Author Topic: "Whatever Happened to Ennis del Mar?" panel in LA!  (Read 50211 times)

Offline BayCityJohn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
    • BBM Foundation
Re: "Whatever Happened to Ennis del Mar?" panel in LA!
« Reply #50 on: December 06, 2009, 04:04:01 pm »
Here's a link to Kenneth Turan's review of Brokeback Mountain from December 2005, just in case anyone missed it. as if.

http://www.calendarlive.com/movies/turan/cl-et-brokeback9dec09,0,186375.story

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #51 on: December 07, 2009, 01:35:45 pm »
his reply:

The first day, they took us into the hills on what I now call "The Brokeback Tour."  Our guide pointed out a forlorn cabin owned by someone named Childress, which is where she got the name of Jack Twist's town in Texas.

She also told us that Ang Lee scouted locations here at Proulx's request. This may be folklore, but he apparently stopped at a bar down the road from Ucross, and got thrown out by the owner who did not like Asians or Gays and that's why he took his business to Canada.

Facinating!

Offline BayCityJohn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
    • BBM Foundation
« Reply #52 on: December 08, 2009, 01:50:18 am »

Offline BayCityJohn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
    • BBM Foundation
« Reply #53 on: December 10, 2009, 12:58:05 pm »
Current attendee list

1 Ronald    (friend of Pete)         
2 Steve      (friend of Pete)
3 Tom          (friend of Pete)
4 Greg                               (friend of Pete)       
5 Pete Tannen
6 Eric Hooper
7 John Trudell
8 Linda Andrews
9 scot5636
10 deblibdir (DC)
11 Michael Flanagan
12 Jimmy (gnash)
13Jim Grr
14 Joe Denny (WLAGuy)
15 Lyle           
16 Sparky      (tentative)                             
17 RouxB       (tentative)
18 Welles
19 sunspot
20 RickB

Offline BayCityJohn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
    • BBM Foundation
« Reply #54 on: December 10, 2009, 04:55:33 pm »
Out West Event at The Autry: "It's My History Too"
Filed by: Patricia Nell Warren

December 10, 2009 3:00 PM

Back in August, I reported on a historic event at The Autry National Center of the American West in Los Angeles. As I stood in the crowd with L.A. press, museum staff and Stetson-topped members of the International Gay Rodeo Association, (IGRA) the two iconic cowboy shirts worn by Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhaal in Brokeback Mountain were installed in the museum's showcase on classic Contemporary Westerns. Just yards away was another exhibit featuring cowboy wear and horse gear that belonged to founder and famed actor Gene Autry himself. The two shirts, tucked together on their hanger as in the film, had been put on loan by vintage Westerniana collector Tom Gregory.

That event sparked the planning of "Out West," a series of upcoming lectures at The Autry, which will explore -- for the first time ever -- the LGBT side of Western history -- from gunfighters to women ranchers and Native American healers, and of course that provocative male figure, the cowboy. This coming Sunday, December 13, "Out West" will offer its first program from 3:00 p.m. to 5 p.m.

Panelists: William Handley, USC professor of English; Peter Nardi, Pitzer professor of sociology; and Kenneth Turan, Los Angeles Times film critic. With support from moderator Virginia Scharff, professor of history at the University of New Mexico, the three will dig deep into the canyon walls of contemporary Western life, to excavate some answers to that question: "What Ever Happened to Ennis del Mar?"

The film left that question hanging in the air.

Though many Americans today think of the West as that phalanx of "red states" on the TV map during election night, the West can surprise with its sudden shiftings of spiritual sunlight and shadow, its social landslides that can reveal unsuspected layerings of raw experience and challenge. In fact, the West's essential quirkiness has enabled all kinds of LGBT people to find something out here -- from hiding places to homes. At times, we have not only survived here, but thrived here.

Arrival of the two shirts inspired the Autry's staff to decide that they wanted to explore those centuries of hidden LGBT lives. In so doing, The Autry became the first major American museum to recognize the contribution of LGBT people to the American West.

