Author Topic: Soundtrack Shocker: "The Wings" vs. "Different God"  (Read 4243 times)

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Mayor - BetterMost, Wyoming
  • Town Administration
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
    • BetterMost
Soundtrack Shocker: "The Wings" vs. "Different God"
« on: April 03, 2006, 01:12:54 am »
While combing through my HUGE music library, I ran into this little hair-standing-on-end moment.

Several years before Gustavo Santaolalla's rendition of The Wings, Brian Kennedy, a popular Irish singer-songwriter, released Different God.  Be sitting down when you listen:

http://url123.com/x6qdg
« Last Edit: April 03, 2006, 01:20:16 am by Phillip »
You're a part of our family - BetterMost, Wyoming

Offline Aussie Chris

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: Soundtrack Shocker: "The Wings" vs. "Different God"
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2006, 09:14:20 am »
That's pretty amazing Phillip - you've got a really good ear though - I wouldn't have picked it beyond "gee the first half sounds a little like wings".

I like the song though - I've never heard of Brian Kennedy before - and I like his style.

I wonder if this is really plagiarism - or just coincidence?
Nothing is as common as the wish to be remarkable - William Shakespeare

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2006, 02:06:20 am »
Yeah, I've been cringing and worrying about this for a couple of weeks.  Someone posted about it on IMDb.  It's might close.  Mighty close.  Too mighty close.

When I read about it, I called Nipith (starboardlight), because I knew he was going to hear Gustavo speak that night in LA somewhere.  Nipith said it didn't come up there at all.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2006, 02:08:10 am by Ellemeno »

Offline starboardlight

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
    • nipith.com
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2006, 10:47:23 am »
yeah, both Kennedy and Santaolalla are quite active in the world music community. Though known to us for his scores, Gustavo is actually a performing musician first and foremost. He's actually involved with two bands. In addition he is also a music producer with his own record label. He's worked with many of the biggest groups in the world music scene. If there is a serious issue of plagiarism, this would come up by now. Santaolalla was actually touring in Europe at the same time that Kennedy performed that in Glasgow. If anyone has been to many world musician concerts, you know that they're often gathering of artist who just gather to play together, exploring mixing their music together. This could be the case. Just a theory.
"To do is to be." Socrates. - "To be is to do." Plato. - "Do be do be do" Sinatra.

Offline bbm_stitchbuffyfan

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • Ennis and Jack are Forever
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2006, 11:14:24 pm »
Yeah, I remember that being posted on IMDB (that damn troll thought so highly of himself in that thread, heh). I agree they are similar; they hit similar notes but it's not the exact same.

I don't know when Brian Kennedy performed "Different God" but Santaolalla orchestrated "The Wings" before the filming of Brokeback Mountain even began. He read the script and then became inspired to write the music. Anyone know the date of "Different God?"

www.jlodown.com
If you'd just realize what I just realized then we'd be perfect for each other and we'd never have to wonder if we missed out on each other now
We missed out on each other now

R.I.P. Heath Ledger

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "It's nobody's business but ours."
    • "every sort of organized noise"
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2006, 12:23:07 pm »
There's no question; the melody is the same...if anyione objected, I think we would have heard about it by now, though.
"We're each of us alone, to be sure. What can you do but hold your hand out in the dark?" --"Nine Lives," by Ursula K. Le Guin, from The Wind's Twelve Quarters