seeing this.  Meryl Streep is always amazing - so deserving of her many award nominations and wins.  It sounds like she may garner another nomination for this role. 
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2009, 11:32:01 pm »
I saw this tonight, and can still taste the butter!

Great film, wonderful performances.  Meryl Streep becomes  Julia!  Like many Bostonians, I love her old show, and have seen her around town many times.  I even saw her in Santa Barbara once (hi RouxB). 

Chris Messina as Eric Powell is seriously cute too.

Don't crowd the mushrooms!

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2009, 02:47:29 am »
***Minor spoilers***

I saw the movie this week and was charmed by it, too.  Meryl Streep captures that crazy treble voice and joie de vivre perfectly, although I think she has trouble actually being clumsy, as the real Julia Child was apt to be.  Amy Adams did a great job with the Julie Powell role, too.  You can tell the movie pretty much stuck with the real events; otherwise, there would surely have been more jacked-up suspense to see if Julie would meet her one year deadline, and I bet they'd have her meet Julia in the flesh, too.  One image I loved: the far shot of Julia and her husband jumping up and down on the porch when she got the offer from Knopf.

The funniest part of the movie?  Dan Ackroyd's Julia almost bleeding to death from a self-inflicted cutlery wound.  ;D
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2009, 08:48:00 am »
Funniest part for me:  when, in voiceover, Julia (in a letter, apparently) is describing a typical day in Paris-- I attend the Cordon Bleu from 9 til noon, then make lunch for Paul, then Paul takes a nap (camera shows something quite different!), then back to school for the afternoon...

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2009, 09:53:12 am »
Like many Bostonians, I love her old show, and have seen her around town many times. 
Recently?? Do you see many dead people??? :o

Chris Messina as Eric Powell is seriously cute too.
I thought he was adorable and couldn't understand why he was described as a nebbish or whatever.

Don't crowd the mushrooms!
...and have the courage of your convictions!