Author Topic: Brokeback Weather Alert - Snowfall Coming to Higher Mountains  (Read 69758 times)

Offline nakymaton

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • aka Mel
Re: Brokeback Weather Alert - Snowfall Coming to Higher Mountains
« Reply #90 on: December 29, 2006, 06:00:33 pm »
OOooooooooooooooo! Snow stratigraphy!!  8)

*Mel geeks out*

Looks like some good roof avalanches are ready to happen!

Jeff, the first storm mostly came from the southwest rather than from the west, and didn't really pick up steam until it hit the plains and the moisture from the Gulf of Mexico got pulled into it, and then got pulled up the eastern slope of the Front Range, and then.... bam. The ski areas actually weren't hit as hard, as far as I can tell. Well, they were hit hard enough to have powder. ;D

I think the passes were closed around here for the last one. They're always closed when it snows. Even today, when it's above freezing at my house, the passes are probably closed or require chains.

Of course, there are three ski areas on my side of the passes. ;D And the cross-country tracks in the  National Forest are groomed, which is more important to me. ;D

(Plus I think that when they call out the National Guard to help clear Colorado roads, they must let Denver fend for itself or something. I can't believe that some of the city streets weren't plowed yet from the last storm.)
Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #91 on: December 29, 2006, 06:02:30 pm »
Hey everybody, it's heartwarming to know there were Brokies concerned about my welfare as I redlined it on the 14-hour drive from Minneapolis to Denver. :-*

We were lucky -- stayed in Grand Island, Neb., Wednesday night, got an early start Thursday and didn't see a speck of precipitation falling until we got into the Denver metro area -- and even here, at that point, it was still more slush than snow. (We didn't even see any snow on the ground until a couple of hundred miles east of here!)

This morning, my kids urged me to smarten up and head out onto the sliding hill. But I'm not much for that ice-and-snowball crowd. So while my family members frolick outdoors, I'm in the nice warm apartment catching up on all I've missed on the boards for the past few days.

Lee, as always, the pictures of your home and environs are breathtaking!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #92 on: December 29, 2006, 06:04:03 pm »
Welcome to my home, Jeff!! Come right in! I just cleared off the snow this morning! What the...!!

Time for more of those espresso beans, hunh?  ;D

I like the, er, Holiday lights! They look like they're the big-a-- old-fashioned kind, not the weeny mini lights lots of people use today. (Those lights are actually pretty, too, in their own way. I just get nostalgic for the big lights my dad used to put out when I was little.  ::) )
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #93 on: December 29, 2006, 06:11:46 pm »
OOooooooooooooooo! Snow stratigraphy!!  8)

*Mel geeks out*

Looks like some good roof avalanches are ready to happen!

There is a roof under that stratigraphy, just out of view, isn't there?  ;D

Of course, there are three ski areas on my side of the passes. ;D And the cross-country tracks in the  National Forest are groomed, which is more important to me. ;D

I've wanted to try cross-country, ever since I saw somebody doing it down the middle of Pine Street, one block south of my place, during the Blizzard of '96. Always looks like a lot of fun, and, clumsy as I am, I figure I'd be less likely to break something.  :D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #94 on: December 29, 2006, 06:38:31 pm »
Lee, I've never seen so much snow in my life  :o.
I've been to Austria in winter a few times and there was much snow, too. But ain't nothin like that.
I can't imagine how it would be to have such masses of snow, it's truly beyond my imagination. Love your pics, thanks for sharing.

Damn all scientists, who haven't invented beaming yet, Star-Trek like  ;). I would beam myself up to your place just to experience this snow masses (and hopefully for a warm cocoa afterwards, if you wouldn't mind offering one). How cold is it?

We haven't seen a single snowflake yet this winter. It's 5°C (41°F) here at the moment and the weather report says it will be getting warmer the next days: 13°C (55.4°F).

Katherine: Glad you were lucky with the weather conditions and arrived safe and sound. Enjoy your holidays! Will you and Lee meet?

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #95 on: December 29, 2006, 06:47:47 pm »
Lee, I love all the pictures of your house and the snow!  I'm like Chrissi, I sure wish we'd get some snow here in NYC to liven things up.  Oh well, maybe we'll get some after the holidays, when everyone's back from their journeys.

Katherine, I'm glad you're safe and sound!  I passed through Chicago on my way to my brother's for Christmas and thought about hooking up with you, but the timing wasn't right.  Someday I'll drop you a line and you can say if your there.  ;)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #96 on: December 29, 2006, 10:44:06 pm »
Mel, I love you when you geek out!!

And yes, Jeff, those are the old-fashioned lights, which we had to go from place to place to get!!

None of the pics I have posted so far really give you an idea of the actual amount of snow. Let me just say this--when this snow melts, it will be Katrina all over again! Unless it can melt gradually somehow.

On the left in this pic is a tree that I call "The Wings." It was perhaps struck by lightning at some point, and developed a double trunk, which intertwines so gracefully. Every time I see it, it reminds me of "The Wings."
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #97 on: December 29, 2006, 10:47:52 pm »
Just one more!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #98 on: December 29, 2006, 10:58:47 pm »
Okay, I lied.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #99 on: December 29, 2006, 11:40:04 pm »
This is the last one, I promise!! (for today anyway)