Author Topic: Vancouver Winter Olympics - News and Views  (Read 112208 times)

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
Re: Vancouver Winter Olympics - News and Views
« Reply #60 on: February 25, 2010, 06:06:28 am »
*sigh* medal hopes at the mens curling dashed last night.. sweden into the semifinals after beating the UK.
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #61 on: February 25, 2010, 06:29:14 am »
And Canada's in the medal round for both women and men's curling and hockey ... the team sports.

Canada's Games.
2015 - Toronto: Pan Am Games
2015 - Edmonton, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Winnipeg: Woman's World Cup of Soccer

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #62 on: February 25, 2010, 07:39:30 am »
Sheesh!  ::)

Olympian Evgeni Plushenko awards himself 'Platinum' medal?

By Andrea Reiher

February 22, 2010 1:43 PM

There's an interesting opening screen at men's figure skater Evgeni Plushenko's official website.

Apparently, Evgeni Plushenko has awarded himself a Platinum medal.

If you'll recall, Evgeni took the silver medal in men's figure skating on Thursday, Feb. 18. He finished behind Evan Lysacek of the United States and there was a bit of a controversy about who should've won the gold medal.

Plushenko does a quadruple jump. Lysacek does not. However, Lysacek skated a flawless program full of triple jumps, while Plushenko had bobbles here and there throughout his program. Plushenko also front-loads his program, which means he does his most difficult elements at the beginning. Lysacek does some of his more difficult jumps at the end of his program. Under the new scoring system, a skater is awarded more points for doing more difficult elements near the end.

Regardless of who "should have" won, it's still pretty hilarious that either Plushenko or someone in charge of his website decided to forego the Olympic judges and award Plushenko a Platinum medal.

http://blog.zap2it.com/thedishrag/2010/02/olympian-evgeni-plushenko-awards-himself-platinum-medal.html

I thought it was pretty funny. But then I´ve always had a soft spot for Plushenko ever since he put that infamous muscle shirt on

[youtube=425,350]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="
&hl=sv_SE&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
&hl=sv_SE&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #63 on: February 25, 2010, 09:38:49 am »
So I heard on this morning's news that Team Canada beat the Russians at hockey.

Good show!  :D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
« Reply #64 on: February 25, 2010, 11:06:10 am »
Just warming up before meeting up with the red white and blue in the finals.  ;D

Seems the (lowly) Slovaks have 'dethrowned' the reigning Swedes for us last night. Pity.

Now we get to meet up with the Slovaks & you guys (U.S.A.) get the Finns in your semi-finals tomorrow.

In the meantime, this evening, the U.S.A. women get a gold medal workout with from our (Canadian) women.

(BTW, it had been 50 years since the Canadian men had won a game against the Russians/Soviets at the Olympics. But if you'll pardon my boasting, we didn't beat 'em, we trounced 'em.)
2015 - Edmonton, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Winnipeg: Woman's World Cup of Soccer

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
« Reply #65 on: February 25, 2010, 11:23:47 am »
Losing to the U.S.A. was a good thing for the Canadian men's team.

http://www.ctvolympics.ca/hockey/news/newsid=51145.html#canada+thumps+russia+advance+semifinals

For Canada, the pattern of building and improving as a team throughout the tournament is standard practice in the Olympics' NHL era - the only concern usually is if they run out of time. As it turns out, playing an extra game in the qualification round against Germany one night earlier may have done them a world of good. That was the first time they started to get comfortable as a team, following a week of changes and experiments with line combinations, some of which worked, and others that didn't.

This bit I had read before the first match up with the Americans, though this article was published after the fact. That's why I wasn't worried much by the bit of 'bad luck' in the round-robin game.

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #66 on: February 25, 2010, 01:16:24 pm »
I thought it was pretty funny. But then I´ve always had a soft spot for Plushenko ever since he put that infamous muscle shirt on

[youtube=425,350]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="
&hl=sv_SE&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
&hl=sv_SE&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

What a riot!  :laugh:
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
« Reply #67 on: February 25, 2010, 09:40:16 pm »
Pretty decent team results today ...

Both the Canadian men's & women's curling team won their semi-finals and are guaranteed at least a silver (or a gold).

Oh, and the Canadian Women's hockey team defeated the Americans 2-0 to garner the gold medal, for the 3rd consecutive Olympics.

Cool.

Now let's see that the men can do in the freestyle alpine aerials this evening ... and Joannie Rochette is currently standing 3rd going into the long program tonight.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #68 on: February 25, 2010, 10:15:48 pm »
Just warming up before meeting up with the red white and blue in the finals.  ;D

Seems the (lowly) Slovaks have 'dethrowned' the reigning Swedes for us last night. Pity.

Now we get to meet up with the Slovaks & you guys (U.S.A.) get the Finns in your semi-finals tomorrow.

In the meantime, this evening, the U.S.A. women get a gold medal workout with from our (Canadian) women.

(BTW, it had been 50 years since the Canadian men had won a game against the Russians/Soviets at the Olympics. But if you'll pardon my boasting, we didn't beat 'em, we trounced 'em.)

We don't mind Roland. I've enjoyed reading your posts. And I have found myself often rooting for the Canadians during these Olympics. I wish you all much luck in the remaining events. :)

Having said that, I've also been rooting for my ancestral countries of France, The Netherlands and Great Britain. I'm shocked that Britain only has one medal! Well, at least it is a gold one! Still though, they should be doing much better.

And of course I've been cheering for the U.S. ;) ;D

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #69 on: February 26, 2010, 01:05:56 am »
The little 16 year old American skater Nagasu was robbed.  She was far and away the better skater than the bronze medalist. 

But I guess being Canadian and having her mother die four days earlier earned the bronze medalist the sympathy vote.