Author Topic: Phil Skips Stones Across the Pond of Life  (Read 158882 times)

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Mayor - BetterMost, Wyoming
  • Town Administration
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
    • BetterMost
Re: Phil's MiniBlog/Diary
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2006, 11:09:46 pm »
Whew... a marathon posting session tonight.  At least four hours worth of writing, and I'm still not even into the Safe Haven forum yet.  I think I'll rotate the order of replying to posts from now on so I get a chance to get to every forum!

You're a part of our family - BetterMost, Wyoming

Offline BBMGrandma

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • Jack....I swear.....
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2006, 03:47:25 am »
Randi Rhodes....she's my HEROINE!!  I adore that gal.  She TELLS IT like it is....big time!!! And she does get 'randy'  LOL  GREAT laughs!!!   
"If we never dream....we'll never have a dream come true"   (me...myself...and I)

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Town Administration
    • BetterMost
Re: The Media & Me
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2006, 12:34:38 am »
Yes, Randi is great when she is fired up about something.  You can also read her moods real easily and know when she is getting tired and burned out because the show suffers.  But then she goes on vacation and comes back and bam... she's back.  She was never better in the days after Katrina hit New Orleans.

I was just spending time writing messages tonight with Rita "Sucrets" Cosby blaring at me on MSNBC.  My God that woman has a voice for newspaper writing....

Offline BBMGrandma

• Jack....I swear.....
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2006, 05:16:53 am »

I was just spending time writing messages tonight with Rita "Sucrets" Cosby blaring at me on MSNBC.  My God that woman has a voice for newspaper writing....

I spend the whole time....clearing my throat...Whenever I listen to "Raspy Rita"    I have to admit though...she DOES get her job done. 
"If we never dream....we'll never have a dream come true"   (me...myself...and I)

Offline iristarr

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Ain't no reins on this one . . .
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2006, 01:48:32 pm »
OK, let me in on it -- who is Raspy Rita?  Iris
Ennis and Jack, the dogs, horses and mules, a thousand ewes and their lambs flowed up the trail like dirty water through the timber and out above the tree line into the great flowering meadows and the endless coursing wind.

Offline BBMGrandma

• Jack....I swear.....
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2006, 04:07:41 pm »
OK, let me in on it -- who is Raspy Rita?  Iris

LOL Iris....Rita Cosby....a reporter on MSNBC!!  She always sound as though she has a froggy in her throat.  It's sooo irritating to listen to...but I like the stuff she reports. 

and BTW....Hi Iris.....HUGSSSSSSSSS....Nancy

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Town Administration
    • BetterMost
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2006, 04:38:31 pm »
Oh gosh... Rita Cosby is on weeknights on MSNBC at 9:00pm ET with endless reports about missing white women, people who fell off cruise ships, and a murder victim in NYC... night after night, week after week, month after month.  Her voice is utter torture... something wrong with that woman.  A far better choice is Keith Olbermann's Countdown from 8-9pm ET.  It's news and fun... and picking on Bill O'Reilly.  Great stuff.

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Town Administration
    • BetterMost
Can't Hardly Wait for Weird Science Before Breakfast Club
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2006, 04:55:24 pm »
I had occasion last night to waste two hours of my life on Can't Hardly Wait, one of perhaps one jillion teenager-coming-of-age films.  There were actually a few laughs which kept me on the channel, but when it was all over, I thought here we have another example of Hollywood excess.  The same basic premise done over and over again.  My generation's teen angst film was probably The Breakfast Club or another one of John Hughes' endless tales of high school drama.  But it really doesn't matter because it's always the same premise.  Even Weird Science had the same basic concept wrapped into a quasi sci-fi twist.

Recipe:

Jocks
Social Outcasts
Cheerleaders
Drug Users
Sluts
One or more untouchables (fat, giant braces, bad teeth, whatever)
Clean cut innocent youth

Mix them all together into the same tired cliches, throw them in a party or force them in a room together and watch in amazement as they come to understand their nuances and vulnerabilities.  Oh please.

Can't Hardly Wait was another one of these and it had a brooding, bug-eyed Ethan Embry (pre-Dragnet for TV) fawning throughout the movie for the best girl in school who was just dumped by the biggest jock.  Embry's character got the cynical and ironic social outcast best friend to pal with, and we also got to watch the head of the physics club come alive and gain acceptance after getting tanked and letting loose.  Along the way, we get to see everyone's vulnerabilities exposed and the jock becomes the loser and the loser become popular.

The Breakfast Club confined its angst with a smaller group held for detention, but it was the same basic premise.

I notice that it is rare for a gay character to appear in one of these films - maybe they were smart enough to skip the whole affair and go to the movies instead!  But I'm not sure if these movies are designed to echo high school life or reinforce the expected social order of the pre-college years.  I'm not thrilled with the message that social lubrication via spirits is the ticket to group acceptance either.  But then I've always felt that way, even as a teenager.  Yeah, that puts me in the Janeane Garofalo-outcast group, but that was okay with me back then.  I've never been drunk (I despise the taste of alcohol, what can I say) not have I ever smoked, nor gotten high.  It just never interested me.

Since we've been discussing the social messages of Brokeback, it reminded me to write about the other white meat - teen angst movies.

Offline iristarr

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Ain't no reins on this one . . .
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2006, 08:41:40 pm »
So is  Raspy Rita on FM radio?  Can you tell me what frequency?  only listen to one or two radio stations and am quite ignorant of what is out there anymore.
Ennis and Jack, the dogs, horses and mules, a thousand ewes and their lambs flowed up the trail like dirty water through the timber and out above the tree line into the great flowering meadows and the endless coursing wind.

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Town Administration
    • BetterMost
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2006, 09:12:35 am »
Lynne, she's on MSNBC, a basic cable news channel.  If you have cable, MSNBC is likely to be a part of it.