Author Topic: My New York Trip  (Read 5278 times)

Offline Sheyne

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • I am pretty good with a canoe tho..
My New York Trip
« on: August 23, 2006, 07:55:28 am »

Hey all..

I'm leaving for NY in exactly a month (not that i'm counting or nothin')  ;D

For those who have visited this grand city, have you got any tips for me?

Anything that is a MUST see?  I've never travelled for pleasure before - this is my first, bona fide holiday and I want to know what I have to see!

Please share...

Sheyne.
Chut up!

Offline opinionista

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: My New York Trip
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2006, 08:53:42 am »
Hey all..

I'm leaving for NY in exactly a month (not that i'm counting or nothin')  ;D

For those who have visited this grand city, have you got any tips for me?

Anything that is a MUST see?  I've never travelled for pleasure before - this is my first, bona fide holiday and I want to know what I have to see!

Please share...

Sheyne.

Hi Sheyne,

I'm sure Jenny will tell you with more detail, but try to visit Brooklyn. Don't stick yourself to Manhattan only. Some zones in Brooklyn are very beautiful and nice, for example Brooklyn Heights. There are wonderful outdoors cafes there.

Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2006, 10:41:28 am »
You should deffinatly go to the top of the Empire State building  for the view, and if you are inclined I would suggest going to ground zero where the WTC was, that is if you want to. Greenwich Village is a must see, and the "main" gay area, Christopher Street, that is a fun place.

How long will you be there? There is a Brokie get together in Boston, a few hours by train, on 9/23. Would be great if you could join us.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline Sheyne

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • I am pretty good with a canoe tho..
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2006, 08:08:29 am »

Oh Shakes, I would have loved to participate in the Boston get-together but I'm afraid I will be in transit when that is going on. I don't even touch down in NY until evening of the 23rd.  I'm definitely visting Ground Zero and I'm staying quite close to Greenwich Village, so I'll be sure to explore it.

Thanks for those other suggestions, Natali - although, I'm only there for a few days, I will definitely try to get over to Brooklyn - if there's one thing I am a sucker for, its a lovely outdoor cafe!
Chut up!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2006, 08:48:50 am »
Sheyne,

You definitely want to get tickets for a show. There is a discount booth "Tkts" and you can get tickets on the day of the show there. Choices will be limited but it is all about the experience of seeing someting on Broadway. You've got to do that.

Between now and then, you might want to watch some movies filmed in NYC and then you can visit various locations. Off the top of my head, and in no particular order, I can think of "Midnight Cowboy," "Breakfast at Tiffany's," "Hair" (good scene in Central Park at the beginning), "Elf," and "Tootsie."

Brand new, "The Devil Wears Prada" has lots of scenes of NY. Half of Woody Allen's movies fit the bill, too. "An Affair to Remember" has the famous Empire State Buliding scene. "Serendipity," with John Cusack; "Splash," with Tom Hanks and Daryl Hannah (just watched that a few weeks ago, oh so sweet). "Kissing Jessica Stein" has some nice views of NY, too. The opening sequence of "West Side Story" and scenes filmed on location are all in Hell's Kitchen (I believe). All those buildings were torn down soon after the movie was finished to build Lincoln Center, which you can get a nice view of in "The Producers" and "Moonshine." "Working Girl," another fav of mine, also features NY and after seeing that, you'll want to ride on the Staten Island ferry.

That should keep you busy for awhile. LOL.

Leslie

Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2006, 11:07:04 am »
Sheyne, it's so nice to see you posting again here!  I've only been to NYC twice, I'm sorry to say, but both times I saw shows there and was happy I did.  I also went up to the observation deck at the Empire State Building and was glad I did that, too.  I'd also recommend, if you can fit it in, visiting the Museum of Natural History and/or the Metropolitan Museum of Art.  Time well-spent at both of those.

My #1 suggestion:  Get a Fodor's Guide to NYC and/or Manhattan.  They usually have some really good tips for places to see/restaurants/hotels/etc. on and off the beaten path.

I wish I could meet up with you there!  That'll be a lovely time of year to visit, too.  I'm so jealous!

Glad to have you back here with us.  :)
No more beans!

Offline opinionista

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2006, 11:40:40 am »
Oh Shakes, I would have loved to participate in the Boston get-together but I'm afraid I will be in transit when that is going on. I don't even touch down in NY until evening of the 23rd.  I'm definitely visting Ground Zero and I'm staying quite close to Greenwich Village, so I'll be sure to explore it.

Thanks for those other suggestions, Natali - although, I'm only there for a few days, I will definitely try to get over to Brooklyn - if there's one thing I am a sucker for, its a lovely outdoor cafe!

Well, the subway ride from West Village to Brooklyn is not long. About 10-15 minutes. Brooklyn Heights is the first stop of A and C trains in Brooklyn (Station is High St.). You can take those lines at West 4th St. subway station in Greenwhich Village. Anyway, better ask Jenny (newyearsday) or DeeDee, because I haven't been to NYC in 8 years, and right now I'm not sure I'm remembering correctly. But try to go, you could be there two three hours one evening. It's really nice. http://www.southbrooklyn.net/b_heights.html#
« Last Edit: August 24, 2006, 11:53:36 am by opinionista »
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2006, 04:22:46 pm »
ooh! sheyne..

I've got a whole itiniery of what I did when I went to NY (I'm so jealous of you!!!) and will email over to you (remind me, will you!?) but I would DEF recommend big apple greeters. A free, GREAT service.

http://www.bigapplegreeter.org/

http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2006, 04:00:34 am »
Leslie's list of movies is a good one.  One i would add, because it was filmed when I was about the age of the young girls in the movie, and totally reminds me of growing up in Manhattan is "The World of Henry Orient," an odd Peter Sellers movie with beautiful views of the area I grew up in.

How about the fountain by the Plaza Hotel?  Bloomingdale's?  The 42nd Street library, Grand Central Station.  The art galleries along Madison Avenue in the 50s through 80s.  Pretend your rich and imagine buying some art.  The Carnegie Deli.  The U.N. (take the tour).  Carnegie Hall (take the tour).  Ellis Island where immigrants landed. 

I wish I could see you there....

Elle

Offline Mary Twist

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2006, 05:41:52 pm »
Dear, I can think of nothing more important to see in the city of New York than the sacred site of the former World Trade Center which truly and sadly transformed our entire great nation.  Ennis and I visited it twice together earlier this year on our natioal tours for the unforgetable Brokeback Mountain film and then the dvd. 

Special blessings for your special BBM trip, Miss Sheyne.

Mrs. Twist
You come back and see us soon.  We'll have fresh hot coffee and homemade cherry cake!