Author Topic: Jack.....I SWEAR...  (Read 2991 times)

Offline Chriscd45

• Jr. Ranch Hand
Jack.....I SWEAR...
« on: August 22, 2006, 10:46:35 pm »
 (This is the longest thread on theYahoo! Forum)

Jack.....I SWEAR...   (27 Ratings)    2-Jan-06 11:40 am
vanillaskyyy

At the very end of the movie when Ennis notices the shirts hanging in Jack's closet and postcard of brokeback mountain right next to the shirts and Ennis with tears in his eyes says "jack...i swear...i took it that he meant if given a 2nd chance to do it all over again, he would have been more receptive to what jack wanted and that was to have a loving relationship together and be with one another on a small ranch to the very end. Anyone see it a little differtly or similar?

Re: Jack.....I SWEAR...   (3 Ratings)    29-Jan-06 12:23 am
liawc
  Female

Vanillaskyyy, you might be right and I like that thought too. This is my thought: Ennis put Jack's shirt inside of his, he was telling Jack he loves him back in the same way Jack loved him. (He wondered a bit Jack might doubt his love after he knew Jack planned to bring another guy up there to build a house, sigh) When he looked at the shirts and the picture next to it, he teared and said: "Jack, I swear .." meaning he swears he will take Jack with him back to Brokeback Mountain to be buried together after he dies. He will prearrange to be cremated wearing these shirts and their ashes will be scattered in Brokeback Mountain. The blood of the blue shirt is Jack's body and soul, the shirts together is thier love. They will be happy everafter! This is a very beautiful thought and I hope I am right about this. (Chinese saying something like: if couldn't be together like two love birds in the sky when alive, wish we transform to two twisted branches from a same root after we die.)

Many times I said this in my mind. DAMN YOU, Ennis! Why couldn't you just take a god damn chance to build a life together with Jack???? A chance in a life time! There WERE people did survive this forbidden love! Didn't you know there was a place called California? A great city called San Francisco where people are more understanding, more humaine, more tolerant, more caring, more loving?

I am not a gay and I definitely love opposite sex but I understand their sufferance deeply. This movie just broke my heart in pieces and has been haunting me since then. I could let go all these feelings - sweet, sorrow, sadness, unfulfilled, disappointed, fear of loss ...

I love both characters very much, especially Jack who follows his heart better, who was brave to express, dare to pursue happiness without measuring outcome. I fell in love with their emotions. I feel like embracing these two suffering souls comforting them: babys, please don't cry! Let us figure out together how you two can be together! If I had the power, I will use all my power to protect you.

Why human beings want to hurt each other? Let's make this world a better place to live!!

"Jack and Ennis ...I SWEAR ..."

Re: Jack.....I SWEAR...   (3 Ratings)    2-Jan-06 11:44 am
queermountainm...
  58/Male
Renton, WA    

Or it might have meant "I swear I really loved you."

There are many plausible completions (or none at all). I don't see any one as being rationally "correct".

Re: Jack.....I SWEAR...   (1 Rating)    29-Jan-06 12:34 am
vanillaskyyy
liawc...beautifully said! I haven't changed my mind..."I SWEAR" = "REGRETS"!

h2okolor
  gwen., Female
that's how i see it too...

Re: Jack.....I SWEAR...   (Not rated)     20-Jan-06 09:36 pm
jefnmike
  Male

There was a point when Ennis learned that Jack had brought another man up to his parents' home. I believe that was when it hit him hard that he had not only lost him physically through death but that he had perhaps even lost his love, the only love he ever knew. I believe he was repeating what he had told Jack before, that if he ever knew what Jack had done in Mexico he would kill him. And this time, he was saying if he ever knew what he had done with that other man, he would kill him in his heart. And he didn't want to do that. I don't believe he would ever visit the parents again. He would only touch their two shirts and remember how much love they had for each other.

Re: Jack.....I SWEAR...   (11 Ratings)    2-Jan-06 12:16 pm
oprahsfavorite...

That scene was one of the most human and touching things I have ever seen. When he found the shirts together there was dead silence in the theater, then you could hear sniffing and sobbing from those who could not hold it in any longer. It was really something to see. When my friend and I got up to leave, the silence was still there and people all had the same look on their faces, the look of pain and deep loss.

