Author Topic: Donnie Darko - SPOILERS  (Read 34531 times)

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Donnie Darko - SPOILERS
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2006, 01:14:51 am »
Oh shit.  That was intense. 

Offline Mikaela

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2006, 02:46:38 am »
Wasn't it just?   8)

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2006, 03:14:14 pm »
Yesterday I wanted to see DD again. But my VCR did not tape it, for whatever reason >:(
My husband did the programming and I checked it (men! you know? never trust them  ;)). Don't know how this could happen. Now I ordered it via amazon.

I had never heard the name Mary McDonnell before DD, but she seemed somehow familiar to me. I looked her up at IMDB and was surprised how many movies I had seen with her acting in them: Independence Day, Sneakers, the TV series ER and most surprisingly to me: she was "Stands With A Fist" from Dances with Wolves  :o
I never would have recognized her and never pulled together that all those roles were played by one and the same person.

So Jake has worked together with half the ER-cast (ok, "half" this a bit of an exaggeration): Linda Cardellini, Mary McDonnell and Noah Wyle, who was also in DD. Any more?

Now I've read some about DD and am all the more eager to see it again.

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "It's nobody's business but ours."
    • "every sort of organized noise"
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2006, 03:31:01 pm »
Hope everyone noticed that he wears brown contacts--nice Jewish boy. O.K. half-Jewish. But he looks Jewish with the brown eyes.

I've only seen the Direcdtor's Cut.; Recommended by the video store--real experts there, huh?

yeah, it seems typical of a 9-foot-tall terrifying rabbit that he'd tell you the world was coming to an end, when it was only...you that was.

That's his sister that plays his sister, rigtht?\

I know, why don't I read the thread-?-cause i don't have time right now!
"We're each of us alone, to be sure. What can you do but hold your hand out in the dark?" --"Nine Lives," by Ursula K. Le Guin, from The Wind's Twelve Quarters

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2006, 07:09:07 pm »
Hope everyone noticed that he wears brown contacts--nice Jewish boy. O.K. half-Jewish. But he looks Jewish with the brown eyes.

Umm, his eyes are really blue in the scene where he's sleeping through the football game with his father and friends and the invisible 'spears' start coming out of their chests.

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2006, 07:44:28 pm »
Umm, his eyes are really blue in the scene where he's sleeping through the football game with his father and friends and the invisible 'spears' start coming out of their chests.

Yep.  They just look really dark in certain light (or lack thereof).  They're not those "see-through" kind of blue eyes like my mother used to call the kind with no dark outer rim.  Most times, they're like a blue, blue sea on a blue, blue day.  And like the sea, they change colors.

Sigh.  I *really* need to get back in touch with reality.  Trouble is my fantasy life is so much more fulfilling.
No more beans!

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2006, 01:16:59 pm »
Actually, I don't tell ppl about the 9 foot rabbit appearing to the main character when discussing the movie. I get that "your kidding me look, no way I'm going to rent that."

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2006, 02:00:25 pm »
Actually, I don't tell ppl about the 9 foot rabbit appearing to the main character when discussing the movie. I get that "your kidding me look, no way I'm going to rent that."

Me, neither.  I don't tell them anything about it.  But then, I *am* careful not to lend it out/recommend it to people I know aren't fans of non-linear stuff.  We all know who those people are - the kind that would have seen this beautiful film in the theater and stood up at the end and loudly said, "That was SO stupid."  (I know you are, but what am I?  ;))
No more beans!

Offline Ellemeno

A Mind-Messin' Quiz Question for all you Donnie Darkologists.
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2006, 06:06:05 pm »
I have now watched Donnie Darko with and without the audio commentary.  Here's sumthin' - at the end of the commentary, Richard Kelly, the director, says something like, "And the last names on the credits are my parents, who made this possible." (His words were more humorous, but that was the gist.) 

Here's the Mind-Messin' Quiz Question - what are the names of the director's parents? 

(I will merge this in with the Donnie Darko thread once we have gotten a response.)

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
Re: A Mind-Messin' Quiz Question for all you Donnie Darkologists.
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2006, 07:16:53 pm »
Not having seen the credits and not having access to my DVD right now (not that I would have cheated or anything ;)), I'll take a flyer at Eddie and Elizabeth.

No more beans!