Author Topic: Paramount dumps Tom Cruise: Finally!  (Read 12148 times)

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
Re: Paramount dumps Tom Cruise: Finally!
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2006, 08:17:39 am »
Well that was an intersting read Shonna, and I see what you are saying about Tom.....

Maybe I was naeve enough to think that the couch jump was fair dinkum...im not too much aware of these "spins" that actors do for publicity.....

And its funny you mentioned the "gay" thing about Tom, only the other day I was talking to a lady about Tom Cruise, and she said something very similar to you about that.....

Well all i can add, is thank goodness Ang never picked him to play the part of Ennis or Jack........OMG the thought of that makes me want to throw up.....
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2006, 09:13:43 am »
I, for one am convinced that he is gay. I think he is having an ongoing affair (my bet: 3 years now) with the son of the Australian guy who died last spring...when he went to the funeral and Katie was 8+ months pregnant and looked about to pop.

My 2 cents, not that anyone cares.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Giancarlo

« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2006, 05:23:43 pm »
Giancarlo, it might interest you to know that the Church of Scientology is only one of MANY religious institutions that offer "sexual rehabilitation" programs for its members who find themselves attracted to the same sex, so that they may learn to live "straight and normally".  Oh I just LOVE that among the values churches inculcate in their members, tolerance and acceptance always get missed.  ???  >:(

And you don't think I know that?

Offline Katie77

« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2006, 06:08:40 pm »
I, for one am convinced that he is gay. I think he is having an ongoing affair (my bet: 3 years now) with the son of the Australian guy who died last spring...when he went to the funeral and Katie was 8+ months pregnant and looked about to pop.

My 2 cents, not that anyone cares.

L

Wow, Leslie....that sure rocked my socks a bit......the guy you are talking about is James Packer, now one of Australias richest men, since his father, Kerry Packer died last year.

He is in the news a lot here in Australia, has been since he was a young boy, but there has NEVER been any signs, rumours or indications that HE is gay...he has been married, but now divorced, and for the last few years been dating a popular model.

The Packer family, although rotten rich, have been quite a popular family in Australia, making their money from owning television stations and newspapers...Kerry Packer (the one who died) was a very popular man, very down to earth, and very generous to people less fortunate to him....Many years ago, he had a heart attack at a polo game and was saved only be the fact that the ambulance that answered the emergency call, had a heart firbralator (i think thats what its called)......Kerry Packer survived, and donated enough money so that EVERY ambulance in Australia was then fitted with the fibralators.He donated millions to charity.....he was also a well know big time gambler, his bets of millions of dollars made headlines here often.......

James Packer, is a quiet, intelligent knock about type of bloke, also popular with the australian public....he is also into scientology, but doesnt make a big deal about it....

Like  I said, I have never heard or read anything ever, indicating that he may be gay....and of course, I realize, that becaus he owns the newspapers, magazines and television stations, that he is probably shielded from any news that he may not want the public to know.....

On the other hand, if he was gay, I couldnt see it making any difference to the way he does business or carries on with his life, so if he was, i dont think he would need to keep it a secret anyway.

I think the link he has with Tom Cruise is the scientology thing.....that to me is the only thing they seem to have in common.....I have often wondered how someone as nice as James Packer could even be friends with such a dick head as Tom.

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2006, 06:55:42 pm »
Katie

Maybe the fact is we just dont like the guy, maybe he is so presumptuous that everything he does is so correct, that we dont like that about him, and we were glad that in a moment of weakness (or however you like to describe it), he jumped on a couch and made a complete fool of himself, and so damaged his self rightious, always right, always in control image.

You put your finger right on it.  Tom has long been in charge of his own money, his own career and his own life and he’s been entirely successful at it.  With that success came fame, money and power.  However, not everyone reacts well to having too much success.  Tom is a case in point.  He had run-ins with Steven Spielberg, another man long in charge of his own money, very successful career and life.  Is it any wonder he had issues with the man?  Irresistable force Tom meeting immovable object Spielberg.

Tom is an artiste, well known as taking his acting as a serious art form, requiring devotion to his craft.  I remember reading Mimi Rogers saying Tom once thought of giving up sex to ‘rechannel’ his sexual energy into acting.  I also read something about how he experimented on an underwater scene, considering how the bubbles should look like coming out of his left and right nostrils.

That’s a man who’s detail-oriented to the point of being obsessively anal. 

I am not surprised this kind of obsessive, detail-oriented control extends to the man’s personal life.  Where is Suri?  I’m sure Katie would like to take her out strolling in the park like a normal person.  I’m sure Suri’s grandparents would love to have the kid for the weekend, take her to church and show off the grandchild to their friends and neighbors.

