Author Topic: Four (now THIRTEEN!) Effin' Years! How will you celebrate?  (Read 58784 times)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Four (now ELEVEN!) Effin' Years! How will you celebrate?
« Reply #240 on: December 16, 2018, 11:23:09 am »
Yes, she was aware and I had lent it to her because she was interested in reading the story. That was an eventful year for her, her senior year in high school. She was sweet on a boy in her class and he told her he was gay. After initially being heartbroken, she became friends with him and started a diversity club at the school. It was a very conservative school and parents objected but she stood up for it, called a schoolwide meeting which I attended. One of the teachers read some of the hate mail he'd gotten. She received an award at the end of the year as an outstanding leader.

I remember this about her. She sounded very admirable!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • I'm marching for her!
Re: Four (now THIRTEEN!) Effin' Years! How will you celebrate?
« Reply #241 on: December 16, 2018, 03:13:22 pm »
Did you notice my use of "had gotten"? (Inside joke)  :laugh:
May 2019 be better for us all.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #242 on: December 16, 2018, 06:02:39 pm »
Oh, and Chuck, remember that trailer about the British man who suddenly decided he wanted to swim the English Channel, and how upset his wife was about it? I never want to see that trailer again for the rest of my life! I had that thing memorized!!

THANK YOU!!!  That was the trailer I was trying to remember! 

In fact, there were comments on DCF back when BBM left the theaters, and they went like this:

#1:  "What are you going to miss when Brokeback leaves the theaters?"

#2:  "I can tell you what I'm not going to miss, watching the trailer for "On A Clear Day" any more!"

#3:  "On A Clear Day".....is that the movie where Barbara Streisand swims the English Channel?"

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #243 on: December 17, 2018, 12:23:02 am »
I actually watched On A Clear Day once, it was ok....

I remember getting that Roanoke Times out of the paper box and turning to the movie listings and at the bottom of the listing for the Grandin Theater "Next Week. Brokeback Mountain". Seemed like a long time to wait.

The Yahoo board, that was were I met a number of you. And then I discovered Bettermost and I wound up here.

The unravelling never ends. Recently a friend on facebook revealed to me he is Brokeplex. I was rite tickled.

"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #244 on: December 17, 2018, 09:37:55 am »

The unravelling never ends. Recently a friend on facebook revealed to me he is Brokeplex. I was rite tickled.

:o

Wow Truman, say hi to Bill from me! I always liked Brokeplex. We talked about meeting in Chicago once, when I was picking up my son from school and Bill was attending a Trekkie convention, but the timing didn't work out. I promised to buy him a bourbon-and-branch if I ever visited DFW, because it seems like such a Texas-y drink. Or at least a Texas-y name for whiskey and water. I believe he said he prefers scotch, though.

I'm curious about his political views these days. We used to PM about politics in a friendly way. I remember long before the 2016 election I asked him who he liked for president. He named a few people but I noticed none was Ted Cruz. That seemed like a conspicuous absence, since they're both from Texas. He said he and other conservative politicos feel Cruz is more effective in the Senate.

I'm pretty sure he did not mention the guy who actually did get elected.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #245 on: December 17, 2018, 09:16:41 pm »
And then I discovered Bettermost and I wound up here.

And we are happy you did!!!

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!