When Ennis said "Jack, I swear", I took it to be the only words that Ennis del mar could find in his mind to say that he loved Jack and that he regrets his massive mistake. I also felt that with all the emotional limites that Ennis had, he was a loving dad.

Did you notice that when the daughter asked if he could come to the wedding he said that he would rather lose his job than miss the wedding ? I think that he realized that he should have lost his job back in august to be with Jack.

I feel sorry for the people who will never be capable of seeing this movie. Its their massive loss.

I ALSO COULD NOT HELP BUT NOTICE THAT THE TWO SHIRTS PUT TOGTHER IN THE "CLOSET" WAS USED TO REMIND PEOPLE THAT YOU SHOULD NOT HAVE TO LIVE IN THE "CLOSET".

It's very strange, but after the movie I wanted more of Ennis, maybe because he was starting to wake up.

I will also look a little differently on straight people who cheat. Yes some do it for sex only, but maybe some of them have a Jack or an Ennis in their past too. I will now think before I judge.

I felt sorry for Ennis's wife, she just wanted to be loved. Lets not pretend that a straight man would not have cheated on her just because he is straight. She deserved better. In my mind (and I am gay) there is no excuse for cheating. Gay or straight, dont hurt people. I do feel bad for Ennis too, but for different reasons.

Imagine how you would have felt to be Jack ? I would have been attracted to Ennis too ;)

One more thought : the two of them jumping off the side of the rock into the lake...... that was amazing

Re: Jack.....I SWEAR...   (1 Rating)    30-Jan-06 04:25 am
bbmej32

I swear this movie has hit me like a ton of bricks. I watched the trailer for the first time on Sunday, January 22, went out and bought the haunting yet refreshing soundtrack and then went and saw it on Wednesday the 25th.

"Jack I Swear" appears to be his way of finally letting it all out of the closet...the shirts, their love, his feelings.

Once and for all, Ennis realizes the depth with which he felt for his should have been partner.

I'm a closet bisexual male and this movie has me ready to jump out and express myself. I'm currently involved with a 19 year old male who is amazing and he has so many shades of Ennis to him. We literally experienced our "Brokeback" over two weekends in late December and early January and now are back to the reality of life.

I've played the masculine approach all my life but now I find myself buying the CD, playing the end song "Wings" endlessly and watching the trailer over and over.

In my take...Jack has come out to his parents and if he did not come out they knew all along as most of our parents do. They, too, realize that their son was in love with an amazing person and he finally realized it only too late.

For Ennis, I feel his eldest daughter was fully aware of his sexuality and that was all that mattered. She loved him regardless. Look at his question about "Do you love each other?" That was his way of saying, "I loved Jack and should have been with him."

I, too, plan to go do a second viewing. I saw this four days ago and have been haunted by it since.

Why don't we follow our hearts and act on what we need? Why don't we follow what we know is right regardless of what others tell us?

I think we can all see so much of ourselves in each character whether hetero or homosexual. It's about that one time in life when you should have acted with the moment and not let the "one that got away" be the one that indeed did.

Only in this case, Jack and Ennis have numerous chances to relive it.

The one thing I would say to anyone reading this post is this. Since age 13, I have played the game of fooling myself and tryign to give my heart to girls while it was indeed elsewhere.

Finally, a movie came along and put it all into perspective. It doesn't matter if you're gay, straight or what. Go out there, love the one you want, and let them know how you feel about them. Don't back off and let's all keep giving our takes on "Jack I Swear."

(Troll Response not posted)

Re: Jack.....I SWEAR...   (4 Ratings)    2-Jan-06 02:00 pm
xt_a1
  38/Male
NY, NY

oprahsfavorite

Interestingly, in the book, the shirts are not in a closet, but on the wall of Ennis' trailer.

In the movie, when Ennis finds the shirts, Jack's is on the outside and Ennis' is inside. But when we see them in Ennis' trailer, Ennis' is now on the ourside with Jack's inside. Does this mean that when they were both alive that Jack had the stronger love, enveloping Ennis, and now that Jack is gone, Ennis' love is the stronger, keeping Jack's memory alive?

I did like your comment about Ennis' wife being cheated on if Ennis was straight. Had the movie been about Ennis cheating on his wife with another woman there certainly would have been fewer hate laced posts from the "christians" on the board.

