Author Topic: "Whatever Happened to Ennis del Mar?" panel in LA!  (Read 50214 times)

Offline BayCityJohn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
    • BBM Foundation
Re: "Whatever Happened to Ennis del Mar?" panel in LA!
« Reply #80 on: December 14, 2009, 11:50:35 pm »

2. Regardless of what "there" is, what was it about being gay that had caused his separation?

I'm assuming it was the same fear of getting beaten to death with a tire iron, or worse, that many of us had growing up in small towns.

We've been calling it 'destructive rural homophobia', or DRH on the forums for the past 4 years, and it's well documented.

Of course the same fear is possible in big cities too. That would be called 'Destructive Urban Homophobia' , or DUH

Offline milomorris

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • No crybabies
« Reply #81 on: December 15, 2009, 12:39:14 am »

I'm assuming it was the same fear of getting beaten to death with a tire iron, or worse, that many of us had growing up in small towns.

We've been calling it 'destructive rural homophobia', or DRH on the forums for the past 4 years, and it's well documented.

Of course the same fear is possible in big cities too. That would be called 'Destructive Urban Homophobia' , or DUH

OK. So I guess its safe to assume "not being there" means he moved to LA.
  The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Offline BayCityJohn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
    • BBM Foundation
« Reply #82 on: December 15, 2009, 12:52:21 am »
I guess that's a safe assumption

Offline BayCityJohn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
    • BBM Foundation
« Reply #83 on: December 15, 2009, 12:54:56 am »
Radio interview with Gregory Hinton _Dec 14, 2009 from IMRU

IMRU is a weekly one-hour radio show made by a group of volunteers focusing on issues affecting the LGBT community in Southern California. IMRU airs on KPFK 90.7 Los Angeles on Mondays from 7-8 PM. KPFK is a Pacifica Radio Station.

The segment about the Autry event starts at 37:57 into the radio show.

There are also clips from archived interviews with Diana Ossana and Heath Ledger.

http://archive.kpfk.org/parchive/mp3/kpfk_091214_190030imru.MP3

Offline BayCityJohn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
    • BBM Foundation
« Reply #84 on: December 15, 2009, 01:22:06 am »
L.A. Times article is online!

'Out West' at the Autry examines the history of homosexuals and transgender people in the Old West
Museum officials say the series may be the first of its kind.

Say the words "gay cowboy" and chances are the conversation will turn to "Brokeback Mountain," the 2005 film starring Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhaal, and based on the Annie Proulx short story.

The Oscar-winning drama, which is set in the 1960s to '80s, highlighted a long-submerged facet of frontier culture. But as a new series at the Autry National Center shows, the presence of homosexuals and transgender individuals in the American West is much older than the movie might lead you to think. It is, in fact, almost as old as the West itself.

Take for instance the tale of One-Eyed Charlie.

A stagecoach driver known for his hard drinking and itchy trigger finger, Charlie worked for the California Stage Co., where he earned his reputation as one of the best drivers in the wild West. He traveled between Oregon and California and, the story goes, got his nickname when he lost an eye while attempting to shoe a horse.

But Charlie kept a secret that was revealed only after his death in 1879. When his body was being prepared, a coroner discovered that One-Eyed Charlie was actually a woman.

It turns out that Charlie, nee Charlotte Darkey Parkhurst, had passed much of her adult life as a man. The discovery of her true gender became a local sensation. And her story still fascinates U.S. historians, some of whom believe that she was the first woman to have voted in a presidential election, long before the ratification of the 19th Amendment in 1920.

Stories like One-Eyed Charlie's will be part of the Autry series titled "Out West," looking at the roles of gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender people in frontier history.

"It doesn't just start with 'Brokeback Mountain.' In a way, the movie is an exclamation point to that history," said Stephen Aron, an executive director at the Autry.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Organizers are planning to return to "Brokeback Mountain" with a performance of fiction and other literature written by "Brokies" -- an informal group of fans who strongly identify with the film.

more....

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/arts/la-et-out-west15-2009dec15,0,6149105,full.story

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #85 on: December 15, 2009, 02:05:20 am »

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Organizers are planning to return to "Brokeback Mountain" with a performance of fiction and other literature written by "Brokies" -- an informal group of fans who strongly identify with the film.

more....

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/arts/la-et-out-west15-2009dec15,0,6149105,full.story

It continues with:

Eric Hooper (!!!!), who lives in San Jose, is a Brokie who said he has seen the movie 56 times in theaters, flying across the country to catch screenings at various festivals and events.

The movie came as a revelation, he said, after living in a city for most of his adult life. "That's what really struck me about 'Brokeback' -- it presented the possibility of being gay and living in rural America."

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #86 on: December 15, 2009, 02:05:51 am »
The word 'Brokie' is in the L.A. Times!!!!!

Offline BayCityJohn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
    • BBM Foundation
« Reply #87 on: December 15, 2009, 02:10:30 am »
Greg Hinton asked us if it was ok to call us 'Brokies'

We said "you bet" !

I thought he'd also mention DC and Bettermost, but I guess I assumed too much.

Offline BayCityJohn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
    • BBM Foundation
« Reply #88 on: December 15, 2009, 02:11:34 am »
Google the word 'brokies' and see what pops up  :)

Offline BayCityJohn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
    • BBM Foundation
« Reply #89 on: December 15, 2009, 02:14:01 am »
I own the domain name "Brokies.org".  ;D

Someone else has 'Brokies.com'  :(