Author Topic: Finally...  (Read 18471 times)

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Finally...
« Reply #50 on: August 16, 2006, 01:36:55 pm »
I actually really liked Leaving Las Vegas.  I saw it as not being just depressing, but actually life-affirming in a way.  Here are two people who loved each other completely, (fatal) flaws and all.  I found that aspect of it poignant but not depressing at all.  Yes, overall of course it is.  But I guess I was glad for the characters that in their bleak lives, they at least found each other and had some measure of happiness.  Wait - that has a familiar ring to it, hunh?

Perhaps I am masochistic.  People marvel that I went to see "World Trade Center" at all, let alone on opening night, when my husband is a pilot for American Airlines.  They say, "How could you watch that?"  I'd have gone and seen "United 93" when it was playing in the theaters if I'd had a chance, too, but there was too much going on in my life during its very short run here and I missed it.

I think in general movies should be like any other art form - they should make you think and feel - they should connect you to a part of yourself you didn't know existed or that you'd forgotten you had.  And they should haunt you.  If they don't, what's the point?  Or maybe that's just how I look at movies A.B. - After Brokeback.

I do occasionally go to movies for pure escapist fun, too.  If I didn't, I'd never have seen "Spider-Man" or "Superman Returns" or "Crash."  ;)
No more beans!

Offline serious crayons

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #51 on: August 16, 2006, 01:46:37 pm »
Perhaps I am masochistic.  People marvel that I went to see "World Trade Center" at all, let alone on opening night, when my husband is a pilot for American Airlines. 

I saw "WTC" and had no problem with it, depression-wise (I mean the movie, of course, not the actual event), though then again my husband isn't a pilot.

I meant to say this earlier and forgot, but Diane, I loved "Napoleon Dynamite"! (I also saw it because of my kids, but I was glad I did.)

And speaking of emotions -- I already plugged this once in Barb's director poll, but what the heck, it's worth mentioning twice -- I just saw and loved "Little Miss Sunshine." It made me laugh AND cry.

Offline dly64

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #52 on: August 16, 2006, 02:06:39 pm »
I meant to say this earlier and forgot, but Diane, I loved "Napoleon Dynamite"! (I also saw it because of my kids, but I was glad I did.)

And speaking of emotions -- I already plugged this once in Barb's director poll, but what the heck, it's worth mentioning twice -- I just saw and loved "Little Miss Sunshine." It made me laugh AND cry.

I'd love to tell you that I enjoyed "Napoleon Dynamite," but I can't. A bunch of people I know really like it and it has created somewhat of a cult following. This is when I am told, “Lighten up, girl!!” Oh well … to each his own!

As for “Little Miss Sunshine” … that is a film I would like to see. I have heard it is great. I’ll let you know if I can get to the theaters in time to see it. Things come and go here relatively fast!
Diane

"We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em."

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #53 on: August 16, 2006, 03:33:59 pm »
FWIW, I loved Napoleon Dynamite, too.  I can't exactly explain why, but I just laughed myself silly too many times to count (though I do remember two scenes in particular that set me off).
No more beans!

Offline Momof2

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • BLISS
« Reply #54 on: August 16, 2006, 03:36:05 pm »
I went to see World Trade Center on opening night with my husband.  My husband is a firefighter and I was a little shocked that he wanted to go see it.  Wow!  I thought I was going to have to leave right after it started.  Just an overhelming sense of loss.  It was hard for me to watch.  When it was over not one person in there said a word.  The quietest exit I have ever seen.

How can people be so cruel and not care about another human any more than that.  I am a Christian also.  I unfortunately have "opinions" about certain groups.  But I am extremely accepting of everyone.  I do not think that I am any better or have a right to judge any one.  I have just as many problems as anyone else so how can I point a finger.  I wish we could all go to sleep and wake up and all of the crazy bigotry be gone.

For anyone else reading that does not live in the USA do you have the same problems in your country?
I wish I knew how to quit you.

