Author Topic: Finally...  (Read 18674 times)

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
Re: Finally...
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2006, 10:37:14 pm »
True, a big debate of feminism would be way OT. I'm just always surprised when a woman says she is not a feminist.

Oh dear, still not wanting this to turn into a feminist debate.....but now you have me intrigued.....as briefly as you can, tell me what " a feminist" is.....then I can tell you honestly whether I am one or not.....
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline 2robots4u

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2006, 12:35:11 am »
Oh, I just had to take this one ladies, if I may.  A feminist, brief and simple, is a female who believes her social, political, and economic rights to be equal to a man's.

There are many females who do not believe this creed, per se, but who will argue that she is entitled to the same pay as a man for the same job, but also believes a man should hold the door open and allow her to pass first.  This is a "fence-sitter", one who hasn't decided where she wants to be, and when confronted to take a side, will say it is just common manners for men to hold the door open.  And we are suppose to accept that; but what if I say it is a woman's place to stay home and run the house?  She gets all upset and calls me a chavuinist.  So you see, you can't support both theories; you've got to be, or not to be (paraphrasing the Bard).

I personally believe a woman should receive the same pay as me for the same job, and I don't mind opening a door for her, but at the same time, I don't want her to expect it from me simply because I am a man.  I also personally believe that men should get off their duffs and do some housework.  It ain't gonna kill ye (as my ancient aunt says).  So does that make me a feminist?  Yes, I believe so....

There, ladies, I've said it.  Now, Katie77, where do you fit in?

Doug

Offline serious crayons

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2006, 12:51:00 am »
Katie, I'd say Doug expressed it quite well. The only point I would dispute (and Doug contradicted himself on this a bit in his post) is this:

A feminist, brief and simple, is a female

I don't think a feminist necessarily has be female. But I'd say the rest of the sentence, that a feminist is a person "who believes her social, political and economic rights to be equal to a man's," more or less sums it up.

Offline 2robots4u

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2006, 01:09:08 am »
Your are correct.  I should have used "person".  Thanks, latjoreme...Doug

By the way, I wanted to start a new subect page but cannot find how to do it.  I did find a page that explains something about it, but when I started to post it, it didn't work.  Can you tell me how to start a new subject?  Thanks

Offline 2robots4u

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2006, 01:12:37 am »
As alway, I find what I need after I post for help.  The "new topic" is at the bottom of the "forum" page...Doug

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2006, 01:20:09 am »
As well as at the top. Let me know if you have any other questions. You can send a PM if it's easier.

Katherine

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2006, 06:24:39 am »
Oh, I just had to take this one ladies, if I may.  A feminist, brief and simple, is a female who believes her social, political, and economic rights to be equal to a man's.

There, ladies, I've said it.  Now, Katie77, where do you fit in?

Doug

Well I guess if that is the description of a feminist, then i am a feminist

But why use the word "feminist"....i am a female, my husband is a male, and our marriage and our life is on equal terms.....

On the positive side.....I appreciate that women had to fight for what we take for granted these days, so hopefully, the same will apply to the gay community...One day they might look back at these times and wonder "how could people have ever been so cruel and naive"....lets hope so.....
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2006, 09:14:43 am »
As for the feminist: all people should be feminist, because women's rights are Human Rights.

Equal human rights belong to every single human being on this planet, no matter what sex, race, sexual orientation, bodily shape, financial situation, religion, nationality, or whatever. It's as simple as that.

Discrimination of human beings is always the same: call it sexism, Nazism, racism - it always means to worship one human being about another. And this is simply wrong, wrong, wrong!
It does not matter if a person is gay, Hispanic or rich like the Queen herself, it matters if this person is a upright person or an a**ho...

, but back in the late '70s, when I liked reading Stephen King novels, my favorite was "The Stand,"
Katherine, it gets more and more funny, this is another thing we have in common: I'm not a King-fan, but back in the 80s I read my share of King's books, too. And The Stand was by far my favourite. It's the only Kinng book I really loved and read more than one time (though I think today I would not like it *that* much anymore).

Why did it affect us like this, and not others?.....
Katie, this is the million dollar question  ;D

Here is the thread Katherine mentioned (and started back then):

http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php?topic=2692.0

We didn't find the one and only answer and I think we never will. But this thread is 5 pages full of insightful thoughts about this question. Check it out, if you're interested.

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2006, 10:30:28 am »
And The Stand was by far my favourite. It's the only King book I really loved and read more than one time (though I think today I would not like it *that* much anymore).

Me too, Chrissi! And (more OT) I haven't read a Stephen King novel in probably 20 years. But a few years ago I did read his memoir/writing manual called "On Writing." It was quite interesting -- he tells about how he threw the manuscript for "Carrie" away and his wife pulled it out of the wastebasket, blew the cigarette ashes off of it, and urged him to get it published, how he went from a struggling writer with a teacher's day job to suddenly wealthy when he sold the paperback rights, how he became an alcoholic who could drink a case of beer a day (he doesn't drink now) ... He comes off as smart but not smug, not snooty about his wealth or success, with ordinary interests and tastes but impressive insights about writing, a very likeable guy.

And you may know that for the past few years, King has been publishing stories in the New Yorker, just like Annie Proulx! (I don't like his all that much, though.)

Also, to get slightly more on topic, you may also remember that King wrote a nice defense of BBM after the Oscars in Entertainment Weekly. If anyone's interested:

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/commentary/0,6115,1170378_1%7C%7C1145818_0_,00.html

But why use the word "feminist"....i am a female, my husband is a male, and our marriage and our life is on equal terms.....

I guess to distinguish between people who do and don't believe in gender equality -- there are still plenty of the latter out there (though they're not quite as obvious now as they once were).

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2006, 11:30:03 pm »
That doesn’t sound ridiculous. I remember a book called “Emergence” by David R. Palmer--plot line had some similarities to “The Stand” in that there was biological warfare and only two groups of people survived: one normal group (“the bad guys”), one group with a genetic mutation that made them immune to human disease. Most of the “mutants” were unaware of their genetic quirk until after the war, but nearly all of them were, as the author put it, “almost offensively happy,” productive, well-adjusted, super-intelligent.

So where do you suppose the evil group is? At the Dave Cullen site?

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Just kidding to anyone from there who's here -- unless you really are planning on starting an apocalyptic showdown.  ;D
« Last Edit: August 08, 2006, 11:32:30 pm by latjoreme »