Author Topic: Tache (and Poof) tales  (Read 94449 times)

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Re: Tache (and Poof) tales
« Reply #120 on: May 07, 2011, 01:42:40 pm »
Cat flaps don't work when your dealing with double doors (the main door and the screen door). I can't do without the screen door. They don't really do much for insulation but are invaluable when dealing with summer mosquitoes. I like to keep the front door open in good weather. Also, just how well insulated are those flaps anyways?

But thanks for your imput.
2015 - Toronto: Pan Am Games
2015 - Edmonton, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Winnipeg: Woman's World Cup of Soccer

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #121 on: May 07, 2011, 02:47:57 pm »
Cat flaps don't work when your dealing with double doors (the main door and the screen door). I can't do without the screen door. They don't really do much for insulation but are invaluable when dealing with summer mosquitoes. I like to keep the front door open in good weather. Also, just how well insulated are those flaps anyways?

But thanks for your imput.

We don't have the cat flap through the door, but through the wall. Of course, this is only possible if it's your own house.
Insulation? It is magnetic, so it shuts pretty tightly when closed. Still, there is a draft in winter, but in the big scheme of things, it isn't too bad. Especially when compared to leaving the whole door ajar, like you did for Poof last winter.

Since our outward walls are about 45cm thick, there is a whole tunnel for the cat with the cat flap at the inner end. We could put a second cat flap at the outer end for insulation, but don't think it's necessary.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #122 on: May 07, 2011, 02:56:17 pm »
Here's a pic of our cat tunnel:

I checked with Google: there are cat flaps especially for screen doors. Might be a bit trickier to teach them to go through two cat flaps at once, since there's not much room between a regular door and screen door. Maybe teach them with one cat flap and only one closed door at the beginning, then add the second door/flap after step one is mastered.

Or go for the wall instead, if it's your own house. :)

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #123 on: May 07, 2011, 03:10:36 pm »
Yep cat flap is brilliant for Skimble - it has caused 2 problems today but they are outweighed by the fact he can get i and out himself.

Problem no 1..

Today I spent five minutes chasing the cat ALL around the house while he had a live baby bird in his mouth.. then a further five minutes chasing the bird as it flew around trying to get out of the house!

Don't I know about it! :laugh:
Cäsar hasn't done it yet (thankfully), but our first cat did a few times.
And one morning, in summer, hubby left the bedroom, barefoot, and was this short || of stepping into the remains of a dead rat. :o
A lovely present that Bonnie had delivered right at our bedroom door. ::)

Problem no 2...

He has taken to if he wants fed or attention.. pawing at the catflap so it flaps back and forward noisly. As soon as I go through he heads to the cupboard where the wet food is kept and mieows...!

They know how to get our attention, don't they? If it's not the cat flap, it's a kitchen cabinet door (ask Amanda), or kicking noisy toys around on wooden floors, or whatever cat can think of. You gotta love them. Beasts! >:( ;) :)

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #124 on: August 14, 2011, 01:14:29 pm »
 :) any news about the cats? It's been a while since we've had an update. Hope all is well.
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
« Reply #125 on: August 14, 2011, 11:22:49 pm »
All is well. Not much happening, really.

Poof as become a rather needy tactile cat, but still with a mind of his own --- he'll still expect to go outside as soon as he decides he wants out.

He loves being rubbed on the stomach while I hold him like a baby in my arms. Also, rubbing under his chin is primo satisfaction for him. I've taken to sitting outside on the stoop before going to bed and spending some 20 minutes of quality time with him. Whenever I go outside in the yard, he usually finds me and either plays with the hose (when I water the garden) or lays downbeneath my chair when I go out to read.

He's a great lover of play fighting with either Tache or Anthony - and he virtually always 'fights' on his back. Today he stalked a Monarch butterfly, before jumping quite high trying to catch him. He's also been observed stalking moths and bees.

He really doesn't get around much in the house, keeping only to the kitchen and the living room.

His long hair has been a major 'pain' this summer as it's been collecting nearly a hundred seeds every day. Takes a long time to remove them while he's eating - the only time he's distracted enough to let me do so.

