Author Topic: Phil Skips Stones Across the Pond of Life  (Read 157692 times)

Offline John Passaniti

• Town Administration
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: Phil Skips Stones Across the Pond of Life
« Reply #140 on: December 02, 2007, 06:48:45 pm »
And now a few random shots.  In picture one, check out the leaves still on the trees bordering us from our neighbors.  I spent yesterday raking and blowing the yard and it's becoming clear we'll still be raking in December.  Picture two and three shows the view up and down our street, eastbound and then west.  The year BBM came out, the entire street was torn up and dug out, replaced from the soil level up, which created a year of chaos, dust, and one-way driving.  It looks better now though. 

Phil isn't the only one who takes pictures.  Following his picture, is a picture of what our street looked like while they were tearing it up.

Now:

Then:

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #141 on: December 02, 2007, 06:53:26 pm »

Anyway, emotionally I am fully back as well.  I think having been through this once before has made this second mess easier to deal with.  I mostly dread the hassle.

We should be back on track with BetterMost stuff starting Monday morning.

Our awesome leader! You are an inspiration to us all!!

"chewing gum and duct tape"

injest

« Reply #142 on: December 02, 2007, 07:15:28 pm »
Phil isn't the only one who takes pictures.  Following his picture, is a picture of what our street looked like while they were tearing it up.

Now:

Then:

well they did a dang good job! they even redid the sidewalk!!

Offline John Passaniti

• Town Administration
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #143 on: December 02, 2007, 09:35:08 pm »
On Monday I will begin learning the disposition of the PHILJOHN mobile (it's our license tag).

Here's a picture, featuring our prior car, which aside from being green (verses red), was the same model.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #144 on: December 03, 2007, 03:43:51 am »
Glad you're doing better.  :)

I suspect if they do fix it, we'll not see it again for three weeks.  But I have my mom's old Buick Park Avenue (the land yacht), so besides the $50 in gas I had to put into it yesterday, we'll be okay for a car for now.

???
Are you not entitled to get a rental car (and the other party's inscurance pays for it) for the time it needs to either buy and deliver a new one or have the old one fixed?

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Mayor - BetterMost, Wyoming
  • Town Administration
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
    • BetterMost
Re: Car Hell
« Reply #145 on: December 05, 2007, 06:08:35 pm »
So it begins again.  Got a call from the collision shop.  It turns out it would cost $14,000 to repair the car (engine replacement, H frame replacement, undercarriage bent), which means it's only a matter of time before I get the caller ID: TOTAL LOSS UNIT from State Farm, just like last time.  So this means I have to get back into the market.

My early goal will probably be to secure a 2008 Malibu (GM's car that works for me best) but I may look around again.  I have to pay off the $6600 still owing on the 2005 from whatever settlement I get.  It's always a perpetual car payment.  People keep aiming for me.

I'm going through the week in a haze from all of this.  This is the absolute wrong time of the year for me to have to worry about this stuff!
You're a part of our family - BetterMost, Wyoming

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #146 on: December 05, 2007, 06:10:59 pm »
yikes!!! i haven't ever had a car payment!  I buy my cars old and fix them up.  I don't know how you stand it!
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Town Administration
    • BetterMost
« Reply #147 on: December 08, 2007, 12:09:01 am »
This morning John and I cleared out the contents of our soon-to-be-junked 2005 Malibu.  We got some pictures of the damage from the accident.  The hood was intact after the accident but they tore it off at the car dealership during the evaluation process of deciding whether to fix it or junk it.  They are junking it.

Clearly the driver's side didn't bear the worst of it and my headlamps are actually still there.  But the entire frame was bent and you can also see the driver's side panel is dented in slightly.

Now the passenger side is very bad.  Remarkably, the engine compartment bore all of the major destruction.  The tires are fine.  The windshield has a small hole in it and is cracked on the passenger side as well.  From what I do not know - perhaps the passenger side airbag exploding.

Check out that windshield hole closer up, and the massive amount of twisted metal up in the front.  The passenger side door and everything behind the engine compartment was untouched in the accident.

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Town Administration
    • BetterMost
« Reply #148 on: December 08, 2007, 12:14:46 am »

Inside the passenger compartment, some mystery tissues, a rubber band and some leaves, but the star of the show is the airbags that blew.  They are a heavy canvas like material, and the dealership sort of stuffed them back into the compartments.  The passenger side one is much larger than the the driver side, which seemed mostly designed to keep your chest off the steering wheel.  My right knee had the most pain after the accident, and for the first time, I can now see why.  Check out the lower dash between the steering wheel and the radio, and you'll see a piece of the dash broken and hanging down.  When the accident happened, my knees were thrown forward into the dash, and the right one was worse.  The steering wheel airbag also threw my right hand down and to the right, and the gear shifter was no doubt what stopped by hand and caused me the pain there during the last week.  Also notice that the passenger compartment is basically undamaged.

A serious close-up of the engine compartment.

Head-on... apply directly to the airbag.

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Town Administration
    • BetterMost
« Reply #149 on: December 08, 2007, 12:16:25 am »

You can see the windshield damage much better in this one.

A look inside from the driver's side.