Author Topic: Jenny's China Trip - Updated with Pictures  (Read 10353 times)

Offline JennyC

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
At last, Pictures of Jenny's China trip
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2006, 03:15:59 pm »
Part One - Xi'an

Xi’an (used to be called Chang An) has been the capital of 13 dynasties, dated back to 1000 BC.  It’s known for Terra Cotta , and many other ancient architecture wonders. This is the place you want to be, if let’s say you were 1400 years younger, in Tang dynasty.  It was the most popular city in the world at the time, and true international city where you can find Persian merchants, Japanese monks etc. 

Big Wild Goose Pagoda
Well over 1000 years old and has mostly survived great earthquakes.  The pagoda was built to store sutras and figurines of Buddha that were brought to China by the Buddhist translator and traveler Xuanzang. The emperor built him the Pagoda for him to translate the Indian Buddhist texts to Chinese.  The fantasy novel “Journey to the West” (where it features the character of Monkey King) was very loosely based on this historic event. 

The spectacular music fountain next to the Pagoda (some say it’s the world’s largest, who knows).

Chang An around 700 – 800 A.D.  It was the first city in the world to introduce urban planning, with grid pattern, straight roads running north- south and east west. Compared with the Google satellite map of Xi’an today, you can see that the layout of the city has not been changed that much. 

Use Big Wild Goose Pagoda (or Dayan Pagoda) as reference, this is the area where I used to live and go to school.

Dell Tower and Drum Tower
The Bell Tower located at the city centre.  For a long time, this was a hinder to the downtown development as no building taller than the Bell tower was allowed within certain proximity.  I think they have loosened the rules (or the area) in the recent years.  The drum Towner is about 1000 ft from Bell Tower, where you can find the World’s largest drum.  In old days, the bell rings by dawn and drum by dust to mark the passage of time (They still do, but more like a show for tourist today).

« Last Edit: October 25, 2006, 04:39:06 pm by JennyC »

Offline JennyC

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: At last, Pictures of Jenny's China trip
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2006, 03:19:36 pm »
Tang Paradise Theme Park (Xi’an)

The theme park features performance, arts, architecture, and literature of the 300-year-long Tang Dynasty (618-907 AD), China's greatest and most sophisticated age, when Chinese culture reached its height.

Buildings and Statues

Parade in the Park

Water Film. The short movie was shown against a screen of water mist.

Park at night  (The buildings in the theme park were based on the architectural style of the Tang dynasty)

Offline JennyC

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2006, 03:22:36 pm »
Folk Art (Xi’an)

Farmer’s Painting: Done by folk artists.  Very colorful and decorative.  The paintings feature their daily lives and activities as farmers.  A few friends like the ones I have much very and wanted me to get some for them, so I bought around a dozen this time. 

Play Doug artist

Cute clothes and toys for kids and babies

Modern Side
Many people came to Xi’an to get a taste of China’s rich history.  But that’s not the whole picture of today’s Xi’an.  It’s still a pretty modernized city, with many universities, high tech centers, and Prada and Louis Vuitton stores. :D 

Offline opinionista

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Jenny's China Trip - Updated with Pictures
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2006, 03:30:27 pm »
Hey Jenny,

Thanks for the pics! Wow, I wish I could go some day. And your girl is so cute!
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline JennyC

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2006, 03:31:36 pm »
Part Two: Shanghai

Well, need I say more?  The largest, the most modern, and dynamic city in China. 

Nanjing Road at night
It’s one of the most important commercial and tourist streets in Shanghai.  Part of the street became pedestrian only.

Buildings
Shanghai Oriental Art Center

Shanghai Museum

The Shanghai Urban Planning Center

The Grand Theatre

Shanghai Science and Technology Museum (SSTM)

Inside SSTM

Armillary Sphere

Lujiazui Finical Center from distance
Most of the high rises were not there 10 years ago.  The movie MI3 gives you a grant tour of the high rises in the area.

Offline JennyC

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2006, 03:32:15 pm »
Hey Jenny,

Thanks for the pics! Wow, I wish I could go some day. And your girl is so cute!

Thanks Natali!  More pictures are coming... :)

Offline JennyC

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2006, 03:36:25 pm »
Shanghai
LCD is everywhere.  You can find them in metro station, in the train, in bus, in elevator, and in Taxi. 

Free condoms!  This one cracks me up.  It’s one of the free condom distribution booths of a District Family Planning Center, located in the lobby of my sister-in-law’s apt building.  I have never seen this before anywhere else.  I noticed that the supply gradually went down through out the week and it was then replenished.  Someone obviously is taking them. (when no one is around :D)

Bike ride in the Century Park

Offline JennyC

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2006, 03:39:06 pm »
Old and New

Shanghai in Old Days

Housing
Shanghai has been a big construction site for over 15 years.  Many old neighborhood in the city have been demolished and replaced with high rise, fancy (and expensive) apartment buildings.  New money moves in and people who can not afford the new housing have to move to the suburbs where housing is relatively cheap.  They do get compensated pretty handsomely, but I still doubt that they can afford to buy a unit in the new building in the area where they used to live.  Still, I have heard many people who still live in the old, shabby apartment buildings saying they want their building to be demolished.  That way they can afford to improve their housing condition even if that means they have to move to the suburbs.

Concrete Forrest – Pretty much all the buildings in this view are apartment buildings

THE END

Offline Pipedream

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2006, 01:31:38 pm »
Wow! Thanks Jenny for those beautiful pictures! I agree with Natali: you and your girl look adorable!  :-*

I can't wait to visit Shanghai myself. As I said, in April, I'll be visiting an old friend and work colleague of mine who works there.
My (our) tickets have arrived today!! Yeehaw!
:D
« Last Edit: October 26, 2006, 05:20:56 pm by Pipedream »

Offline starboardlight

• nipith.com
« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2006, 05:20:04 pm »
wowie! gorgeous pic, Jenny. and your daughter is so adorable. thank you for sharing them with us.
"To do is to be." Socrates. - "To be is to do." Plato. - "Do be do be do" Sinatra.