Author Topic: The Reason This Place Might Not For Me  (Read 14153 times)

Offline two_bloody_shirts

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • First Kisses
Re: The Reason This Place Is Not For Me
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2006, 08:14:11 pm »
Why would you want to be hidden anyway.....I guess I just don't understand what the point of it is....

The "hidden" feature is typically used so that you can read entries without anyone being aware you are on the site.  As David said, he wanted alone time.  Apparently people saw him active on the site and were wondering why he wasn't "active" as in posting.  I think sometimes people also use it when they are surfing from one site to another just reading things and don't want to be bothered by continuous PMs, etc.
Love.  You have a problem with it?

~Grace~

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2006, 08:14:58 pm »
No one wants to keep an eye on you.......I was just confused about why you would want to hide.....I couldn't really care less either way.....

I guess we just think differently....nothing wrong with that.....I respect your decision to do whatever you please.......even if I don't agree....

We'll miss you if you leave.....
« Last Edit: April 03, 2006, 08:16:59 pm by slayers_creek_oth »

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2006, 08:18:09 pm »
Sigh...

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2006, 08:20:29 pm »
No one wants to keep an eye on you.......I was just confused about why you would want to hide.....I could really care less either way.

I don't think he's concerned about people keeping an eye on him, as much as he feels that way if people start reporting him for using it.

I like the option too.  Once we all calmed down, I'd've eventually used it myself if it wasn't going to be taken away.

No real reason, sometimes I just like to lurk and the option gives you the opportunity to do so as a member.

vkm91941

« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2006, 08:22:51 pm »
Can everyone just stand back and take a deep breath please all this drama is not healthy! :'(

Offline YaadPyar

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2006, 08:27:47 pm »

Just because I am confused as hell.....what does this have to do with politics?  If it is Phillips choice to remove the hidden feature then so be it.....who are we to complain to someone who has opened his doors to us when we were in need? 

Gosh Slayer - you look so different in your avatar pic than what I'd imagined...so much more, I don't know - formal.  I guess I imagined you in jeans (who is that anyway?).   ;D

Anyway - this is a new forum for most of us with new features and everyone has to decide what they're comfortable with.  The inquiries about what the "hidden" status were just that as previously stated - inquiries.  They were not personal attacks about anyone here, but remnants of IMDb Troll War PTSS, as Vic said.

I can understand the appeal of 'hidden' but even more so, especially at the moment, the perception that lurking is nefarious.  I have to say that I support Phillip in his choice(s), and am certain that they come only from a place of integrity.

I don't know if ya'll have any idea what a huge increase in the amount of time and attention and resources our presence has created, and totally understand why he wants to simplify wherever possible.  He's getting messages and e-mails and posts non-stop with inquiries and suggestions and ideas for modification...and he's handling it all with amazing grace and the same generosity that he extended last week.

So - I say let's give him and all of us a chance to settle in and see what works and what doesn't, and give him the time to figure it all out without us pressuring him.  We've been here just a few days, and it's gonna take a while, which seems more than fair to me. 
"Vice, Virtue. It's best not to be too moral. You cheat yourself out of too much life. Aim above morality. If you apply that to life, then you're bound to live life fully." (Harold & Maude - 1971)

dmmb_Mandy

« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2006, 08:28:56 pm »
"this feature allowed me to lurk without people hasselling me for still being here (and they actually did, by the way)."

David, people were hasselling you for being here without posting? I've done that and noone has said a word to me. Sometimes I stay logged on and leave this open and browse the net elsewhere and then come back to it. I don't understand why that would be a problem to someone?

I agree, being reported for being 'hidden' doesn't do much help. Like you said, trolls can attack by other means.

To Brandon's comment - I'm not going anywhere. I've unpacked my bags, and I've even put pictures and paintings on the walls; I'm here to stay  :)

I agree that this whole troll situation has made people uneasy, but we have to try and keep in mind that we are fairly safe here (at least safer than we were at IMdB)  as long as the invites are carefully organized. We have to relax a little, take a deep breath like Vic said (btw *big hug, Vic*, no crying!) and stick together.

David hunny, please don't leave. Once people are nice and settled in and comfortable, there will hopefully be a lot less reporting & paranoia.  :-*

vkm91941

« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2006, 08:35:21 pm »
"this feature allowed me to lurk without people hasselling me for still being here (and they actually did, by the way)."

David, people were hasselling you for being here without posting? I've done that and noone has said a word to me. Sometimes I stay logged on and leave this open and browse the net elsewhere and then come back to it. I don't understand why that would be a problem to someone?

I agree, being reported for being 'hidden' doesn't do much help. Like you said, trolls can attack by other means.

To Brandon's comment - I'm not going anywhere. I've unpacked my bags, and I've even put pictures and paintings on the walls; I'm here to stay  :)

I agree that this whole troll situation has made people uneasy, but we have to try and keep in mind that we are fairly safe here (at least safer than we were at IMdB)  as long as the invites are carefully organized. We have to relax a little, take a deep breath like Vic said (btw *big hug, Vic*, no crying!) and stick together.

David hunny, please don't leave. Once people are nice and settled in and comfortable, there will hopefully be a lot less reporting & paranoia.  :-*

At last another voice of reason...Thank You Celeste... Please guys just relax, settle in, visit the neighbors,  post, enjoy... play ABC's and 123 and let's leave Phil alone to do his job which he has done so admirably without our help.

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2006, 08:37:37 pm »

Just because I am confused as hell.....what does this have to do with politics?  If it is Phillips choice to remove the hidden feature then so be it.....who are we to complain to someone who has opened his doors to us when we were in need? 

Gosh Slayer - you look so different in your avatar pic than what I'd imagined...so much more, I don't know - formal.  I guess I imagined you in jeans (who is that anyway?).   ;D

ROFLMFAO!  I'm gettin that a lot today.....its Mandy Moore..... :) ;) ;D

Offline montferrat

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • "hunh?!"
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2006, 08:41:59 pm »
No one REPORTED anyone.  From what I hear, a few people inquired what the "hidden" meant and posted pros or cons about it. Phillip decided to try disabling it. Phillip may change his mind about it. But I don't think any of us should threaten to leave here if Phillip does or doesn't do something.

That smacks of giving an ultimatum . IMHO that is particularly unconstructive.

Personally I have no opinion whatsoever about being hidden or not. Just doesn't matter to me at all.

"hunh?!" ~ Ennis Del Mar