Author Topic: Random thoughts, surprising tangents  (Read 2615 times)

moremojo

Random thoughts, surprising tangents
« on: August 31, 2006, 10:34:09 pm »
There very well may be threads already in existence pursuing the train of thought I would like to present here. Feel free, anyone reading this, to direct me to the earlier efforts that another may have made to organize discussion along this line. But in the meantime, I thought it might be fun and/or edifying to establish a space whereby we can share random thoughts that the film or story engender in us, and even steer those thoughts along tangents that might not have readily occurred to us, but prove enlightening in surprising ways.

Here's an example of what I had in mind: In the original story, we read of a moment after Ennis's "high-time supper" with Jack at camp, when he is riding back to the sheep feeling so happy that "he could paw the white out of the moon." Now, this scene is set in the summer of 1963, and most of 1963 fell under the Chinese Year of the Rabbit (or Hare, depending on translation, or even Cat, according to the Vietnamese variation of this astrological system). There is a folklore tradition in some cultures, including, I believe, the Chinese, that a hare resides, and can be seen in the moon. I imagine a benign lunar rabbit totemically presiding over that happy nocturnal landscape, and Proulx's use of the word "paw" further connotes animal imagery (though admittedly in reference to Ennis). Furthermore, the Rabbit was the tutelary symbol for the very year which saw Ennis's first fateful meeting with Jack. That one passing reference to the moon evokes a stream of associations that might be far from the original author's concerns, but which are nonetheless evocative and rewarding for me to ponder.

I hope my argument and example are not too garbled, and that my theme is not redundant. I invite all who are interested to lend their own examples.

Note: The above quotes from Proulx's story are paraphrased from memory.

moremojo

Re: Random thoughts, surprising tangents
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2006, 11:05:41 pm »
Hey, there's another rabbit reference! :laugh:

Thanks for replying, goadra, and for informing me of BBMGrandma's thread. I want to check that out at more length as time permits--it's kinda sad to see threads languish idle for too long.

Offline Rayn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • I'm also on FaceBook under Rayn Roberts
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2006, 06:02:30 am »
Just a couple of quick comments here.  I like the idea/thread you present Moremojo, and yes, in Asia, many think there's a rabbit in the moon.  The Japanese actually see two rabbits making "mochi" (rice cakes).

Also, Annie often uses "poetic phrases and images" such as you & Goadra point to... they are more than just colloquial or idiomatic turns, they are the same things that make poetry so powerful: multi-layers of meaning and imagery that cause the mind to move in many directions or feel many emotions at one time, in one short space of a page.   It's one reason that Annie's writing is so good.

Rayn
« Last Edit: September 02, 2006, 06:04:24 am by Rayn »

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2006, 09:40:45 am »
Thanks for pointing out this thread, which I missed almost completely before. So often, I'm following a thread and then there's a long off-topic post with some bold, all-cap, red words in it and then I just get lost...

But I loved the post from you about the Wonder bread!! Is that your first post!! Great observation about the bread in a Wonder bread wrapper that is on the counter when Jack meets Alma, and the bread in a clear wrapper, when Alma outs Ennis.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2008, 11:54:33 am »
The other reference to the rabbit is late in the movie, when Jack compares Lureen to a rabbit trying to get into a snakehole with a coyote on its tail. It's fascinating how Ang/the screenwriters take Annie Proulx's words and adapt them for the screen!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2009, 10:55:57 am »
Today I'm wondering why we always saw Ennis on a horse when he was dealing with the sheep, while Jack was often physically wrestling with the sheep or otherwise down on the ground. Any insight?