Author Topic: Phillip, Katherine, Chri..need help with problem  (Read 2506 times)

Offline 2robots4u

• Sr. Ranch Hand
Phillip, Katherine, Chri..need help with problem
« on: August 16, 2006, 01:26:37 pm »
Hi Friends...I'm having a major problem getting bettermost.net, davecullen.com and youtune.com to load and thought it might be a problem with the site.  Let me provide the following and explain the situation:

On/about 1 Aug I received the following pop-up:  "The driver or network connection that the shortcut 'True Assistant.ink' refers to is unavailable.  Make sure that the disk is properly inserted or the network resource is available, and then try again."

Do you know what this means?  What is "True Assistant.ink" and how do I come to have it on my hard drive? I don't have a disk by that title, and have never installed such a program.  (I'm not a computer expert, so I don't know terms or have a sophisticated knowledge of the computer guts.)

About 7 days ago I e-mailed [email protected] (no answer yet), and send an e-mail with additional info yesterday, but it came back as permanently undeliverable.  That e-mail contained info that I had just discovered davecullen.com and youtune.com were doing the same problem re: loading. 

The problem:  each time I hit the "enter" key it takes 3-6 minutes for a response, which means it has taken me approximately 12 mins to get to this page.  The blue bar near the bottom of the screen that indicates the loading progress stops after about 4 secs.  Part of the screen is visible (the mountains and right column), while the rest is just white.  Just to the right of the progress bar are 3 small squares, the middle one displays a disk with a red circle with a white bar horizontally across it..and stays there as long as I am on site.

I have asked 2 "computer technicians" and neither has a clue.  I'm hoping you might.

Are there any more web sites associated with bettermost.net that I might try to see if they do the same thing?

Many thanks for whatever info you can  provide.  I have been confined to my house for 3 weeks with a major back injury and one of my entertainment sources is bettermost, but with it's slow operation I access it only once a day.

If anyone else reading this can offer information, know that it will be appreciated, and I thank you in advance also.

Doug

Offline serious crayons

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Phillip, Katherine, Chri..need help with problem
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2006, 01:33:53 pm »
Hi Doug,

I've heard of others noticing the site is slow to load, and I've had the problem myself. Not as bad as yours, though. I am not good with computers, either, so I can't analyze it any more specifically, but I will pass your message along to other administrators, if they haven't seen it already.

One thing I can suggest that at least might reduce your problem in the meantime. Do you start at the home page and then click on the forum? And it takes six minutes for each to load, so a total of 12? You could bookmark the forum and go directly there, so at least it would only be six minutes total.

I realize that's not a very satisfying explanation for the long term. Let's see what we can find out.

One thing I've heard said is that people keeping lots of PMs in their inboxes and outboxes bogs down the system (it wouldn't be your PMs bogging down your computer specifically, Doug, but everybody's bogging down the whole site). So we're encouraged to delete as many as possible.

Katherine

Offline nakymaton

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • aka Mel
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2006, 01:36:37 pm »
Hi Doug -

I just googled "True Assistant" and found this page: http://www.file.net/process/trueassistant.exe.html It sounds like it may be some type of spyware masquerading as a real program.

Mel
Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Mayor - BetterMost, Wyoming
  • Town Administration
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
    • BetterMost
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2006, 02:02:54 pm »
First, my apology for not replying to your e-mail.  It was evidently caught as a potential spam message.

Second, site loading issues are often the result of an Internet connectivity problem somewhere between one's home and where BetterMost is hosted.  If it's a server problem, everyone will run into the same problem at the same time.  If a handful of people see it, it's usually an isolated connection problem that is affecting a smaller number of ISPs.

This problem you are reporting is likely something local on your own machine.  If it affects multiple sites you visit, my best guess is some sort of spyware problem, a virus, or a corrupted system registry.  There is no other point of commonality between the sites you mentioned, and nobody else has reported this.
You're a part of our family - BetterMost, Wyoming

Offline 2robots4u

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2006, 03:02:54 am »
I was just about to call it a night, then decided to try this site to see what happens....well, I swear....it's working just fine.  I guess just contacting you solved the problem.

I am going to contact the company who assembled my computer 18 months ago about a system clean-up and system restore, this on the advice of my internet provider.

Thanks to all of you....Doug