Author Topic: Who, What, When and Where  (Read 2207 times)

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
Who, What, When and Where
« on: September 18, 2006, 05:29:37 pm »
So it occured to me the otherday, reading that Annie Proulx's house was for sale, reading about the bar in Sheridan, Wyoming that has been id'd as the place the story generated, hearing at her lecture that she wrote it at "an old Wells Fargo desk" I got to wondering: Where did she write this story? I kind of don't think it was at the house she is now selling, but wherever it was needs to be acknowledge as a historic site, like where Twain wrote Huckleberry Finn. The desk, that would be an important thing too.

Anyone got any leads on this, or anything else that needs to be indentified, like that old cowboy, etc?
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: Who, What, When and Where
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2006, 07:01:17 pm »
We need to put up a historical marker at the Laramie cement plant. Annie writes in "Getting Movied":

The scene for the kiss when Jack and Ennis reunite after four years occurred to me in its entirety as I drove past the Laramie cement plant--so much for scenery.

;D

She also writes that a curve on Owl Canyon Road in Colorado "became the curve that killed Ennis's parents."
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
Re: Who, What, When and Where
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2006, 02:59:32 pm »
I spoke with her agent yesterday, he said he thought this is where she was living when she wrote BBM, but would have to ask her to be sure, he said she had lived there about 10 years.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."