Author Topic: US/Canadian Health Advisory: Do Not Use "Spring Mix" Salad Products  (Read 14605 times)

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Mayor - BetterMost, Wyoming
  • Town Administration
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
    • BetterMost
FDA Statement on Foodborne E. coli O157:H7 Outbreak in Spinach
Update: Sunday, September 17, 2006

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) will continue to provide the public with regular updates on the E. coli O157:H7 outbreak each day until further notice.

Case Reports

To date, 109 cases of illness due to E. coli infection have been reported to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), including 16 cases of Hemolytic Uremic Syndrome (HUS) and one death. Illnesses continue to be reported to CDC. This is considered to be an ongoing investigation.

Symptoms of E. coli O157:H7 Illness

E. coli O157:H7 causes diarrhea, often with bloody stools. Although most healthy adults can recover completely within a week, some people can develop a form of kidney failure called HUS. HUS is most likely to occur in young children and the elderly. The condition can lead to serious kidney damage and even death.

States Affected

There are 19 confirmed states: California, Connecticut, Idaho, Indiana, Kentucky, Maine, Michigan, Minnesota, Nevada, New Mexico, New York, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Utah, Virginia, Washington, Wisconsin, and Wyoming.

Consumer Advice

FDA advises consumers to not eat fresh spinach or fresh spinach-containing products until further notice.
If individuals believe they may have experienced symptoms of illness after consuming fresh spinach or fresh spinach-containing products, FDA recommends that they seek medical advice.

Two (2) Recalls

FDA has been informed that River Ranch, of California, is recalling packages of spring mix containing spinach. River Ranch obtained bulk spring mix containing spinach from Natural Selections. The following brands are involved:  Farmers Market, Hy Vee, Fresh and Easy. Products that do not contain spinach are not part of this recall.

Natural Selection Foods, LLC, of San Juan Bautista, California, is recalling all of its products containing spinach in all brands they pack with "Best if Used by Dates" of August 17, 2006 through October 1, 2006. These products include spinach and any salad with spinach in a blend, both retail and food service products. Products that do not contain spinach are not part of this recall.

Natural Selection Foods, LLC brands include: Natural Selection Foods, Pride of San Juan, Earthbound Farm, Bellissima, Dole, Rave Spinach, Emeril, Sysco, O Organic, Fresh Point, River Ranch, Superior, Nature's Basket, Pro-Mark, Compliments, Trader Joe's, Ready Pac, Jansal Valley, Cheney Brothers, Coastline, D'Arrigo Brothers, Green Harvest, Mann, Mills Family Farm, Premium Fresh, Snoboy, The Farmer's Market, Tanimura & Antle, President's Choice, Cross Valley, and Riverside Farms.

The affected products were also distributed to Canada and Mexico. FDA continues to investigate whether other companies and brands are involved.

Lettuce Safety Initiative

The FDA developed the Lettuce Safety Initiative http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~dms/lettsafe.html in response to recurring outbreaks of E.coli O157:H7 in lettuce. As a result of this outbreak, the initiative has been expanded to cover spinach. The primary goals of the initiative are to reduce public health risks by focusing on the product, agents and areas of greatest concern and to alert consumers early and respond rapidly in the event of an outbreak. This initiative is based on the 2004 Produce Safety Action Plan, intended to minimize the incidence of food borne illness associated with the consumption of fresh produce.

FDA continues to work closely with the CDC and state and local agencies to determine the cause and scope of the E.coli outbreak in spinach. Please check www.fda.gov for updates.

You're a part of our family - BetterMost, Wyoming

Marge_Innavera

Re: US/Canadian Health Advisory: Do Not Use "Spring Mix" Salad Products
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2006, 11:17:53 am »
Thank you for this update. Hy-Vee is the supermarket I shop in most often.

Guess I'll have to content myself with Wendy's $1.00 Caesar Salads for now, how ironic!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2006, 11:35:25 am »
I know this is a serious issue, I really do, but I can't resist: "Only thing, don't never order spinach."
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Mayor - BetterMost, Wyoming
  • Town Administration
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
    • BetterMost
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2006, 12:25:44 pm »
If you can't fix it, you gotta stand it.

If we don't stop the spinach there, it will follow us home and attack us here.

Popeye's Revenge

War of the Greens

Terror in the Aisles
You're a part of our family - BetterMost, Wyoming

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2006, 12:33:42 pm »
"Them bags a spinach are hard to pack."
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2006, 12:36:50 pm »
I eat spinach a lot. I have this weird lunch: I saute bagged spinach (or arugula) with garlic and olive oil and top it with two eggs. I eat that three to five days a week. It might sound strange, but it's actually really good -- kind of like eggs Florentine without the English muffin or hollandaise sauce -- it's pretty nutritious and only takes a few minutes to make. If I have to stop fixing it, I won't be able to stand it!

Anyway, I usually use Earthbound Farms spinach (or arugula). But then, I sautee it. Does anyone know how much heat is required to kill the E. coli?

Offline nakymaton

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • aka Mel
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2006, 01:01:38 pm »
Here's a link to the CDC's e. coli information page:
http://www.cdc.gov/NCIDOD/DBMD/diseaseinfo/escherichiacoli_g.htm

My son had that strain of e. coli two years ago. Miserable, miserable stuff, though fortunately he didn't get any of the complications. But it just won't go away. For some reason, you can't use antibiotics, so you just have to wait for all the bad e. coli to leave the system. And that takes FOREVER. Eating lots of yogurt (and adding acidophilus bacteria to everything else) helped clear it out, eventually.

And if a kid in diapers gets it: Boudreaux's Butt Paste. I know it's a running joke on the Performance Thread, but I was about ready to buy stock in the company. The stuff absolutely rules.
Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2006, 01:31:44 pm »
Does anyone know how much heat is required to kill the E. coli?

Probably enough to make the spinach itself inedible.

Anyway, "Well, I don't eat spinach."  ;D

(I don't. My mother didn't like it--too bitter, I think--so she didn't serve it, so I didn't have to grow up eating it.)

Offline nakymaton

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • aka Mel
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2006, 02:25:34 pm »
Anyway, "Well, I don't eat spinach."

But would you order it for a really cute cowboy who was sick of beans?

(Katherine, they say to cook hamburger to at least 180 F to kill E. coli, so I would guess the same temperature would kill it on spinach, too. I don't know how hot stuff gets during sauteeing, but if you would eat meat cooked the same way - like browning the meat?, you're probably ok.)
Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2006, 02:31:57 pm »
But would you order it for a really cute cowboy who was sick of beans?

Naw, for him I'd order soup.  ;)

I might order spinach for a sour-tempered foreman by the name of Aguirre. ...   ;D