Author Topic: Phil Skips Stones Across the Pond of Life  (Read 157680 times)

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Mayor - BetterMost, Wyoming
  • Town Administration
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
    • BetterMost
Re: Phil Skips Stones Across the Pond of Life: My Thyroid & Me
« Reply #70 on: July 19, 2007, 12:37:56 am »
Well, after having a lot of test results shipped down to Pittsburgh because of the atypical nature of them, there is an answer for me and my ongoing thyroid issue.  I'm one of those 3% of cases that present with atypical hyperfunctioning colloid nodules and at least one of them is firing off hormones that are telling my body I am in some sort of starvation mode.  So this explains why a cold I had several weeks ago left with with more than a month of hoarseness (one of the nodules had swollen and was pressing near the voicebox) and, more importantly for me, why I have ballooned up to giant economy family size despite my ongoing intense exercise efforts.  No matter what I eat, my body says, "oh my god... it's the first food in weeks... store every bit of it!"  I also am prone to hot flashes.  It's like menopause... one minute fine, the next minute the perspiration is everywhere.

Yay.

The good news is I have an answer for what is going on, and these are typically benign and not cancerous.  The complicated news is that generalized thyroid hormone therapy is potentially ineffective for me because I do not have traditional hypothyroidism, and as they deal with the nodule issue, that could resolve the hyperfunctionality and then I'd also be on medication for the same thing, and getting off the meds can be a real problem.  The bad news is the first stage treatment for this is having ethanol injected into the nodules with teeny tiny needles to shrink them, and then potentially going with radioactive iodine (yum), plus ongoing tests to ensure nothing else pops up.

Whatever.  For me, I just want justice on behalf of those like me who can eat a rice cake and gain three pounds vs. selected others who can wolf pizza down and not gain an ounce.

But I shall live, and hopefully with treatment things will resolve.  John is going crazy having to deal with my high tuna diet (a can of tuna alone is a typical lunch for me - keep the protein high and the carbs on the low side), and John thinks tuna smells.  But I can also have my sushi and eat it too.
You're a part of our family - BetterMost, Wyoming

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Town Administration
    • BetterMost
Re: Phil Skips Stones Across the Pond of Life
« Reply #71 on: July 19, 2007, 12:48:04 am »
« Last Edit: July 19, 2007, 12:53:41 am by Phillip Dampier »

injest

« Reply #72 on: July 19, 2007, 12:51:09 am »
wait a minute...tuna by itself?? no bread? no crackers? You are sick!

:laugh: :laugh:

:P

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #73 on: July 19, 2007, 12:59:09 am »
Glad you found out so you can treat it, Phillip.

I also am prone to hot flashes.  It's like menopause... one minute fine, the next minute the perspiration is everywhere.

Relating here.

I just want justice on behalf of those like me who can eat a rice cake and gain three pounds vs. selected others who can wolf pizza down and not gain an ounce.

Here, too. There is no justice.
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #74 on: July 31, 2007, 03:39:38 pm »

I totally sympathize with all of your symptoms Philip.  Hope you feel better soon. :-\

Beautiful mind

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #75 on: August 02, 2007, 12:43:42 am »
Hey Phillip - it was awesome seeing you down by the water on Moon Night, skipping real stones across real water.  I LOVED spending time with you and John.  :)

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Town Administration
    • BetterMost
« Reply #76 on: November 19, 2007, 03:17:56 pm »
Since people have been talking about the roof work being done here, I thought I'd share some pics of the house and the general vicinity, and the drama unfolding on now what is right over my head!

The front of our home has been mostly re-roofed.  The new shingles are in place and other than a stability board still in place for the contractor, it's a done deal.  What is completely wrong about all this is that the leaves are -still- working their way off the trees, at least a month later (a side-effect of global warming perhaps - they've never stayed on the trees this long and I've lived in Rochester, NY my whole life), and, of course, the air conditioner still in the window because I haven't gotten around to taking it out yet!  And in picture three, you get to see the contractor's truck.  My car is on the sidewalk.

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #77 on: November 19, 2007, 03:20:59 pm »
so are you expecting to save a ton in fuel bills this winter to offset the pinch of the reroofing?  It"s a beautiful house by the way...!
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Town Administration
    • BetterMost
« Reply #78 on: November 19, 2007, 03:25:35 pm »
It looked serene enough in the front yard, but when you get to the back....

A few points:

That's Levi up on the roof pounding away.  That room below where he is standing with the sliding glass doors is essentially "the mayor's office" because that is precisely where I am seated right now and where 90% of BetterMost work gets done by me.  The other 10% is done in John's office, located up where the second story window on the far right of the picture is located.

The last picture is of the garage, which has a tarp over it because the giant truck delivering three full palates of shingles couldn't squeeze them in the garage all of the way so the door is up.  Because it's so cool up here now, the shingles are stiff so he has a kerosene heater going in the garage warming up the shingles so they are pliable.  The neighbor's cat absolutely loves it, and can usually be found sprawling on top of the shingle pile whch retains the warmth really well in the garage.

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #79 on: November 19, 2007, 03:26:26 pm »
Wow, it is amazing Phillip, to see where you all live, it is like the revealing of detail in an on going sculpture.

Beautiful home.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."