Author Topic: Breast Milk Cheese - Would You Try It?  (Read 18894 times)

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Breast Milk Cheese - Would You Try It?
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2010, 03:12:06 pm »
I voted I'm not sure.

I find it a little bit gross, but not totally. And as others have said before, it's illogical to be grossed out by human milk, but having no second thoughts about milk from a cow, goat, sheep, horse, whatever.

I guess for me it would depend mostly on the type of cheese itself. The look, the smell, its consitence. I like cheese in general, but there are plenty kinds I don't like or even wouldn't want to try, no matter where the milk comes from.

I only skimmed through the article posted early in the thread, but I have the feeling that the chef simply made is as a publicity stunt. And/or that he and his wife have not much knowledge about breastfeeding. It's normal that women have too much milk early on. If you don't mess with the process, it regulates itself pretty soon.
The demand regulates the supply. Simple as that. Just don't trick your body by false pretenses.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2010, 03:56:17 pm »
Though the more you use, the more you produce. If it's being consumed (by a baby, by restaurant diners, whatever), the body continues to produce it. That's how wet nurses were able to nurse babies other than their own, or how some mothers nurse their kids well into toddlerhood and beyond.

Once while I was nursing I went out of town overnight on a work assignment. I brought a pump, but since I had no means of keeping the milk refrigerated, I had to dump it out. But I still had to pump it, or else it would start to go away. Gee, why didn't I think to make it into cheese and sell it in a restaurant?!

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2010, 05:03:55 pm »
Though the more you use, the more you produce. If it's being consumed (by a baby, by restaurant diners, whatever), the body continues to produce it. That's how wet nurses were able to nurse babies other than their own, or how some mothers nurse their kids well into toddlerhood and beyond.

Yup. That's exactly what I meant. If you trick your body with the false pretense of a pump, it will continue to produce "too much" milk. It's not too much. It's as much as there is demand. Whether the demand comes from the baby or is artificially created by a pump doesn't matter.
This is not to condemn pumps, BTW. It was meant in reply to the chef's statement that they simply had too much milk and thus he thought about what to do with it. If you have continously too much milk, you're doing it wrong, or on purpose. May it be for donating the milk, or for a publicity stunt. I simply don't believe his innocent statement of "we had too much milk and didn't know what to do with it".

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2010, 05:50:00 pm »
Yup. That's exactly what I meant. If you trick your body with the false pretense of a pump, it will continue to produce "too much" milk. It's not too much. It's as much as there is demand. Whether the demand comes from the baby or is artificially created by a pump doesn't matter.
This is not to condemn pumps, BTW. It was meant in reply to the chef's statement that they simply had too much milk and thus he thought about what to do with it. If you have continously too much milk, you're doing it wrong, or on purpose. May it be for donating the milk, or for a publicity stunt. I simply don't believe his innocent statement of "we had too much milk and didn't know what to do with it".

Oh, I see, right. If she pumped like crazy for a while just to build up some extra for when she's out of town or something, she might get a temporary buildup. But ordinarily, the supply naturally adjusts to meet the demand. It doesn't just pour out on its own, so you have no choice but to serve it in a restaurant!  :laugh:

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2010, 05:57:39 pm »
Glasgow's Children's Hospital has a milk bank... nursing Mum's can donate their own milk to feed needy babies.

I know my friend though about it, she was unable to feed her own baby, as Emma was so premature, but she had the supply coming in..
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2010, 10:08:47 am »
lmao

quite a subject here.

Breast milk cheese.....Mmmmmm I may try it.

I'm reminded of an episode of "Friends".  Ross was watching his infant son, Ben.  Ben's mother has pumped some extra breast milk for Ben while she was way.

After warming the bottle, Phoebe puts some on her wrist to check the temp, and then licks it off, to the horror of the guys in the room.

Her reply?  It's just breast mik!

:laugh:

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!