(Response to Troll not posted)

Re: Jack.....I SWEAR...   (Not rated)     19-Mar-06 09:02 pm
amymidwest

Go for it! I'm glad you were inspired, and I was too in a different way. Good luck :)

Re: Jack.....I SWEAR...   (4 Ratings)    2-Jan-06 02:18 pm
oprahsfavorite...

Wow, thank you so much ! I did not catch that Ennis's shirt was on the outside in his trailer closet door instead of on the inside as it was found in Jack's closet. I believe that your right !! I looks to me like Ennis telling Jack that HE will keep the memory of the two of them warm... WILL I EVER STOP CRYING ????? LOL

(Response to Troll not posted)

Re: Jack.....I SWEAR...   (3 Ratings)    2-Jan-06 05:05 pm
xt_a1
  38/Male
NY, NY     

LOL. When I went to see it the first time, I got choked up, but I did not cry at all. By my third showing, however, I brought tissues.

(Response about Troll not posted)

Re: Jack.....I SWEAR...   (16 Ratings)    4-Jan-06 01:51 pm
scot5636@sbcgl...

When is this damned movie going to let go of me? I’m tired of feeling like a quivering bowl of raw emotions. I’m a 42 year old lawyer, whose personality runs toward the cynical, that borders on caustic. I see one movie, and I turn into a pile of mush. As I do the most ordinary things, I can’t stop those scenes from rattling around in my head. And it doesn’t matter which ones – the sweet, happy scenes; or the achingly sad and lonely – my breath catches in my throat; my eyes start to sting; and I practically have to bite my tongue in two to keep from making an ass of myself.

Re: Jack.....I SWEAR...   (2 Ratings)    4-Jan-06 02:11 pm
bbmmanyoo

You said it perfectly. I feel the exact same way and I am 49.
I have the exact same personality as you but now feel like the walking dead. Movies and stories bring out something in us, even if the situation is not the same. Emotions, feelings, sense of self, love, family, heartbreak, these are all universal and not just exclusive to any one group whether it is religion, race, sex, but these are life's blood to everyone.
And, what’s with this need I have to pour out this embarrassing emotionalism in a public forum like this? I know it’s fairly anonymous, but I didn’t even know that massage boards for individual movies existed. I not only searched for this one but, here I sit, compelled to type out my feelings like some Tiger Beat subscriber.

I’m useless. I just can’t stop thinking about it. It’s a story . . . a movie . . . fiction. How can the product of someone else’s imagination break me down so completely?

Re: Jack.....I SWEAR...   (Not rated)     30-Jan-06 02:15 am
torofivecats

Hi, you mentioned your age and that caught my attention...because I am 50 and no movie has hit me as emotionally as this one has! I saw it twice in one day, and I know I'm going to see it again! It represented so many people in my life and aspects of my life. I saw myself in Ennis and Jack.....geez. I am glad I am not the only person crying for days about this movie. Thanks for letting me share.....I am in California by the way...

Re: Jack.....I SWEAR...   (4 Ratings)    4-Jan-06 08:36 pm
vanillaskyyy
 Hey Scot,

I feel very similar...i think about certain parts of the movie everyday, i play the soundtrack and it brings me too tears. I have seen the movie 3 times and i will probably go again this weekend. This movie has touched me more than any other! Being a gay man and knowing and seeing all the prejudices out there towards us... and we all know there are so many guys like Ennis and Jack and it just really messes with your emotions. It's truly a unfair world we live in. Scott, don't feel bad about what your feeling...just go with it. If you need to see the film 10 times before it goes to DVD...then do it! This kind of movie is a once in a life time!

Re: Jack.....I SWEAR...   (1 Rating)    21-Jan-06 08:27 pm
larrydavid420

I am a heterosexual woman and i cant belwive the effect the movie has had on me...i play the sound track and cry,cry cry as well..i have seen BBM 5 times and plan on going as much a s i can until it comes out on dvd...I cry at the commercial...i think because my choices in love have been so bad...i see a love story here that is so beautiful and painful at the same time...i loved this movie and i think if you are bi-gay hetero or whatever...you are human and this film has a way of getting into your pours,it has become part of me and im glad other people understand the way i feel...i wish peace and love in your hearts all of you

Re: Jack.....I SWEAR...   (Not rated)     7-Feb-06 02:01 am
ramdare
  Male

I too can't get this film out of my head. I feel like i have become obsessed. I bought the book and refer to it constantly and will buy the CD soon. Seen the movie twice and it just leaves me in a daze, haunted and sad. Seeing the movie a second time helped because i could focus on Jack and Ennis' time on Brokeback and see their joy. I have so many questions, but reading all the messages has helped me to know there are others out there who are just as impacted by this story as myself. Thanks

Re: Jack.....I SWEAR...   (3 Ratings)    4-Jan-06 08:52 pm
terrybenavidez...