Do you see that happening while Tom is calling the shots?

The problem comes in when Tom – like Michael Jackson – being so successful in life, no longer listens to any advice other than his own.  He is the final word, the decision maker in his own life.  He’s made a success of that, why should he listen to others?  So if Tom decides to read up on psychiatry, he’ll go about in an obsessive way, form his own opinion and decide he’s right.  No one else can counter his position without him thinking they don’t know what they’re talking about.  They’re just being ‘glib’.  Tom has made his decision.  No one else is right.  And because Tom – like Michael Jackson - is surrounded by people who depend on him for their livelihood, no one is going to disagree with him either.  So Tom will do whatever he wants to do because Tom wants to do it, no matter how bizarre it might seem to others or how it might reflect on him.  Other opinions don’t matter, only his because he is King of the World.   ::)   

Giancarlo

Don't think I'm excusing their behavior. Tom had a lot of the spot light on him too... and it puts out a negative image.

In fact I'm insulted you think that I'm excusing their behavior.

Well don’t be.  I was merely countering your statement that Tom’s behavior was ‘outrageous’ and must have had something to do with the breakup with Paramount.  I merely pointed out that Tom’s behavior compared to other actors' behavior seems a bit tame in comparison.  I didn’t say that you were excusing the others.  The Huffington article Vickie posted really brings this point home.

Sheyne

SO glad to see you back girlfriend. ;D

think what makes it more outrageous than Downey, Ryder, Sizemore or Heche is that NONE of them did what they did to be a media-whore and grab the attention Cruise was obviously after.  I've always been suspicious - why would some privacy-nut like Tom Cruise be SO keen to publicise this romance if it was genuine? He protected Nicole and his kids with a fervor that was bordering on scary. I've felt the whole TomKat thing was just cooked up to offset the gay rumours that have plagued him. And now they roped some young and overly-ambitious starlet in and worse, brought a child into it.  Now THAT'S outrageous

Tom is a media-whore.  But that’s the name of the game isn’t it?  Playing the media to keep yourself in the headlines, keep yourself in the public eye, keep yourself in demand?  Media whores are the most successful public figures out there.  They know how to play the media and the public.  While I feel exactly the same way about the Katie thing as you, the truth is, she’s pushing 30 years old.  She isn’t a Lindsey Lohan ingénue.  She’s a grown woman and if she didn’t know what she was doing, getting roped in by a Svengali, blinded by the Tom Cruise posters of her childhood with stars in her eyes, then she has no one to blame but herself.  She had her family there, disapproving of Tom from the beginning.  Sad to say, she’s made her bed and now she has to deal with it.  As for the whys…first thought was that the guy was going through a mid-life crisis.  Men do strange things during that time of life.  They run off to Tahiti, buy Ferarris, have affairs with young things. [shrugs]  Who knows?
« Last Edit: August 25, 2006, 11:28:11 pm by delalluvia »

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2006, 08:37:49 am »

I think the link he has with Tom Cruise is the scientology thing.....that to me is the only thing they seem to have in common.....I have often wondered how someone as nice as James Packer could even be friends with such a dick head as Tom.

Maybe it is just Scientology, but...who knows? This from msnbc:

Grooming his successor
Has Tom Cruise snagged the promise of more big bucks for Scientology?

The “Mission Impossible” star has been honored for being the biggest donor to the religion, and is said to have raised more than $1.6 million for a controversial detox program for firefighters in New York that is linked to Scientology. But the real money may be yet to come.

While filming “The Last Samurai,” Cruise became chummy with James Packer, whose billionaire father, Kerry Packer was the richest man in Australia. The elder Packer died this week, and James Packer is widely believed to be inheriting his father’s empire.

“James Packer was spotted around a Scientology campus in Australia, has made frequent trips in Los Angeles where Scientology is headquartered, and reportedly spent time in Scientology counseling sessions in Sydney — and Tom Cruise is his pal,” Cultnews.com’s Rick Ross tells The Scoop. “Practically everything that Tom Cruise does has some connection to Scientology. The thinking is that Cruise has groomed this guy to be a big giver to follow in Cruise’s footsteps. After all, Tom Cruise is the biggest giver Scientology has.”

And this is from an Australian newspaper....

In response, James Packer adopted a lower profile in Sydney and increased his trips to the US, where he frequently vacationed with Cruise at his Telluride, Colorado, estate.

A few weeks after the death of Kerry Packer on Boxing Day, James again packed his snow gear and headed to Telluride.

Although Cruise was not close to Kerry Packer, he flew to James's side in his private Gulfstream jet on Thursday for Friday's memorial service at Sydney Opera House.