Sponsors of the series have been generous with their support -- Tom Gregory, HBO, the Gill Foundation, and the Small Change Foundation, in association with GLAAD, HRC, the Courage Campaign, and the Gay and Lesbian Rodeo Heritage Foundation.

Looking Back
Creator and consulting producer of the series is Montana, Wyoming, Colorado-raised author and filmmaker Gregory Hinton, the man who brought Tom Gregory and the shirts to The Autry.

In Los Angeles the other day, at a little French eatery on 3rd Avenue, I sat with Gregory over brunch and we "chewed the rag," as my rancher dad used to say, about growing up gay in the West. There we were in the West's vastest city, geographically far from our childhood haunts, yet spiritually still close to -- and making our peace with -- those powerful influences of land and weather and people and conquest that shaped us both.

I asked Gregory how and why, after writing books and making films, he took an unexpected trail to planning these historic history lectures.

"It started with my dad," he told me, "-- with going back to Cody, Wyoming, where I grew up as a boy."

Kip Hinton had been editor of the Cody Enterprise, founded by Buffalo Bill. A fire had destroyed an archive of the newspaper's original copies, but the Autry Library arranged to borrow microfilm of the complete set from 1956-1962, when Gregory lived in Cody. Rediscovering all the wonderful columns that his dad had written, with their small-town humor and skill at saying a lot with few words, Gregory found himself reconnecting with his home state as a grown man, in a way that he had never dared to do as a kid.

"And the sole reason for not being there before," he told me, "was because I was gay."

Early this year, while working on his latest novel Night Rodeo, Gregory discovered The Autry and started going there to write. Setting up his laptop in a quiet corner of the sunny patio, he sometimes took a break to wander through the galleries so richly crammed with arts and artifacts and memorabilia -- with The Autry's original Museum of the American West made even vaster by addition of the Southwest Museum of the American Indian, and the Institute for Study of the American West.

"It was enormously comforting," Gregory said, "like walking through my childhood. The staff got used to having me around. I've probably been there a hundred times this year."

Looking at the Charlie Russell paintings and Remington bronzes and Indian arts, and hearing all the talk of "Western history," Gregory suddenly had another powerful sense of reconnection -- of ownership in something that he'd never felt was his before.

"It's my history too," he told me.

more....
http://www.bilerico.com/2009/12/out_west_event_at_the_autry_its_my_history_too.php

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #55 on: December 10, 2009, 05:00:22 pm »
Current attendee list

1 Ronald    (friend of Pete)         
2 Steve      (friend of Pete)
3 Tom          (friend of Pete)
4 Greg                               (friend of Pete)       
5 Pete Tannen
6 Eric Hooper
7 John Trudell
8 Linda Andrews
9 scot5636
10 deblibdir (DC)
11 Michael Flanagan
12 Jimmy (gnash)
13Jim Grr
14 Joe Denny (WLAGuy)
15 Lyle           
16 Sparky      (tentative)                             
17 RouxB       (tentative)
18 Welles
19 sunspot
20 RickB

What a great group! I wish I could be there!  :'( I also wish I would see horsewrangler's name there too!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline BayCityJohn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
    • BBM Foundation
« Reply #56 on: December 10, 2009, 09:09:07 pm »
The 'Out West' Series at the Autry National Center

Audio interview with Gregory Hinton on KUOR (Southern California Public Radio)

http://www.scpr.org/news/2009/12/10/out-west-series-autry-national-center/

Offline BayCityJohn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
    • BBM Foundation
« Reply #57 on: December 10, 2009, 09:27:10 pm »
“Better Two than One: THE SHIRTS FROM BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN”
Remarks by Gregory Hinton

excerpt:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It is for this reason I look forward to working with Dr. Steve Aron on “Gay in the
West,” the symposium we are planning with the Autry Institute for the Study of
the American West and UCLA. We have some great speakers we want you to get
to know plus we want to hear your stories, also.

To know us is to love us. And that is why when we quit our rural communities,
they lose too.

