Author Topic: "Crocodile Hunter" Steve Irwin Killed Today  (Read 31527 times)

Offline ffrn

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: "Crocodile Hunter" Steve Irwin Killed Today
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2006, 09:04:26 am »
I find it really interesting he was far better known outside of Australia than in it.  I've lived in Australia all my life and had never even heard of him until that episode a year or so ago when he held one of his children above a crocodile enclosure.  And I only heard of him then because that incident was all over the news.

Offline Amber

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • Whiskey anyone?
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2006, 11:42:39 am »
It certianly made me stop in my tracks this morning when I heard the news.  Steve was such a champion for conservation.  He found a way to get even some of the least conservation minded people to watch his shows.  His willingness and JOY in wrestling with crocodiles and exploring the natural world brought the concept of protection and conservation to many people who before just did not care.  The conservation world has lost a major champion and a great man.  My condolences to his wife and children. 
"... and Ennis, not big on endearments, said what he said to his horses and daughters, little darlin." ~Proulx

"Life is not a succession of urgents nows; it is a listless trickle of why-should-I's."  Johnny Depp as the Second Earl of Rochester.

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2006, 11:57:05 am »
OMG!!!!  The guy was pretty popular in the U.S. as well. I used to watch his shows all the time when they first started airing in the U.S.   I loved his casual enthusiasm, though we all used to wonder why he got so close to such deadly animals when he was in the middle of nowhere.  He even made a Fed Ex commercial about it, making fun of him suddenly croaking over a late package of snake serum.

SOOOOOOOOOOO sad!!!

He was one of a kind and I can only hope that his family takes comfort in the fact that he was doing the work he loved and that he reached many many people with his message of conservation and love of Australia.

He will be missed and remembered.  :( :( :(

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2006, 12:28:32 pm »
This is very sad news.  I always thought he was a bit crazy and took too many chances, but he was a charmer.  Hearing of all his work with conservation makes me even sadder he's gone so soon.   Go with God, Steve.  :'(
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline whiteoutofthemoon

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2006, 12:54:52 pm »
I was truly shocked too when I heard it on the late news last nite.   While we all appreciated his enthusiasm and zest for life, what is more tragic is that the world has lost a true-hearted conservationalist and nature-lover, someone who brought awareness and appreciation of nature to millions.   He was great entertainment, but I think the world suffers more at the loss of such a staunch defender and supporter of science and education, as well as preserving our planet.

I think, however, Brokies will feel the significance of his loss even more....what we have learned from our movie is that life is short......live it to the fullest, it can be ripped away in an instant.
"They were respectful of each other's opinions, each glad to have a companion where none had been expected.  Ennis, riding against the wind back to the sheep in the treacherous, drunken light, thought he'd never had such a good time, felt he could paw the whiteoutofthemoon."

Will-U

"The Crocodile Hunter" & "Will"?
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2006, 03:20:05 pm »
I agree.  I'm just gobsmacked about this.  Will is a major "Wiggles" fan, and "Wiggly Safari" with Steve Irwin is his favorite of many, many of their videos.  Like Chris, I didn't fully appreciate him until I watched this one for the first time with Will..............

Will?  "Wiggles"?  Who's that?  Is there another Will here at BM Forum besides me?  If so, it's newz to this Will!?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sheyne, U have our appreciation for all of the 411 and the great photo.  Steve Irwin ("S.I.") is very popular in America!  It wasn't mentioned here but his lovely wife Terri is American.  BTW, we never considered S.I. "over-the-top"!  A lot of personality and enthusiasm is most desireable in real life, especially in the entertainment field.  Steve's exuberance added greatly to his uniqueness, appeal and success.

Oh, Sheyne, thanx also 4 your wonderful "exuberant" e-mails yda & tdy.  Cud U bring a postcard of S.I. from Australia when we C U in NYC in 19 days? :)

Luv 'n' life,
Will & Dre

---------------------------------------------------------
P.S.  Thanx to the subsequent explanatory 411
from both Barb 'n' Sheyne.  U galz never told
me U each have a son "Will" w/ my namesake. 
That's swell!!  My grandfather Will lived to 96!
Cheerio,
Will ;D
« Last Edit: September 04, 2006, 05:25:13 pm by Will-U »

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
Re: "The Crocodile Hunter" & Will?
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2006, 04:08:29 pm »
Will?  "Wiggles"?  Who's that?  Is there another Will here at BM Forum besides me?  If so, it's newz to this Will!?

Will is my four-year-old son.  Sorry to talk about him so familiarly there, like every single person reading this is behooved to already know who he is.  ;)

No more beans!

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2006, 05:07:14 pm »
F*cking horrible news!  :(
I watched his shows quite a few times on telly.
He was fearless, I used to get nervous just watching him do some of the things he did.

So sad. 

Offline Sheyne

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • I am pretty good with a canoe tho..
Re: "The Crocodile Hunter" & Will?
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2006, 05:10:48 pm »

Just so you know, Will, Barb has a little boy called Will.  And so do I! I think my Will is a little bit older than her Will - my Will is nearly 7.  And yes, still a big Wiggles fan.  Will, go and Google "The Wiggles". They are a group of children's entertainers from Australia. And they are waaay cool.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sheyne, U have our appreciation for all of the 411 and the great photo.  Steve Irwin ("S.I.") is very popular in America!  It wasn't mentioned here but his lovely wife Terri is American.  BTW, we never considered S.I. "over-the-top"!  A lot of personality and enthusiasm is most desireable in real life, especially in the entertainment field.  Steve's exuberance added greatly to his uniqueness, appeal and success.

Oh, Sheyne, thanx also 4 your wonderful "exuberant" e-mails yda & tdy.  Cud U bring a postcard of S.I. from Australia when we C U in NYC in 19 days? :)

I surely will, Will. I have a feeling there is going to be no shortage of Steve memorabilia available here.  :'(  He was killed only yesterday morning and yet, they had a 2 hour tribute on tv last night, with another to come tonight and then the "big" Steve memorial on Wednesday night.  

There is such a sense of loss here in Australia.  God knows I had a big cry last night. We, as a public, were only just beginning to fall in love with him the way you guys in the US did.  Me?  I just remember that lively, fluffy-haired, energetic fellow who said "beauty" and "crikey" a lot from the zoo when Will was just a toddler.  He'd talk to anyone about anything...  as long as it was crocs, snakes, animals or conservation! :-\  
Chut up!

Offline j.U.d.E.

« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2006, 07:21:23 pm »
I read this about Steve Irwin this morning. I have "Animal Planet" for a few months now and I enjoy the channel very much. But I am sorry to say, that each time he was on, I zapped. I found him rather irritating, but without knowing him really. So this morning when I read the news, I thought, I know this guy, I know him! Then I remembered "Animal Planet". I'm sorry I didn't take more time to find out about his documentaries..

j. U. d. E.
MLK - - - - - - - - - - - - HAL - - - - - - - - - - - - BHO
*15 jan 1929 - †04 apr 1968 | *04 apr 1979 - † 22 jan 2008 | *04 aug 1961 -