Tache has been a good friend to Poof. He chases (and gets chased), enjoys a good stalking of Poof or Anthony, and doesn't get bossy (Poof does) with regards to sharing his food. He also still follows me around the neighbourhood to a much greater extent than Poof does.

He went some three months without needing to be on my lap but recently he's returned to that habit - while I'm on the computer.

He's about 11 pounds - all muscle - so he climbs telephone poles (for fun?) much more frequently than the tinyer (6 pounds) Poof.
2015 - Edmonton, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Winnipeg: Woman's World Cup of Soccer

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #126 on: August 15, 2011, 04:24:35 pm »
What is it about cats wanting to get on your lap when you are on the computer?!

Skimble tries to sit on my lap when I'm on the laptop in the 4 inches of space between my tummy and the laptop! He's a huge cat so he certainly doesn't fit!
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #127 on: August 16, 2011, 07:14:35 pm »
 :) Nice to hear that all is well with your feline friends!

Vivien hates when I'm on the computer... It makes me feel so guilty when I'm on the computer. She actually refuses to sit on my lap when I use the computer. Instead she'll sit on the floor and glare at me. LOL!
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
« Reply #128 on: January 07, 2012, 07:12:27 am »
Update time - and most of it, if not all is about Poof.

First, Bryan has identified his breed.

He's a Maine Coon Cat. And though they say there ain't no such thing as purebred coon cat, Poof is Sooo much like one.They say that he's suppose to take 4 years to grow to one of the largest size for cats - my vet told me he looked small for his age  :o -  I guess so! if Poof is suppose to take 4 fuckin' years to reach his maximum weight. His tail IS long and heavily furred and he (his body, not just his tail) does resemble a raccoon.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maine_Coon

"The length is shorter on the head and shoulders, and longer on the stomach and flanks with some cats having a lion-like ruff around their neck." - YES! I though that the Maine in his breed name refered to what the lion wears around his head (but it actually refers to the supposed origin of the breed - the U.S. state).

"Their dense water-resistant fur is longer and shaggier on their underside and rear ..." - YES!

" Long tufts of fur growing between their toes help keep the toes warm and further aid walking on snow ..." - Yes!

"Heavily furred ears with extra long tufts of fur growing from inside help keep their ears warm." - Yup!

"Maine Coons are known as the "gentle giants" and possess above-average intelligence, making them relatively easy to train. They are known for being loyal to their family and cautious—but not mean—around strangers, but are independent and not clingy." - 'Gentle giant' - we'll see - in 3 years. 'Above average intelligence' - wouldn't surprise me, after all, he is bossy. 'Cautious' - for sure. Took me long enough to get him to let me close the door. 'Independent, not clingy' - they sure do know Poof!!

"Maine Coons are also well known for yowling, chattering, chirping, "talking" (especially "talking back" to their owners), and making other loud vocalizations." I think anyone who's read this thread will agree whole heartily with THAT statement!

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
« Reply #129 on: January 07, 2012, 07:36:51 am »
In the news - during the month of December, I had a (single) housefly - and Poof caught it!  :o

In the garage, Bryan found a squirrell tail attached to about 4 inches of skin and a small skull - again we suspect Poof.

I was away for a week at Christmas (Bryan did the house sitting thing) and when I got home, both cats were waiting outside - and as I approached - they fled! They took a whole day to get use to me being around again! That Bryan sure knows how to spoil those cats.

I had a look at the photos I took a year ago - and I must say, Poof looks skinny in those. With his winter coat on, he looks bigger than Tache, but Poof still weighs less.

Poof is still not exploring the whole house. He's been sighted watering up in the washroom and Tache is taking advantage of this. See, Tache doesn't want to play as ofter as Poof does, so when he requires quiet time, Tache will hide in one of the many closets, or better yet, hide downstairs. I think sometimes Poof only come inside the house to play with Tache. And Tache is definitively repeating last winter's rhythms, of spending more time indoors and requiring more lap time. Poof, finds quiet outdoors (I know of at least two favourite spots) and doesn't much like coming on my lap - just like they say a Maine Coon cat is suppose to do. But he still loves (and purrs quite loudly when he) gets petted or brushed.