In this regard, Annie Proulx recently wrote me the following:

I wish Mr. Hinton good fortune in his work. He is tragically
right when he says western rural communities lose very much
when gay men and women have to leave the state. I know some
gay people who have stayed. Gradually the community accepts
them, but only if they are born there.

I recently returned to Wyoming with the ashes of my beloved older brother,
Scotty, and Ron, his partner of thirty years. Before he died, my brother requested
that they be scattered in Crazy Woman Creek, in the shadow of the Big Horn
Mountains. After life in urban Southern California, my western brother yearned
for his rural past till the end.

For those of us who come from the West, it’s in our blood and never lets us go.
Seated here today, in this gallery called the Spirit of Imagination, are Saddle
Bronc Riders, Chute Doggers, Barrel Racers and Bull Riders, some who also
happen to be Gay or Lesbian. I look at them and ask you.

What is not to love?

When I study these intertwined shirts, like the character of Ennis Del Mar in
Brokeback Mountain, I am overcome with survivor’s guilt. Lovers, brothers, a
cowboy father wanting to protect his sons, when I look at the shirts, I am grateful
they will always be together. It makes sense. It’s what we all hope for. It’s what
anybody deserves. Better two than one. Better two together, than two alone.
I’ll close with a brief reading from Annie Proulx’s short story, Brokeback Mountain
and then I have a few people to thank.

(Remembering, here, Heath Ledger)

“The shirt seemed heavy until he saw there was another shirt inside it, the sleeves
carefully worked down inside Jack’s sleeves. It was his own plaid shirt, lost he’d thought,
in some damn laundry, his dirty shirt, the pocket ripped, buttons missing, stolen by Jack
and hidden here inside Jack’s own shirt, the pair like two skins, one inside the other, two
in one. He pressed his face into the fabric, and breathed in slowly through his mouth and
nose, hoping for the faintest smoke and mountain sage and salty sweet stink of Jack but
there was no real scent, only the memory of it, the imagined power of Brokeback
Mountain of which nothing was left but what he held in his hands.”

PDF of the complete Out West first chapter

http://media.scpr.org/images/news/2009/12/10/Autry_Comments-Hinton.pdf

Offline ptannen

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #58 on: December 10, 2009, 09:29:34 pm »
List as of 12-10

1 Ronald           
2 Steve                    
3 Tom      
4 Greg      
5 Pete Tannen         Lunch
6 Eric Hoooper      Lunch
7 John Trudell         Lunch
8 Linda Andrews         Lunch
9 Scott Price (scot5636)         
10 deblibdir Lunch
11 Michael Flanagan         Lunch
12 Jimmy (gnash)         
13Jim Grr         
14 Joe Denny (WLAGuy)          Lunch
15 Ernie         Lunch
16 Lyle  (Mooska)         
17 Welles      
18 Dan Flanery (sunspot)         
19 RickB         
20 Sparky   (tentative)                      
21 RouxB   (tentative)                      
« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 04:02:02 am by Ellemeno »
Is there anything interesting up there in heaven?

Offline BayCityJohn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
    • BBM Foundation
« Reply #59 on: December 10, 2009, 11:46:08 pm »
Autry National Center Holds Free “Out West” Panel Sunday, December 13

Please join GLAAD at the Autry National Center’s “Out West” series for the panel discussion “What Ever Happened to Ennis del Mar?” on Sunday December 13, 2009 from 3:00 to 5:00 p.m. at the Autry Center’s Wells Fargo Theater. The panel is a free event and the first in a series of programs examining the LGBT community’s contributions and influence in the American West and the Western genre.

Conceived by author and filmmaker Gregory Hinton, Out West follows the current installation at the Autry Center of the two intertwined shirts worn by Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhaal in Focus Features 2005 groundbreaking film Brokeback Mountain. The iconic shirts represent the struggle between heritage and acceptance in gay cowboy culture. The shirts are worn, with a slight red dust caked on the exposed areas that are not protected by the entwine, highlighting Out West’s focus on the LGBT community’s toil for safety and inclusion in the rural Western communities.

http://glaadblog.org/2009/12/10/autry-national-center-holds-free-out-west-panel-sunday-december-13/