I agree with you wholeheartedly. It is driving me crazy! It makes me want to find my Ennis and move to Wyoming and I am not kidding. Someone needs to help us all.

Re: Jack.....I SWEAR...   (Not rated)     13-Mar-06 08:04 pm
jymbonic

LOL. Yes, I've seen it seven times, and I need help. No, emotionally healthy people respond emotionally to such a powerful film and story. I love the posting from the guy who said he saw it twice in one day.

Re: Jack.....I SWEAR...   (Not rated)     13-Mar-06 08:10 pm
ohiomyown
  Judy, 29/Female
Austin, TX

jym - that's not unusual, I don't think .... I usually go to an early showing so I can stay for a second view.

Once is never enough -

Never enough Time, Never enough, on Brokeback Mountain.

Re: Jack.....I SWEAR...   (Not rated)     13-Mar-06 08:13 pm
wulfar360
Richard, 30/Male
WV     

never nuff never nuff !

i wish i could quit you !

Re: Jack.....I SWEAR...  (Not rated)  13-Mar-06 08:23 pm
ohiomyown
  Judy, 29/Female
Austin, TX     

wulf, No, you do not.

Re: Jack.....I SWEAR...  (6 Ratings) 4-Jan-06 09:29 pm
kivagirl11

I am so glad someone feels the same as I do! I don't know what to do with this overwhelming flood of emotions that are happening to me. The movie didn't hit me until the very end.. But now all of the scenes are replaying in my head and I find myself crying at odd moments of the day. What a movie! The scene that is effecting me the most right now is when they leave BBM the first time and after Jack drives away, Ennis has a breakdown by the wall. Here is this man who shows hardly any emotion and then- boo- there it is ! You can feel the yearning, the love.

Re: Jack.....I SWEAR...  (1 Rating) 4-Jan-06 09:51 pm
vanillaskyyy

I have many favirot scenes...but i think the one that affects me most is when (Ennis & Jack) have i believe is their last get together on BBM and end up having severe words with one another that brings Ennis & Jack too tears and they hold one another. That scene tears me up!

Re: Jack.....I SWEAR...  (Not rated)  15-Jan-06 07:59 pm
adburell346
  45/

To me this scene is so telling. Jack is ready to go and yells to Enis. Enis sitting out on the knoll alone. Deep in thought. Itis starting to hit him. His emotions are boiling inside and not sure what to do. Jack does not realize what is going on.

Re: Jack.....I SWEAR...  (Not rated)  21-Jan-06 11:07 pm
onefreetoroam

Vanillaskyyy, don't know if you've read the short story but you should - it gives a better understanding of the scene where Ennis comes up behind Jack and holds him - you learn I believe that that is the one thing that keeps Jack so hopeful.

Re: Jack.....I SWEAR...  (Not rated)  13-Mar-06 01:21 pm
dreznicak

I am a 50 year old male married and I cry every night. I read the book and I cry, I have seen the move 5 times and I cry. I cannot get the movie out of my head. I wish I could It is a very emotional movie. How much love they had for each other and they had to hide it. I wish I understood what ennis meant at the end of the movie, "Jack I swear." I swear my love for you, or I swear that I will never be with another man. How is ennis going to get on with his life? I need help to get over this

Re: Jack.....I SWEAR...   (Not rated)     13-Mar-06 01:30 pm
tulsaoufan
  Larry, 43/Male
Tulsa, OK     

How is Ennis going to get on with his life? I think we get a glimps of the way his life is going to be at the end of the movie. He's written off women (note last scene with Cassie) and he's going to live paycheck to paycheck in a run down trailer, barely existing. Of course money situation should be getting easier once he doesn't have to pay child support any more.

Everyone has a different opinion of what "Jack, I swear..." means. To me it means "I swear I had no idea of the way you felt."

Re: Jack.....I SWEAR...  (1 Rating) 13-Mar-06 01:48 pm
ohiomyown
  Judy, 29/Female
Austin, TX     

dr, one of the possible explanations from one of our posters here on this board - when Ennis says "Jack, ... I swear." He is thinking I swear I'll never be foolish enough to let Love pass me by again.

And how does he go on? Into an uncertain future? Like we all do, day by day.

I must confess that it is very sad for me to see Heath and Jake, go off in opposite directions, making other movies, making other friends, leading separate lives - apart. I know, intellectually, that Heath is not Ennis and Jake is not Jack, but my emotions have not caught up with my brain.

I'm an optimist, so I see Ennis learning to enjoy life on his own without those longed for visits with Jack. However, as we've discussed on this board for the past few months, the Author and Screen-writers left so many things open to interpretation . . . that each person has come up with their own conclusions.

How has your emotional reaction to Brokeback Mountain (exactly like mine, I might add, but I'm single) affected your relationship with your wife? Does she wonder or ask you what is going on with you?

Re: Jack.....I SWEAR...  (1 Rating) 13-Mar-06 01:51 pm
tulsaoufan
  Larry, 43/Male
Tulsa, OK

ohio, at least Heath and Jake are good friends and Jake is the godfather to Heath and Michelle's baby. I hope their friendship continues. It does at least makes one feel that Jack and Ennis keeps going on. Sounds kinda ridiculous to impute the BBM story onto Jake/Heath's lives but, there it is...

Re: Jack.....I SWEAR...  (1 Rating) 13-Mar-06 01:53 pm
joshcaisson

You're right. It is ridiculous.

Re: Jack.....I SWEAR...  (1 Rating) 13-Mar-06 02:17 pm
ohiomyown
  Judy, 29/Female
Austin, TX

tulsa, I have to agree with your take - and thanks. I had forgotten about Jake being Matilda's godfather.

I hope Matilda gets to know and play with Atticus and Boo.

Due to the way Jake was raised, in a family with many, many show business ties, he has grown into a poised, open man while still very, very young. From what he says in interviews, and from the pics we see (from the papparazzi, I'm sure) it appears that he knows how to maintain his old friendships while continuing his career.

He apprears to have carved out a private life in spite of being very HOT with all the media.

Re: Jack.....I SWEAR...  (1 Rating) 13-Mar-06 02:31 pm
bbmmanyoo

I am with you all. I know my maturity should say it is just a movie, even if I can relate to the characters, but it sent me so over the edge that I can't. I feel the same as you Ohio about Heath and Jake. I want them to be together in real life. I want Michelle to leave Heath alone so he can be with Jake. How unreal is all that? This movie surely got us all good.

Re: Jack.....I SWEAR...  (1 Rating) 13-Mar-06 02:37 pm
ohiomyown
  Judy, 29/Female
Austin, TX    

Yes, "this is just a goddamn bitch of an unsatisfactory situation." - or not.

This "could be a sweet life."

Here we are, bereft without our boys and our movie is fading away into the sunset (at least in theaters) ..

But for the moment, I just appreciate having you guys to commiserate with over our common Loss.

Re: Jack.....I SWEAR...   (Not rated)     19-Apr-06 10:16 pm
bbmiswear

<A lot of dumb movies had sequels, and prequels once it crosses over the $100M mark...why not BBM..> This is a good point...and I'm the one who said I can't imagine a sequel. I think I'm just being a sappy romantic because even a prequel wouldn't do it for me. I just don't like the idea of a BBM movie WITHOUT Jack and Ennis together. And a sequel and prequel would be just that. Now, if someone could write something in the middle - that tells us everything we missed (they're drive to the drop off point the first day heading to the mountain, before/during/after the motel scene, all the missing togetherness of their many trips over 20 years) that would make me happy. Hey, they did it for Star Wars didn't they? I can dream.

Re: Jack.....I SWEAR...  (Not rated)  19-Apr-06 10:19 pm
ohiomyown
  Judy, 29/Female
Austin, TX     

bbmis, sent it to you today, did you enjoy?
Story of their mountain fishing trip right before Ennis' divorce becomes final.

Re: Jack.....I SWEAR...  (Not rated)  19-Apr-06 10:40 pm
bbmiswear

Thank you, Ohio! I got that today but couldn't read it - plan to tonight. Fan Fiction does help with that constant craving for Jack and Ennis being together but nothing like a real story by Annie or screen play by Diana and Larry would. It could be like this, just like this, always.

Re: Jack.....I SWEAR...  (Not rated)  25-Mar-06 05:39 pm
writ554
  Jerome, Male

Ennis himself doesn't really figure it out, right then, despite the fact that "within a mile Ennis felt like someone was pulling his guts out hand over hand a yard at a time. He stoped by the side of the road and, in the whirling snow, tried to puke but nothing came up. He felt about as bad as he ever had and it took a long time for the feeling to wear off."

Later in the story, when Jack first drivges up and after they have sex in the motel: "That summer," said Ennis. "When we split up after we got paid out I had gut cramps so bad I pulled over and tried to puke, though I ate something bad at that place in Dubois. Took me about a year to figure out it was that i shouldn't a let you out a my sights. Too late then by a long, long while."

The parent of this message cannot be displayed
Re: Jack.....I SWEAR...  (4 Ratings) 4-Jan-06 10:25 pm
xt_a1
  38/Male
NY, NY

Scot, I am in the same boat. I have been reading the story nightly since I first saw the film on 12/10/05, and I have seen the film twice since then. Every time I go to the movies, I see BBM, because it has affected me that deeply.

It keeps drawing me back, and it gets better with each showing. I have already ordered the soundtrack, and have my amazon account set up to e-mail me when the DVD comes out.

Throughout the day, or when trying to sleep at night, I keep thinking of what Jack offered and what Ennis rejected. It is so hard to find love in the first place, but to find it and then reject it really tugs at the heart strings.

How many of us would like to have what Jack offered Ennis?

Re: Jack.....I SWEAR...  (1 Rating) 5-Jan-06 11:17 am
bbmmanyoo

A lot of reviews say that the first part of this movie is slow, but for me, both times, it went by too fast. This is the whole build up to them bonding with each that eventually leads up to the first tent scene. The mountain is a metaphor for their happiness and them being together without any judgement. This was the place Ennis could show Jack what he felt. The fact that this can't be forever is what sucks us all in and tugs at the heart strings.

Re: Jack.....I SWEAR...  (1 Rating) 5-Jan-06 06:40 pm
kivagirl11

I completely agree. I just saw the movie today for the second time. I loved the beginning and was upset both times when they had to come down from the mountain the first time. I love this scene- there first trip to BBM, Ennis was naked and washing his clothes. Jack was smoking a cigarette and he didn't look his way just inhaled very deeply. I love this part because if you didn't know what the movie was about going into it you could start to see what was developing...

Re: Jack.....I SWEAR...  (1 Rating) 5-Jan-06 06:48 pm
tophi2001
  Don, 61/Male
San Francisco

You said, "How can the product of someone else’s imagination break me down so completely?" I think that's why it moves up to become 'art' instead of just another movie. And, like any other piece of art, it touches each of us a bit differently. The intensity of your response to this film is an indication of how alive you are. This is a powerful piece of work. Thanks for sharing your response.

Re: Jack.....I SWEAR...  (1 Rating) 10-Jan-06 08:40 am
bfayeok
  Female

I agree. It nice to see that so many people have been deeply moved and emotionally affected by this beautiful work of art. Also, the posts on this message board are very sweet and it makes me happy to see that 98% of the people posting really do get it.
Now don't get me started on that other 2% though. It's amazing how some people just see things in a totally different way. And that's okay.
Although it's a little disturbing...
But whatever, it takes all kinds, right.

Re: Jack.....I SWEAR...  (2 Ratings) 12-Jan-06 10:55 pm
zetacplus
  Zeta, 36/Male
E-BAY, CA     

The movie has had a profound impact on me too. I can't stop thinking about it. The part where Ennis buckled over and went into the alley and started hitting the wall with his bare knuckles just tears me up. It's that gut-wrenching loss that I think everyone has had to suffer through at some point in their life. I've been there and it's the worst feeling I ever want to experience. You can't do anything about it no matter how strong you are. It just consumes you, and only time can heal what you're feeling. Some people say it's better to have loved and lost than to have never loved at all. I guess that's true but it's so painful. "I swear" to me meant that he would always love him and if he had it to do over again then he swears he would choose to be with him on their ranch together.

Re: Jack.....I SWEAR...   (Not rated)     12-Jan-06 11:23 pm
vanillaskyyy

Zeta...i feel the same as you do.

Re: Jack.....I SWEAR...  (5 Ratings) 5-Jan-06 08:32 pm
sdpgubser
  Sean, 27/Male

I'm glad I'm not the only one! I work in a Drug-Rehab with Male only Clientelle and staff...crying is not an option. Anyway I'm responding to your last statement really, the reality is yes, this movie is based on a short story that was written as Fiction. But its not fiction for most of us, there is so much reality in this movie you can't help yourself from truly feeling it. I did the same thing you did I searched out an outlet for these emotions, Thank God someone invented these Message Boards or I would be a complete wreck! I hadn't thought about my "Brokeback" in years... I went through a freckin' divorce, child custody fight (I got the kids strangly enough), losing my house, my job, right after my "Brokeback" affair was revealed (my doing by the way) I put it away and locked the door leaving it in the past forever...or so I thought...this movie unlocked the door and slowly I'm having to re-live all of it...and as strange as it sounds...and how really useless I feel I wouldn't change it...I could go to therapy for years and never get that damn door unlocked or figure out why I was so miserable, and with a gentle, graceful, nudge, this movie has returned me to a former self I thought was gone forever...I can't even express fully how I feel...Thank God for all involved in this film I just want to hug each and everyone of them...

Re: Jack.....I SWEAR...  (Not rated)  6-Jan-06 03:49 pm
kivagirl11

I just wanted to say that I am so touched by your message. Just like the movie, it touched me to no end.

Re: Jack.....I SWEAR...  (3 Ratings) 7-Jan-06 03:44 pm
reelmovielover

Hey Scot5636. Regardless if you are gay or not, anyone who enjoys a good movie and can allow themselves to be pulled into a story, especially when it is so very realistically portrayed as this was, it can stick with you. I have to think that if we are gay, which I am, we think about our own lives, the discrimination we live against, and try to make a difference, perhaps the inability for some to live a true life (I didn't actually come out until 50). And if we are straight, we look at our lives, (some have mentioned on the review site that they've not had that kind of intense love in their life and want it) and wanting to make sure we don't miss the opportunities we are given for love and compassion in our lives.
And as just human beings that crave mutual love, intimacy & companionship, this grippingly realistic potrayal is gut-wrenchingly moving.
I am gay and can relate to this balking against the discrimination. Needless to say the bludgeoning of Jack brought immediately to mind the brutal and senseless Matthew Shepard murder.
I just saw it a second time with some friends, including our pastor and her partner. I cried more this time, than I did the first time I saw it. It is raw emotions, it is realistic, its experience can make us better people I think, if we allow ourselves to be caring and remove all of the barriers to accepting and caring for our fellow humans as part of our own human family and accepting them as they are - and authentically being ourselves too.

Re: Jack.....I SWEAR...  (1 Rating) 9-Jan-06 11:02 pm
elliscapetownm...

What a wonderful confession...and I couldn't agree with you more...I'm actually going to see the movie again for the 5th time this week (with 12 people from work). Why does it speak to you? Because it is true art that sings to your soul! Have you read the short story? It is heart breaking and cathartic.

Re: Jack.....I SWEAR...  (1 Rating) 10-Jan-06 12:18 am
mindflux2004
  Edward, 49/Male
Clemson, SC

Hey Scot~
This movie won't let go of me either. I had to drive a little over two hours just to see it. None of the theaters in my area are showing the movie. It seemed like I'd never get there (Atlanta). The trip back was brief and a blur because I couldn't seem to stem the flow of tears and emotions. It may have been the product of someone's imagination, but for me, and I'm sure many other men, many of the elements and situations were all too close to home. I can identify quite closely with Ennis' plight. It was a beautiful movie, but painful for me. And yet, I feel I must see it again. Am I a glutton for punishment or what?

Re: Jack.....I SWEAR...  (1 Rating) 10-Jan-06 09:41 am
queermountainm...
  58/Male
Renton, WA     

You're not a glutton for punishment. You simply want an intense experience that relates to your life and your values.

Re: Jack.....I SWEAR...  (1 Rating) 10-Jan-06 08:11 am
bfayeok
  Female

I know exactly what you mean. Since I saw the movie a week ago I haven't been able to stop thinking about the characters and their story. Maybe I should go see it again,
maybe that might releave this achey longing to be back on Brokeback Mountain again. Well it's probably more like I want Ennis and Jack back on the Mt. I know that sounds kind of weird but this movie just takes hold of your heart and won't let go. It's surprizing how strong the feelings are.
This is my first time at a message board as well, but it's like I just have a need to talk about this story with other people who want to talk about it too.
Hey did you hear Brokeback Mountain won Best Picture and Best Director last night at the
Film Critics Choice Awards.
And now it's off to the Oscars to pick up the gold at the Academy Awards.

Re: Jack.....I SWEAR...  (1 Rating) 5-Feb-06 09:15 pm
greengirlmax

I saw Brokeback for the first time last Saturday and I can't get it out of my head. I went to see it again today. This story is unlike any other love story I've seen. Although it has been referred to as a gay cowboy movie, I never once felt as if I were watching a gay love story. Brokeback captures this raw human emotion that is so universal and its put on screen in such a way that it made my heart ache right along w/ the characters. I thought that the whole film was absolutely beautiful and there is nothing I would want to change but those last few scenes where Ennis comes to know that Jack is really gone are so heart wrenching. I fought tears beginning to end but just let go in those last few scenes. I think its hard not to feel how deeply Ennis hurts. It got me so bad because I think what he really feels is deep regret and regret is a terrible thing to live with when you know you can't change it.

I also think this story has the power to change hearts and minds. I am not gay; I'm a hetero woman but I found that none of that matters. This story truly shows that love is genderless and ageless. Love isn't about gender although we have our preferences but it is about deep shared intimacy with another person, something we all crave.

When I went to see the film again, I brought a male friend of mine who was very reluctant to see it. Sure enough he came, and at first I noticed a few nervous giggles and fidgets but at the end he just sat and asked me to wait til everyone left...in brought him to tears as well.

I agree that BBM is going to sweep the Oscars. I honestly haven;t seen a film that moved me so deeply and in such a very human and emotional way.

Re: Jack.....I SWEAR...  (Not rated)  10-Jan-06 12:57 pm
bob02141
  Rob, 33/

Try not and freak out. It's happening to many people from what I've read. I think it's probably a good and healthy thing. Whatever you do, don't buy the soundtrack. Once you play it, you get taken right back to Brokeback Mountain. Then you'll never get out.

Re: Jack.....I SWEAR...  (Not rated)  10-Jan-06 02:43 pm
sdpgubser
  Sean, 27/Male

I could have used that advice a couple days ago my friend :)

Re: Jack.....I SWEAR...  (Not rated)  10-Jan-06 07:17 pm
vanillaskyyy

Bob...your absolutely right, once i play the soundtrack..i go right back to brokeback. I have no regrets about buying the cd. If i need a good cry...i just start the music...

Re: Jack.....I SWEAR...  (Not rated)  12-Jan-06 12:02 pm
rowantwosister...

I didn’t even know that massage boards for individual movies existed. I not only searched for this one but, here I sit, compelled to type out my feelings like some Tiger Beat subscriber.

i can so relate to your entire post, but this makes me freakin laugh out loud.

and i should be doing five other things right now, and instead i am writing this and thinking about going to see it for the third time tomorrow,

Re: Jack.....I SWEAR...  (1 Rating) 13-Jan-06 12:03 am
loveanyway
  Love Anyway, Female
 you saw the movie and can't let go.. and me.. i didn't even see the movie yet (won't show till 20th here in taipei..) yet the trailer and the story stroke me hard already.. and it stays there, getting stronger. (that's why i googled for reviews and found yours). i haven't been moved by any human form of art for a long time.. decades actually, and since i haven't actually seen the movie yet so technically you can't say that it's the art that moved me either.. and yet it is indeed the movie that brings it alive. so, why? and what is it that it aroused in me?

the loss of love. the need of love. the hole in our heart and soul that echos to the sound of a daring and truthful heart?

i can't help wondering..

(but i do like the feelings, a lot. cuz it digs out what i've long forgotten.. and now get a chance to understand)

End of Page 1/7
« Last Edit: August 31, 2006, 01:57:05 pm by Chriscd45 »
"I still feel like a child as I look at the moon, maybe I grew up a little too soon"

"If you can't fix it, you gotta stand it"

Offline Artiste

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Jack.....I SWEAR...
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2008, 06:58:33 pm »
Jack... I swear, that I think of you every day !