Author Topic: Marajuana  (Read 10136 times)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Marajuana
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2006, 01:57:45 pm »
"You been to Mexico, Jack Twist?"

"Hell yes, I've been to Mexico. Where the hell do you think that weed came from?"

:laugh:

"Thank god! I thought you went for ... well, never mind."
« Last Edit: August 16, 2006, 05:22:30 pm by latjoreme »

vkm91941

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2006, 04:54:46 pm »
Well for another view point let me share this.  My oldest brother was born in December of 1943 and was 19 years old  in the summer of 1963 just like Ennis and Jack.  He did not go to Vietnam, he was rejected by the draft board even though he was in ROTC because of a severe Knee injury that required multiple surgeries...so he got married and went to community college instead, then on to UCLA 3 years later.  Pot was not a part of his & his wife's  life in those early days but by the time he was established in his career in his 30's it was very much a part of recreation with their adult friends.  Now that they are in their 60's it is once again no longer part of their life or at least so he tells me.  So seeing Jack and Ennis light up seemed perfectly consistent with the times for me.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2006, 05:24:38 pm »
  Pot was not a part of his & his wife's  life in those early days but by the time he was established in his career in his 30's it was very much a part of recreation with their adult friends.  Now that they are in their 60's it is once again no longer part of their life or at least so he tells me.  So seeing Jack and Ennis light up seemed perfectly consistent with the times for me.

What were his friends and community like? For me, what seemed unrealistic was the combination of their age and their conservative small-town millieu. But I would be glad to be wrong. If it's not unusual, I would feel better about the scene.

vkm91941

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2006, 05:34:02 pm »
What were his friends and community like? For me, what seemed unrealistic was the combination of their age and their conservative small-town millieu. But I would be glad to be wrong. If it's not unusual, I would feel better about the scene.

Well we did and do all live in California after all and not rural Wyoming.  They have always lived in a small rural town about 60 miles from the San Diego City Limits.  But they are college educated, white collar professionals in a liberal state so I can see the point that this alone would make a difference.  But Jack was not the Wyoming farm boy anymore.  He had been on the rodeo circuit and it's not a stretch to think that once married he was exposed to Lureen's college friends as well.  That combined with the money and the lifesytle it could afford would have increased Jack's sophistication and life experience ten fold past Ennis's.   I can still totally see Jack introducing Ennis to the joys of pot smoking.  If ever a guy was in need of mellowing out it was Ennis Del Mar  ;) and no one knew that better than Jack.

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2006, 06:25:35 pm »

Well we did and do all live in California after all and not rural Wyoming.  They have always lived in a small rural town about 60 miles from the San Diego City Limits.  But they are college educated, white collar professionals in a liberal state so I can see the point that this alone would make a difference.  But Jack was not the Wyoming farm boy anymore.  He had been on the rodeo circuit and it's not a stretch to think that once married he was exposed to Lureen's college friends as well.  That combined with the money and the lifesytle it could afford would have increased Jack's sophistication and life experience ten fold past Ennis's.   I can still totally see Jack introducing Ennis to the joys of pot smoking.  If ever a guy was in need of mellowing out it was Ennis Del Mar  ;) and no one knew that better than Jack.

And le's not forget the aformentioned Mexico trip(s) - accapulco gold and all! - Mexico was a major supplier of "good stuff" when I was growing up - in the late 60's & 70's
2015 - Toronto: Pan Am Games
2015 - Edmonton, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Winnipeg: Woman's World Cup of Soccer

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2006, 06:42:18 pm »
"You been to Mexico, Jack Twist?"

"Hell yes, I've been to Mexico. Where the hell do you think that weed came from?"

ROFLOL...sorry just thought it was funny.... :laugh:

injest

« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2006, 05:56:53 pm »

what the??? PUULLLEEEZZZEE!! Small towns are rife with drugs...always have been. If you know everybody you know where you are safe. If you are friends with the local sheriff then you are not overly concerned that he is gonna raid your house. Conservative has nothing to do with it. the same people that have stills grow weed...you don't have a lot of stills there in the big city you have bars and such.

Do you turn in your relatives? your friends? well there are few things more close knit than a small town. everyone has their drug of choice, be it pot, alcohol, or church. no we don't get the law involved in family matters.

Offline pgcatz

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2006, 06:02:31 pm »
Jack went to Mexico for Sex. I always thought he might have brought pot home with him from Mexico.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2006, 02:45:11 pm »
what the??? PUULLLEEEZZZEE!! Small towns are rife with drugs...always have been.

I have no doubt this has been true for quite a while (though not always, IMO). And I'm sure plenty of small-town young people were pot-smokers in 1983. But my experience is that people who didn't grow up using drugs as teenagers are somewhat unlikely to start using them as they approach 40, particularly in conservate societies, and were even less so in 1983. If I'm wrong, that's great -- then the scene will make more sense to me. Does anyone here happen to know anybody from a small, conservative town who started smoking weed in their late 30s? I know plenty of pot smokers, but the few I know who started at an older age were arty, liberal, urban types.

Offline nakymaton

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • aka Mel
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2006, 02:53:02 pm »
But my experience is that people who didn't grow up using drugs as teenagers are somewhat unlikely to start using them as they approach 40, particularly in conservate societies, and were even less so in 1983.

There was a story on NPR recently about the ages at which people stop experimenting with new things (music, food, and piercings were mentioned), and it supports your observations.

On the other hand, sometimes I wonder if my friends' parents weren't a lot wilder than I used to think.

I bet some of them actually had sex, for instance.

(Not mine, though, of course. ;D )
Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.