He checked his pregnant partner Katie Holmes into the Park Hyatt before dressing in khaki T-shirt and jeans and slipping out to attend a private cocktail party at the Packer family's Bellevue Hill compound.

By nightfall, the men were packing bags for a helicopter flight to the family property Ellerston, near Scone.

Cruise's friendship and the likely and ongoing influence of Scientology have, say friends, given Mr Packer a newfound sense of "peace and focus".

It appears that Mr Packer has found the man who will help coach and support him through the next phase of his life.

Just my 2 cents but it sure seems interesting that "the men" are spending all this time together on private vacations and such...."coach and support" --  interesting euphemism, if you ask me.

Leslie
« Last Edit: August 26, 2006, 08:40:02 am by MaineWriter »
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Giancarlo

« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2006, 06:04:50 pm »

Giancarlo

Well don’t be.  I was merely countering your statement that Tom’s behavior was ‘outrageous’ and must have had something to do with the breakup with Paramount.  I merely pointed out that Tom’s behavior compared to other actors' behavior seems a bit tame in comparison.  I didn’t say that you were excusing the others.  The Huffington article Vickie posted really brings this point home.

Okay.. you are clearly not reading my posts. I have said it is one of the factors. Most of his behavior is indeed outrageous, and has received substantial media spotlight. That is one the reasons why it is damaging business. And Mission Impossible III as I stated was not that great of a money maker. It utterly fell behind in the domestic market (and failed to make back its budget).

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2006, 07:56:04 pm »
Okay.. you are clearly not reading my posts. I have said it is one of the factors. Most of his behavior is indeed outrageous, and has received substantial media spotlight. That is one the reasons why it is damaging business. And Mission Impossible III as I stated was not that great of a money maker. It utterly fell behind in the domestic market (and failed to make back its budget).

LOL!  And you're not reading my posts either.  I was well aware you said it was one of the factors.  That's why I said you said it had 'something' to do with the break with Paramount.  Not that it was the overweening cause.

We're going to have to agree to disagree about what we each consider 'outrageous'.  His pushing his own religion, getting stupidly overexcited about his lovelife and being egomaniacal is hardly IMO 'outrageous' comparatively speaking.

That ANYthing out of Hollywood has received substantial media coverage doesn't mean what is reported over and over again is substantially newsworthy in the first place.

Example, Brad Pitt getting caught naked on his balcony by the paparazzi.  The pictures circulating in tabloids and the internet.  This went on for some weeks.

Newsworthy?

Pitt has a penis and here's the proof? (to quote Brad himself).

Hardly.

MI:III did not make its budget in the U.S., but it did so handily with overseas business and that wasn't including the DVD sales as I recall reading.

Offline Sheyne

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • I am pretty good with a canoe tho..
« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2006, 05:12:02 am »
Wow, Leslie....that sure rocked my socks a bit......the guy you are talking about is James Packer, now one of Australias richest men, since his father, Kerry Packer died last year.

He is in the news a lot here in Australia, has been since he was a young boy, but there has NEVER been any signs, rumours or indications that HE is gay...he has been married, but now divorced, and for the last few years been dating a popular model.

Katie, clearly you haven't been reading the same gossip rags as my mum cause James Packer HAS been plagued by gay rumours and has copped them for YEARS!!!! There was some huge scandal with his breakup with Kate Fischer - you might remember they were engaged and then she suddenly and mysteriously "changed her mind" about marrying him and was given $10 million dollars to "never speak about, write about or discuss any aspect of her relationship" with James.  Hmmm....   *raises eyebrows"

And then he married Jodhi Meares, an extremely well-endowed swimsuit model. James virtually gave her unlimited access to the Packer fortune to start her own swimsuit design business - Tigerlily (they have great swimwear actually) and then 2 years after the business was off the ground, James and Jodhi divorced.  Same deal - HUGE sum of cash for Jodhi to never speak about her relationship with James.

Hmmm again... *taps pencil on desk*

Del..  good to be back..  ;D
Chut up!

Offline Katie77

« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2006, 08:50:32 am »
Gee Shonna, its all new to me.....maybe i have been living in the country too long, or not reading the right magazines.....(i would guess that any newpaper or magazine, carrying such stories, would NOT be Packer owned)......

I can honestly say, I have never read anything about James being gay....I remember the break ups with Kate and Jodhi......but in the news I read, it didnt mention it.

My thoughts, though, if James is gay, what the diff, he seems like a nice enough bloke, as are most gay guys, my only point of view on that subjuect would be still.......How could he get tangled up with a dick head like Tom.......