Author Topic: A Single Man and Brokeback Mountain  (Read 3495 times)

Offline chowhound

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
A Single Man and Brokeback Mountain
« on: April 18, 2010, 03:23:56 pm »
There are a couple of curious connections between Brokeback Mountain and the recently released movie with Colin Firth A Single Man, though I'm not suggesting any direct influence. One of these connections is that their chronologies overlap.

In A Single Man Jim, George's partner of sixteen years, has been killed in a car accident some time in 1962. Jack and Ennis first meet in 1963 and their affair will last for almost twenty years until Jack is killed, either in an accident or by a tire iron, leaving Ennis, like George, alone.

George and his partner Jim, unlike Jack and Ennis, have set up house together. This domestic arrangement started sometime in the fifties. Yet, although it is the nominally straight-laced fifties, their domestic arrangement draws very few adverse comments from their neighbours - indeed, the neighbours appear cordial and friendly. George, of course, is a professional - he's a college professor - and the two of them have made their home in the suburbs of Los Angeles which was no doubt decidedly more liberal than other parts of the country.

Their counterpart in Brokeback Mountain is not so much Jack and Ennis but Earl and Rich. Like George and Jim, it looks as though Earl and Rich have lived together for a long while, were known by their neighbours as a gay couple and, as such, could be the butt of sly jokes but nothing more. So what happened? What suddenly unleashed that murderous rage against them? Anyway, here is how the situation is described in the short story which the screenplay follows very closely:

There were these two old guys ranched together down home, Earl and Rich -Dad would pass a remark when he seen them. They was a joke even though they was pretty tough old birds. I was what, nine years old and they found Earl dead in a irrigation ditch. They'd took a tire iron to him, spurred him up, drug him around by his dick until it pulled off, just bloody pulp. What the tire iron done looked like pieces a burned tomatoes all over him, nose tore down from skiddin on gravel.

So what happened? What changed more or less amused tolerance into murderous rage? Are we supposed to imagine that Earl and Rich did something - though it's hard to imagine anything they could have done or said that would have provoked such violence against one of them at least. Or are we to see Ear'ls murder as an indication that, no matter how placid society's surface may seem, as far as gays at least are concerned, murderous hate can at any time and unprovoked, just explode?

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: A Single Man and Brokeback Mountain
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2010, 04:19:56 pm »
The setting and circumstances of the two couples were so different that it didn't occur to me till you pointed it out that they take place almost the same year! Thanks for that insight. I myself noticed a few similarities between the two films, which I posted about in the Reviving the Movies thread. I'll move them over to here. Thanks for bringing this interesting topic up, chowhound!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2010, 04:30:40 pm »
Re: "A Single Man" : Spoilers and Similarities to BBM - Front-Ranger
Am I batty or were there quite a lot of similarities to our favorite film in this one? Kenny and George baptized their friendship by jumping in the water together naked, Kenny tenderly dressed George's head wound (even on the same side!), George and Charley had a spat after dinner(altho at New Years, not Thanksgiving), Jim and George met outside a door, George mourned alone (in a glass house, not a trailer) after Jim died, Jim died looking up, etc etc. There was even a dog or two! Okay, I'm batty.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2011, 05:13:53 pm »
I'm thinking about getting this DVD so I can compare the two movies side by side! Does anyone have it?

Offline Shuggy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • 1964 - 2006
    • The Ataahua Shop
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2011, 09:08:52 pm »
I'm thinking about getting this DVD so I can compare the two movies side by side! Does anyone have it?
It's excellent, touching and worth seeing more than once.  Both deal with a man coping with the death of his partner of long standing, a relationship not acknowledged/rejected by his family and society. So the big difference between them is urban vs rural, and the degree of self-acceptance and understanding involved.