Author Topic: "Glee" anybody?  (Read 190520 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
"Glee" anybody?
« on: September 17, 2009, 11:08:49 am »
So has anyone else begun watching "Glee"? I blush to admit it's becoming one of my guilty pleasures. I've seen some great singing and dancing in the first two regular episodes.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
Re: "Glee" anybody?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2009, 11:28:00 am »

Hi Jeff,

Yep, I'm watching Glee.  I think it's very good.  I have always gotten a kick out of high school angst movies (or in this case TV show)... a la The Breakfast Club, etc.  So, Glee appeals to me.  And, I just think it's fun, entertaining viewing.

I like to have silly TV shows as guilty pleasures too.  To me it's a fun way to unwind after a stressful day.

Also, I'm thrilled to see Jane Lynch in Glee.  She was a character in the L Word, and she was great in that too.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2009, 12:00:03 pm »
After last night's episode I was ruminating about the fact that Kurt, the gay boy, is, yet again, a stereotype (his father took his car away after he found the tiara collection in Kurt's hope chest  ::) ), but then I realized that all the kids are pretty much stereotypes--the overweight, sassy African American girl; the nerd; the jock; the Jewish Barbra Streisand wannabe (who was told last night that she needed a nose job)--so why should the gay boy be an exception? I decided that I'm not gonna let it bother me. I'm just gonna enjoy the music and some pretty hot dancing!

When Matthew Morrison (Will Schuester) starts singing and dancing--yeehaw!  :laugh:

My high school glee club wasn't anything like that. They just stood around on risers and sang!  :laugh:
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2009, 01:34:08 pm »
Yeah, I think you're right.  I think that the show is actually, at least partially, about exposing stereotypes... or about playing up stereotypes in order to critique them.

Also, from the first episode, we learned that the brunette, star-wanabe in the glee club (that main character... forgetting her name at the moment) is the daughter of a gay-male couple.  Is there any representation of lesbian identity yet in the show?  I missed some of this most recent episode.  Sometimes I don't know what's worse... being stereotyped or being invisible.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2009, 03:17:05 pm »
Also, from the first episode, we learned that the brunette, star-wanabe in the glee club (that main character... forgetting her name at the moment) is the daughter of a gay-male couple.  Is there any representation of lesbian identity yet in the show?  I missed some of this most recent episode.  Sometimes I don't know what's worse... being stereotyped or being invisible.

The one I called the Barbra Streisand wannabe? Her name is Rachel, and I missed the gay-male couple thing, probably because my dad phoned me in the middle of the show last week.  :laugh:  I don't recall noticing any lesbian presence yet--unless Sue Sylvester (Jane Lynch) turns out to be lesbian. Last night we just had Kurt coming out to Mercedes, and the goofball who was stalking Josh Groban.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2009, 03:34:20 pm »

Yeah, I've been wondering if Jane Lynch will turn out to be a lesbian in Glee too (given that it's something the actress is known-for, from the L Word, etc.).   I didn't know if I'd missed something about that already.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2009, 04:23:24 pm »
Yeah, I've been wondering if Jane Lynch will turn out to be a lesbian in Glee too (given that it's something the actress is known-for, from the L Word, etc.).   I didn't know if I'd missed something about that already.

Not that I'm aware of.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2009, 08:44:12 am »
Well, I guess I'm going to have to make a choice.  :(

I see by TV Guide that Glee is scheduled against two old favorites, Law & Order: SVU, which has been moved from 10 p.m. on Tuesdays, and Criminal Minds.  :(

So, which hot guy do I like the best, Matthew Morrison on Glee, Chris Meloni on L&O:SVU, or Shemar Moore on Criminal Minds?  ;D

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2009, 12:15:43 am »
I hope you watched Glee tonight Jeff!  It was a really good episode.  Some truly hilarious moments (I actually found myself laughing out loud at one point).  The football team dancing on the field in full gear just absolutely cracked me up.  I thought they did that really well. But, then a really touching set of scenarios with Kurt.  The exchange with his Dad at the end was very well done I thought.

I also thought that Jane Lynch was fantastic tonight.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2009, 11:15:11 pm »
I don't watch TV, but I was happy to find "Glee" on fox.com.  

This show is hilarious.  It's the kind of over-the-top, broad humor I like.  Reminds me of "Scrubs"; or, better--it's like "The Office" goes to high school.

I love how the characters very sincerely inhabit their sterotypes.  

BTW, I looked up Matthew Morrison:  he had quite a Broadway career--Link in "Hairspray" and Fabrizio in "The Light in the Piazza".   Oh, that hair...

Here he is in the as Lt. Cable in the Lincoln Center revival of "South Pacific":  his pants sure are going south: