Author Topic: Donnie Darko - SPOILERS  (Read 34905 times)

Offline brokebackjack

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: Donnie Darko - SPOILERS
« Reply #50 on: April 05, 2007, 04:01:39 am »
I thought it all happened as well.
I wonder if it was brought on by the pills he was taking...and am trying to figure out the connection between his sister's BF and the Bunny Rabbit.

By the way, I would have had the same reaction Donny's father did when informed he'd told Miss Farmer to take the card and place it up her anus lol
"I couldn't stand it no more so i fixed it"

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #51 on: April 05, 2007, 08:55:44 am »
It all really happened.  But Donnie is the only one who knew that.  To everyone else, it was just a dream.  :)
No more beans!

Offline brokebackjack

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #52 on: April 05, 2007, 10:01:20 am »
yeah, that's exactly what I thought, too.
Everyone thought the kid was dreaming but he wasn't, he actually saw these things, actually lived these things. There WAS a 6 foot bunny rabbit from another universe in Donny's life.

Do you have any idea why it took the form of Frank?

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #53 on: April 05, 2007, 10:09:37 am »
Maybe because Frank was ultimately a sympathetic character.  When he took off the bunny head, he was just a kid his sister knew.  Remember - he was at the Halloween party.  Donnie's sister says at one point "Has anyone seen Frank?" (which is so funny on a couple of levels) and someone else says, "I think he went on a beer run" or something like that.

And Frank really did design and wear that bunny suit for Halloween.  I think it's more that Frank came through the portal wearing it than that the bunny was some other creature entirely.

No more beans!

Offline brokebackjack

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #54 on: April 05, 2007, 10:14:51 am »
That makes sense, that 'Frank' came through the portal after designing the Bunny. I have to watch it again later and see if I can get any more detail.

That business with Grandma death's book certainly would make for a much more understandable film by the way. Wonder why it was cut out in the theatrical edition...

Offline sparklemotion

• Don't Say Much
« Reply #55 on: April 05, 2007, 03:05:54 pm »
Donnie Darko is a favorite - see screen name :)  I'm wanting to order it on DVD, but can't decide between original and director cut.  Maybe I should get both?

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #56 on: April 05, 2007, 03:10:36 pm »
Donnie Darko is a favorite - see screen name :)  I'm wanting to order it on DVD, but can't decide between original and director cut.  Maybe I should get both?

Get both.  Both are different experiences.  Even some of the background music is changed.  And when the "Chut up" girl (can't remember her name off the top of my head) does the swan dance, in the original someone yelled 'get off the stage'.  In the "Director's cut" that is omitted!

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #57 on: April 05, 2007, 03:14:31 pm »
Referencing this thread: http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,697.msg10039.html#msg10039

The Del Mar theatre in Santa Cruz was showing BBM and then had midnight shows of Donnie Darko.  They was also showing Heath in Cassanova too.

This was all too much coincidence!   :D  :D

Offline sparklemotion

• Don't Say Much
« Reply #58 on: April 05, 2007, 03:53:37 pm »
Thank you, sfericsf.  How fun would it be to see Donnie Darko at that theatre?

Offline brokebackjack

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #59 on: April 05, 2007, 05:46:34 pm »
I went out and ordered the score and complete music selection toady....then came back wondering why I hadn't used ebay!!! 36 bucks, its a UK import, and they had to actually get it from the UK.

I will look for the original theatrical version of DD. You have no idea how much I'm into this film!