Author Topic: Ang Lee and the POM synergy  (Read 20992 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: Directions and the POM synergy
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2006, 09:00:27 pm »
I just finished watching again. I only saw one knife block full of knives and I only saw one fan,
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2006, 12:03:56 am »
I just finished watching again. I only saw one knife block full of knives and I only saw one fan,

OK. Well, having more than one knife set or coffee pot didn't make sense anyway. What, did someone throw him a bridal shower?

I think I remember what ruthlessly said knives symbolized: their relationship. That still doesn't explain why there'd be more than one, though.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2006, 08:23:37 am »

Yep. I just checked the screencaps and I found only one block of knives, too. There's something similar to the block of knives on the counter, but it seems to be other kitchen utensils, no knives. I'll attach two pictures. In the first, the *other* object is left of the block of knives. In the second pic, it's on the right edge of the pic, behind the block of knives. Both times, the block of knives and the *other* object are not in focus, but can be seen good enough.
Both pictures are by roniabirk from www.stripedwall.com

What a sad picture the first one is  :'(
« Last Edit: August 30, 2006, 08:32:57 am by Penthesilea »

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2006, 08:29:25 am »
Off topic here:

Junior: "Daddy, you need more furniture."

Where the heck should Ennis have put more furniture? The trailer is full. Other, better furniture, yes. But more?

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2006, 04:05:42 pm »
LOL Pent, you're right. But I think Alma Jr. like most everyone, was speaking in code. What do U suppose she meant? Maybe pointing out that Ennis was living with only one foot in the material world. But on another level, I think he wanted to return to a way of living on the mountain in the camp. Just a log to lean against while sitting round the fire, and a washtub for a bathroom, a grate to cook on. I can understand where he's coming from...

Offline Mikaela

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2006, 03:41:02 pm »
Where the heck should Ennis have put more furniture? The trailer is full. Other, better furniture, yes. But more?

I think Alma Jr. is speaking in polite code for "Daddy, you need a home" as in "Daddy, you need a life". The stuff in Ennis's trailer looks like the accidental leftovers from a garage jumble sale - decrepit lamps, random odds and ends including that block of knives, broken stuff that has been kept on the odd chance it may one day be mended.....

Except for the hidden little Brokeback shrine the trailer's interior is impersonal, cold, indifferent, can be left at any time without a backward glance. It's not a home, it's not the frame surrounding an actual *life*, it's a place to exist while the days go by. It's downright scary to think that Ennis actually lives there.  :'(  You're so right - the first picture is so sad it hurts!

If I were a spiritual person I'd find it extremely painful to imagine Jack looking in on Ennis from some other reality, and seeing that first image or other moments like it.

~~~~

Lee, I'm with you in surmising that Ennis rushes off for some Jack-related alone-time when he leaves the kitchen with that purposeful stride after having re-read the postcard. Partly so as to not have to come up with more lies to answer Alma's queries, but I agree it's mostly to be alone with his thoughts and memories of Jack, - letting himself imaginine the upcoming reunion. And it's a very short step to including the line you're quoting in the likely scenario.......   
« Last Edit: August 31, 2006, 03:43:16 pm by Mikaela »

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2006, 03:53:37 pm »
Actually those are Katharine's (latjoreme's) thoughts, though I go along with them completely, Mikaela!!

Offline Mikaela

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2006, 06:10:40 pm »
Ooops! Sorry, Katherine!  You're a real thinker, you know I think so.  8)

Has anyone figured out the exact layout of the Del Mar Riverton apartment? Ennis is rushing from the kitchen into the living room towards the bedroom/bathroom section, far as I can tell.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2006, 06:12:18 pm by Mikaela »

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2006, 01:19:01 pm »
Thanks for this diagram, it really answers a few questions!! Could the dotted space be the girls' bedroom?

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2006, 06:50:02 pm »
bump
"Laß sein. Laß sein."