Offline silkncense

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • "It's alright; 's alright."
« Reply #55 on: August 16, 2006, 10:08:09 pm »
I think in general movies should be like any other art form - they should make you think and feel

Barb -

A movie you might enjoy: A Love Divided (from Ireland, 1999).

To use dogma as a way to impose one’s beliefs on someone else drives me crazy. I have not been put on this planet to judge another person for how s/he chooses to live his/her life. I am a Christian, but that doesn’t mean ...

Momof2 - You might find it quite interesting as well.  In fact, you might all find it very thought provoking. 

"……when I think of him, I just can't keep from crying…because he was a friend of mine…"

Offline 2robots4u

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #56 on: August 17, 2006, 03:53:07 am »
I've been reading all the postings since I last was able to get into the site, and these have been very interesting, covering a lot of range, so I thought I would share this with you:

Yesterday I was responding to a request at imdb for gay romance novels, and went to my library to get the 3 I was referring to so that I could list them in order..they are a trilogy...I discovered this quote, apparently having missed it when I read the book the first time in 1973:

"I say if it's love, the Lord won't mind.  There's enough hate in the world"
                            --Mrs. Sapphire Hall
                              Harlen, 1940

Gordon Merrick took his title, "The Lord Won't Mind",  from the quote..

Here's anothe gem I found; don't know where or when.

A Shower of Life

Stand in the shower holding hands.  Rinse in a cool stream of humility.  With the cloth of indulgence, work up a thick lather with the soap of acceptance and understanding.  Rinse in a warm stream of peace and love.  Dry yourself with the towel of humanity.

I think of this everytime I step into my shower....Doug

Offline dly64

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #57 on: August 17, 2006, 09:03:06 am »
A Shower of Life

Stand in the shower holding hands.  Rinse in a cool stream of humility.  With the cloth of indulgence, work up a thick lather with the soap of acceptance and understanding.  Rinse in a warm stream of peace and love.  Dry yourself with the towel of humanity.

Doug - I love that one! Beautiful! Thanks for sharing that. What a nice way to start my day!
Diane

Offline dly64

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #58 on: August 18, 2006, 03:37:15 pm »
I thought this thread would be an appropriate place to share this ….

I had gotten on to You Tube and saw this video (which most of you probably have already seen):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-oZ1Ijn-9c

I loved it so much I decided to share it with two of my co-workers. Keep in mind I work for a Christian based insurance and financial company and many people are quite conservative. Everyone who knows me is aware that I have a “beyond obsession” about BBM. These two women had no desire to see the film because of the “gay elements.” I convinced them to “just watch” this short video. Afterwards, they were both in tears. The response I got was:
1.   “This doesn’t look like a ‘gay cowboy movie.’ It looks like it has a lot more to the story than I thought”; and
2.   “I can see why you love this film.”

Those comments were based on a four minute clip. Now they want to see the film!

If only people would see it ……then they’d know how great it truly is!
Diane

Offline fernly

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #59 on: August 19, 2006, 12:43:33 am »
Quote from: dly64
I had gotten on to You Tube and saw this video (which most of you probably have already seen):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-oZ1Ijn-9c

I loved it so much I decided to share it with two of my co-workers. Keep in mind I work for a Christian based insurance and financial company and many people are quite conservative. Everyone who knows me is aware that I have a “beyond obsession” about BBM. These two women had no desire to see the film because of the “gay elements.” I convinced them to “just watch” this short video. Afterwards, they were both in tears. The response I got was:
1.   “This doesn’t look like a ‘gay cowboy movie.’ It looks like it has a lot more to the story than I thought”; and
2.   “I can see why you love this film.”

I hadn't seen that one, Diane. It's beautiful....and the words, damn.   "...keep breathin' cause I'm not leavin' you anymore..."   All the words fit the story so well. Thank you for posting the link.

I'm interested in hearing what your co-workers have to say after they see the movie.

« Last Edit: August 19, 2006, 01:19:23 am by fernly »
on the mountain flying in the euphoric, bitter air