Author Topic: The Academy trying to prove it's not homophobic?  (Read 14168 times)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: The Academy trying to prove it's not homophobic?
« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2006, 05:28:14 pm »
All that says to me is that the majority of this Academy is out of touch, and llike the Presidential election, voted for a movie that didn't deserve to win.

Good analogy, Adrian. The feeling I had after the Oscar broadcast was eerily like the one I had the day after the last presidential election. It wasn't just the disappointment over the outcome, but the dismay of realizing that my fellow citizens could be so closeminded and stupid.

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2006, 05:30:13 pm »
Let's face it, homophobia is the reason Bush got re-elected.  His "manipulation machine" worked overtime appealing to the religious idiots to come out and vote AGAINST gay mariiage by voting FOR them.  This worked, and frightened all the poor "sheep" of middle American right into their web.  Now, most Americans feel, by recent polls, that they made a terrible mistake, and will probably try to correct it on November.

Well, this tactic worked again in Hollywood, but in a slightly different way.  As you we all know, the gay cowboy jokes were rampant.  Critics loved the movie but it slowly became unpopular to support this 'homosexual' film.  So, Lion's Gate pushed their film as the one that supported all minorities, with a moral that 'healed' relations between all peoples, except gays of course, as there were no gay characters represented.  Funny, being that it took place in Los Angeles.  Well their appeal to the older more conservative voters, the silent homophobic members and those on the fence worked like a charm.  We know Crash was the worst of the five nomimated for best picture, yet it took the prize.  All that says to me is that the majority of this Academy is out of touch, and llike the Presidential election, voted for a movie that didn't deserve to win.  Well, I am not, and never have been, "sheep", and like the voters will do in the November elections for the House and Senate, the Academy is trying to do now by inviting Jake and Heath to join the Academy and asking Ellen to host next year.  

TOO LATE.

-Adrian

Amen, Adrian.  And in this same vein, I'd like to post yet another one of the theme songs of my life written by Billie Joe Armstrong of Green Day:

Minority

I want to be the minority
I don't need your authority
Down with the Moral Majority
'Cause I want to be the minority

I pledge allegiance to The Underworld
One nation under dog
There of which I stand alone
A face in the crowd
Unsung, against the mold
Without a doubt
Singled out
The only way I know

Down with the Moral Majority

Stepped out of the line
Like a sheep runs from the herd
Marching out of time
To my own beat now
The only way I know

One light, one mind
Flashing in the dark
Blinded by the silence of a thousand broken hearts
"For crying out loud" she screamed unto me
A free for all
F*** 'em all
You are your own sight

Down with the moral majority

8)
No more beans!

Offline adrian

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2006, 05:42:50 pm »

WOW ednbarby, that's uncanny.  I've never seen those lyrics, yet that's how I feel.  Thank you for that.
There were only two of them on the mountain flying in the euphoric, bitter air, looking down on the hawks back and crawling lights of vehicles on the plain below....they believed themselves invisible.   A. Proulx

Offline adrian

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2006, 05:46:41 pm »
Good analogy, Adrian. The feeling I had after the Oscar broadcast was eerily like the one I had the day after the last presidential election. It wasn't just the disappointment over the outcome, but the dismay of realizing that my fellow citizens could be so closeminded and stupid.

That's funny, I remember what Jake said in the BBM dvd extra's.  He mentioned, while working with the sheep in the movie, how stupid they were.  That all he had to do was raise both his arms, and they all went running.  "Closeminded and stupid" just like them sheep!

adrian
There were only two of them on the mountain flying in the euphoric, bitter air, looking down on the hawks back and crawling lights of vehicles on the plain below....they believed themselves invisible.   A. Proulx

Offline nakymaton

• aka Mel
« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2006, 07:23:38 pm »
I will probably boycott movies made by Lion's Gate, not so much because I'm mad about last year's Oscars, but because Lion's Gate makes bad movies. (I mean, what do they make -- low-budget horror movies and Crash? I'm not giving up a heck of a lot, and I'm saving the money I would spend on tickets and popcorn.)

And I'm boycotting Paul Haggis because he's a lousy screenwriter.

And I'm boycotting the Academy because they choose what movies they call "best" through politics and bias, rather than by actually watching movies. And because I would rather get advice from people who have good taste in movies. (Or who share my taste in movies, given how much I like really deliberately bad comedies and cheesy sci-fi. Bad comedies can be entertaining; bad trying-to-be-serious dramas are really hard to take.)
Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2006, 08:32:08 pm »
Bad comedies can be entertaining; bad trying-to-be-serious dramas are really hard to take.

Ain't dat the truth?  That's exactly why I can't watch most of what's on TV these days.  I'm sorry, but I could poop a better story than most of what's on any of the hospital or cop dramas out there.  I have to wonder if any of the people behind these shows have actually ever been in a hospital or precinct or courtroom.  OK, some of them probably have those last two covered, but they must be the ones writing the hospital dramas.  Blech.
No more beans!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #36 on: September 11, 2006, 08:47:24 pm »
Speaking of bad, I don't see how anyone could stand to watch that "docudrama" that ABC is airing. It made me jittery just listening to snatches of it from the next room. Even my die-hard Republican husband didn't watch it all! Knowing it's on again tonight is keeping me at my desk so I won't have to even hear it!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2006, 02:56:57 pm »
Speaking of bad, I don't see how anyone could stand to watch that "docudrama" that ABC is airing. It made me jittery just listening to snatches of it from the next room. Even my die-hard Republican husband didn't watch it all! Knowing it's on again tonight is keeping me at my desk so I won't have to even hear it!

I had no intention of watching it, or listening to it, or even allowing it to flitter across my TV screen.  I sent emails to ABC protesting the airing of it.  I'm considering not watching ABC ever again, which really *really* sucks for me, because that means I'll have to wait for Season 3 of "Lost" to come out on DVD (and I had thought waiting until October 4 was bad enough).  Then again, I TiVo "Lost" and fly through all the commercials anyway, so am I really watching it to ABC executives' satisfaction anyway?  Hmmmmmm.  Methinks I've found a loophole...
No more beans!

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2006, 03:00:25 pm »
WOW ednbarby, that's uncanny.  I've never seen those lyrics, yet that's how I feel.  Thank you for that.

You're quite welcome, dear Adrian.  I find pretty much all of their songs uncanny these days, especially everything on their "American Idiot" and "Warning" albums, the latter being where "Minority" was first recorded.

Glad you enjoyed it.  :)
No more beans!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #39 on: September 12, 2006, 03:05:41 pm »
I'm considering not watching ABC ever again, which really *really* sucks for me, because that means I'll have to wait for Season 3 of "Lost" to come out on

Now I especially take back everything, Barb. With all these boycotts, you've found a great way to simplify your life!   There's just way too much to do/read/watch/hear/pay attention to these days. :D