Author Topic: Jack and that cabin  (Read 2887 times)

Offline chowhound

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
Jack and that cabin
« on: February 09, 2010, 05:27:40 pm »
Do people here think it is likely that Jack ever discussed with Ennis the cabin they were supposed to build and live in together when helping to run OMT's ranch?  Or is it maybe a "pretend place", to use Lureen's term, - a place where, imaginatively at least, Jack could keep alive his dream of living with Ennis?

The idea of living together only comes up twice and, in a sense, forms a bookend to their long affair. The first time it brought up is by Jack during their initial retreat:

What if you and me had a little ranch together somewhere, little cow-and-calf operation,
     it'd be a sweet life.

The only other time it is mentioned is again by Jack, this time during the Final Confrontation:

Tell you what, we could of had a good life together, a f....in' real good life, had us a place of our own.
     You wouldn't do it Ennis, so what we got now is Brokeback Mountain.

However, in the years that elapse between these two scenes, we never get to hear the subject mentioned again. But was it brought up, I wonder? Did Jack ever mention to Ennis the possibility of living together on his father's ranch? Personally, I can't see Ennis ever agreeing to live with Jack under the watchful scrutiny of OMT. I would have thought, too, that Jack would have realized how unappealing that would have been for Ennis.

So maybe it was a "pretend" place which Jack used to fend of the insistent - and selfish - demands of his father that he abandon his Texas life and come back - along with Ennis - to help him out. One day, Jack seems to be saying to his father, one day, but not today. Nevertheless, even in talking about their cabin, he was keeping his hopes alive.

Even Jack's use of "cabin" rather than "house"or "apartment" when nominally sketching out his plans for his father, suggests that Jack may well have been thinking about the original "cow-and calf" operation rather than somewhere in public view on his father's ranch. For cabin, for me at least, suggests somewhere hidden in the woods, far, far away from those prying eyes Ennis so much fears, where the two of them, as on Brokeback, could once more be together again alone. However, in the world in which we - and they - have to live, such a vision, while possible in the real world, can also gather around itself some of the qualities of a mirage or a dream.

Offline tampatalon

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Never Enuff Time
Re: Jack and that cabin
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2010, 06:43:09 pm »
These are great thoughts and questions. From my view I am sure Jack brought the
cabin subject many times during their 20 yearish relationship. I would think that Jack
would feel they had a relationship and talk about these things but he had to word
it carefully for Ennis who had a different mindset until he lost Jack.

TampaTalon^">
"Lean on me, Let our hearts beat in time, Feel strength from the hands that have held you so long. Who cares where we go on this rutted old road, In a world that may say that we're wrong."--EmmyLou Harris

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2010, 07:32:15 pm »
And my view is just the opposite. I really doubt that Jack ever brought up living together after Ennis shot him down at their reunion.

When Jack brought it up to his father, I think he was just "thinkin' out loud," as he says to Ennis when Ennis shoots down Jack's suggestion that Ennis move to Texas.

I'm sure Jack thought about it a lot over the years, but if he had brought it up repeatedly, I doubt he would have said, "I did once" (emphasis added), when Ennis said to him, "You got any better ideas?"
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2010, 07:46:11 pm »
I think it's right that Jack thought about it a lot. Sometimes thinking about something makes it seem real to that person. May be why he just naturally assumed he'd be welcomed after Ennis sent the divorce letter. In Jack's mind, it was close to reality then. In Ennis's mind, there wasn't a thought of really being being able to live together in their own place.
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2010, 09:34:09 pm »
I agree that Jack must have thought about it a lot. At first, I didn't think Jack ever mentioned it to Ennis beyond the two references, but now after thinking about your comments, I'm wondering if Jack didn't mention it to Ennis every time he saw him!
"chewing gum and duct tape"