Author Topic: Four (now FOURTEEN!) Effin' Years! How will you celebrate?  (Read 183706 times)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Four (now ELEVEN!) Effin' Years! How will you celebrate?
« Reply #240 on: December 16, 2018, 11:23:09 am »
Yes, she was aware and I had lent it to her because she was interested in reading the story. That was an eventful year for her, her senior year in high school. She was sweet on a boy in her class and he told her he was gay. After initially being heartbroken, she became friends with him and started a diversity club at the school. It was a very conservative school and parents objected but she stood up for it, called a schoolwide meeting which I attended. One of the teachers read some of the hate mail he'd gotten. She received an award at the end of the year as an outstanding leader.

I remember this about her. She sounded very admirable!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: Four (now THIRTEEN!) Effin' Years! How will you celebrate?
« Reply #241 on: December 16, 2018, 03:13:22 pm »
Did you notice my use of "had gotten"? (Inside joke)  :laugh:
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #242 on: December 16, 2018, 06:02:39 pm »
Oh, and Chuck, remember that trailer about the British man who suddenly decided he wanted to swim the English Channel, and how upset his wife was about it? I never want to see that trailer again for the rest of my life! I had that thing memorized!!

THANK YOU!!!  That was the trailer I was trying to remember! 

In fact, there were comments on DCF back when BBM left the theaters, and they went like this:

#1:  "What are you going to miss when Brokeback leaves the theaters?"

#2:  "I can tell you what I'm not going to miss, watching the trailer for "On A Clear Day" any more!"

#3:  "On A Clear Day".....is that the movie where Barbara Streisand swims the English Channel?"

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #243 on: December 17, 2018, 12:23:02 am »
I actually watched On A Clear Day once, it was ok....

I remember getting that Roanoke Times out of the paper box and turning to the movie listings and at the bottom of the listing for the Grandin Theater "Next Week. Brokeback Mountain". Seemed like a long time to wait.

The Yahoo board, that was were I met a number of you. And then I discovered Bettermost and I wound up here.

The unravelling never ends. Recently a friend on facebook revealed to me he is Brokeplex. I was rite tickled.

"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #244 on: December 17, 2018, 09:37:55 am »

The unravelling never ends. Recently a friend on facebook revealed to me he is Brokeplex. I was rite tickled.

:o

Wow Truman, say hi to Bill from me! I always liked Brokeplex. We talked about meeting in Chicago once, when I was picking up my son from school and Bill was attending a Trekkie convention, but the timing didn't work out. I promised to buy him a bourbon-and-branch if I ever visited DFW, because it seems like such a Texas-y drink. Or at least a Texas-y name for whiskey and water. I believe he said he prefers scotch, though.

I'm curious about his political views these days. We used to PM about politics in a friendly way. I remember long before the 2016 election I asked him who he liked for president. He named a few people but I noticed none was Ted Cruz. That seemed like a conspicuous absence, since they're both from Texas. He said he and other conservative politicos feel Cruz is more effective in the Senate.

I'm pretty sure he did not mention the guy who actually did get elected.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #245 on: December 17, 2018, 09:16:41 pm »
And then I discovered Bettermost and I wound up here.

And we are happy you did!!!

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #246 on: March 22, 2020, 06:25:08 am »
Yesterday was my effin 14th anniversary of seeing BBM in the cinema.
I still have the ticket stub, it's part of a collage in a glass frame. Barely readable after all those years. Just like the feelings back then, faded over time, but still present in my memory. My BBM poster still up on the wall and I plan to keep it there.
I know I've been absent here for a long time, but I'm happy to still be friends with you and to see most of you on FB regularly. After 14 years still an important part of my everyday life.
Love to all my Brokie friends :-*

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #247 on: March 22, 2020, 11:03:42 am »
Nice message, Chrissi! What a weird fluke this is -- we all happened to see a movie that hit us so hard we gathered here and analyzed every granule of it for literally years while also discussing our lives, playing games, debating politics, sharing music. We literally have our own language. The ones who stuck around long enough formed relationships that had 1 in a gazillionth chance of happening. And to think I came very close to seeing The New World that fateful night! :laugh: Then I'd have a whole different group of TNW-obsessed friends. No probably not.

So here I am,14 fuckin years -- a third of my adulthood! I've met some of you in person. I see some of you frequently here and/or on FB. Even if it's just occasionally it always feels like a comfortable friendship it's easy to slip back into. Then there are Brokies I've lost touch with but will always remember fondly.

Ain't no reins on this one!  :-*

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #248 on: March 22, 2020, 11:59:40 am »
My memory was that I'd seen it six times in the theater. It was actually eight times. I know this because I have every ticket stub from every viewing. I keep them in an envelope inside my hard copy of Story to Screenplay.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #249 on: March 22, 2020, 02:21:31 pm »
I can't remember my numbers for theater vs. video, but I do know that I've seen it 22 times, the last time (or at least second-to-last) in the company of Brokies in Estes Park.

I remember a couple of pleasant but non-Brokieish guys were here for a short time. They were friends with somebody, maybe Aussie Sheila or whatever her name was. I was talking to one and when I told him I'd seen it 22 times he seemed shocked.

Clarissa said he should have replied, "What, didn't you like it?"  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Instead I told him 22 was actually a pretty low number in these parts.