Author Topic: Donnie Darko - SPOILERS  (Read 34884 times)

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
Re: Donnie Darko - SPOILERS
« Reply #60 on: April 05, 2007, 08:19:22 pm »
Maybe because Frank was ultimately a sympathetic character.  When he took off the bunny head, he was just a kid his sister knew.  Remember - he was at the Halloween party.  Donnie's sister says at one point "Has anyone seen Frank?" (which is so funny on a couple of levels) and someone else says, "I think he went on a beer run" or something like that.

And Frank really did design and wear that bunny suit for Halloween.  I think it's more that Frank came through the portal wearing it than that the bunny was some other creature entirely.

I read a really cool sexual intepretation of DD once.

POSSIBLE SPOILERS!!!!!!!!  POSSIBLE SPOILERS!!!!!!!!  POSSIBLE SPOILERS!!!!!!!!  POSSIBLE SPOILERS!!!!!!!!

Frank was the guy Donnie's sister was dating and probably having sex with as well.  His is the car that passes Donnie the morning he's biking home.  When she comes in from her date at the beginning of the movie, you hear the car honking - that's why she's smiling.  The article talks about the sexual tension between brother and sister.  Brother still struggling to express his sexuality while his sister is well into it;  drawing the brother's attention, so much so, his strange apparition, the guy who saves his life, Donnie's 'god' figure is the guy who's fucking his sister.

Offline brokebackjack

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #61 on: April 05, 2007, 09:18:55 pm »
I read a really cool sexual intepretation of DD once.

POSSIBLE SPOILERS!!!!!!!!  POSSIBLE SPOILERS!!!!!!!!  POSSIBLE SPOILERS!!!!!!!!  POSSIBLE SPOILERS!!!!!!!!

Frank was the guy Donnie's sister was dating and probably having sex with as well.  His is the car that passes Donnie the morning he's biking home.  When she comes in from her date at the beginning of the movie, you hear the car honking - that's why she's smiling.  The article talks about the sexual tension between brother and sister.  Brother still struggling to express his sexuality while his sister is well into it;  drawing the brother's attention, so much so, his strange apparition, the guy who saves his life, Donnie's 'god' figure is the guy who's fucking his sister.
I've only seen it 3 times so have to look again...but i remember the shrinks office where Donnie is saying that sex with anyone in his family is gross,and no way, all while under hypnosis. that makes me hesitate to agree with the theory. But is is fascinating!
"I couldn't stand it no more so i fixed it"

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #62 on: April 05, 2007, 10:55:40 pm »
I've only seen it 3 times so have to look again...but i remember the shrinks office where Donnie is saying that sex with anyone in his family is gross,and no way, all while under hypnosis.

Aha, but that means he'd been thinking about it.  ;D

that makes me hesitate to agree with the theory. But is is fascinating!

Yeah, I'm not sure I agree with it either, but it was fascinating to read.  Wish I could remember where I saw the article.  Maybe I'll go try to find it.

Offline brokebackjack

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #63 on: April 05, 2007, 11:03:44 pm »
No she phrased the question in a way which made him think she was ASKING if he had the hots for somebody in the family

lol

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #64 on: April 05, 2007, 11:08:46 pm »
Found it!

You have to read through a lot to get to the sister and sex part and it has spoilers, so for someone who hasn't seen it - you've been warned.

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20041102/EDITOR/41022001

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #65 on: April 06, 2007, 10:45:42 am »
Cool.  I always figured his sister was dating Frank, too - from the honking and her asking at the party "Has anyone seen Frank?" (why would she want to know otherwise?).  I never made that interpretation that that's why he was the one who came through the portal, but it's kind of an interesting one, and one I don't think is beneath/above the writer/director to be making.
No more beans!

Offline brokebackjack

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #66 on: April 06, 2007, 12:06:50 pm »
I'm going to watch it again, today, it's a good Easter movie.

LOL

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #67 on: April 06, 2007, 01:30:07 pm »
Cool.  I always figured his sister was dating Frank, too - from the honking and her asking at the party "Has anyone seen Frank?" (why would she want to know otherwise?).  I never made that interpretation that that's why he was the one who came through the portal, but it's kind of an interesting one, and one I don't think is beneath/above the writer/director to be making.

I completely missed all that, til I heard the director explain it in the commentary.

Offline brokebackjack

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #68 on: April 06, 2007, 01:32:37 pm »
How did frank find the portal?

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #69 on: April 06, 2007, 08:03:40 pm »
I'm going to watch it again, today, it's a good Easter movie.

Heh, DD is one of my Halloween movies.  I watch DD and Sleepy Hollow every Halloween.