Author Topic: BetterMost member LoneLeeB3 has passed away. Our grieving thread.  (Read 263327 times)

Offline milomorris

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • No crybabies
Re: BetterMost member LoneLeeB3 passes away.
« Reply #500 on: August 04, 2010, 12:53:00 pm »
Speaking of crossing over water images, since Lynne reminded me that Rich was a Believer, I've had running through my mind a line from a hymn that I intend to have sung at my own funeral:

Yeah...David and I are going to be having that conversation (again) this weekend.
  The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #501 on: August 04, 2010, 01:26:01 pm »
Truman mentioned this before - either here or elsewhere - but I want to make sure that everyone knows.

If you have a story or memory about Rich (funny, poignant, memories of a meet, etc...) do please write them up and PM them to Truman before Saturday morning so that they can be read at the Memorial Service Saturday afternoon.

Thank you very much!

Added by Chrissi/Penthesilea:

The memorial service will be held on Saturday, 08/07/10 at 3 PM EST.
I repeat the exact time and date here, so if you are inclined and have the possibility, set aside the time and retreat from your daily life for a while, to be with Rich, his family and Brokie friends in spirit.

« Last Edit: August 04, 2010, 02:56:43 pm by Penthesilea »
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #502 on: August 04, 2010, 01:29:36 pm »
I meant to post this a couple of days ago.  Shasta and Jeff agree that this is probably the hymn Rich was referring to in his short story about Ennis.  I didn't know the hymn til I looked it up on YouTube.  I've listened to it enough now that it's been running through my head.  It really is a good song for putting one foot in front of the other, which I've been needing help with.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IqR154JA2s[/youtube]

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #503 on: August 04, 2010, 01:31:17 pm »
What hymn is that from, Jeff?

It's from the third and final stanza of Guide Me, O Thou Great Jehovah, as it appears in the current Episcopal hymnal.

It was originally written in Welsh, in the 18th century. Katharine Hepburn sings it in an early scene of The African Queen.  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #504 on: August 04, 2010, 01:33:01 pm »
It's from the third and final stanza of Guide Me, O Thou Great Jehovah, as it appears in the current Episcopal hymnal.

It was originally written in Welsh, in the 18th century. Katharine Hepburn sings it in an early scene of The African Queen.  ;D

Thank you, Jeff.  I will have to look it up; it's not one with which I am familiar, growing up Methodist and all.   ;)

I got my hymns this week from Latter Days.   :)
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #505 on: August 04, 2010, 01:38:42 pm »
Thank you, Jeff.  I will have to look it up; it's not one with which I am familiar, growing up Methodist and all.   ;)

I got my hymns this week from Latter Days.   :)

I will be very surprised if it wasn't, or isn't, in the Methodist hymnal. Methodism grew very strong in Wales. I knew the hymn growing up Lutheran. Then in the 1970s the Lutherans decided they needed to modernize the language of their hymns. No more thees and thous. Guide Me, O Thou Great Jehovah ended up as Guide Me Ever, Great Redeemer.  :-\

And Hepburn plays a Methodist missionary in The African Queen.  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline milomorris

• No crybabies
« Reply #506 on: August 04, 2010, 01:48:24 pm »
I will be very surprised if it wasn't, or isn't, in the Methodist hymnal. Methodism grew very strong in Wales. I knew the hymn growing up Lutheran. Then in the 1970s the Lutherans decided they needed to modernize the language of their hymns. No more thees and thous. Guide Me, O Thou Great Jehovah ended up as Guide Me Ever, Great Redeemer.  :-\

And Hepburn plays a Methodist missionary in The African Queen.  ;D

I haven't played/sung in a Methodist church in a while, but it was in their hymnal last time I did...with the "thees & thous" intact.

Here in America at least, there is a great deal of cross-over hymnody among the protestant sects. Many of the "mainstream" denominations even include some of the more evangelical hymns. And of course everybody includes some negro spirituals and gospel tunes nowadays.
  The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #507 on: August 04, 2010, 02:07:57 pm »
I wonder whether Rich knew this one? This is another old Evangelical tune, with a "crossing water" image in its final stanza.

"He Leadeth Me, O Blessed Thought!"
Words: Joseph H. Gilmore
Music: William B. Bradbury

He leadeth me, O blessèd thought!
O words with heav’nly comfort fraught!
Whate’er I do, where’er I be
Still ’tis God’s hand that leadeth me.

Refrain

He leadeth me, He leadeth me,
By His own hand He leadeth me;
His faithful follower I would be,
For by His hand He leadeth me.

Sometimes mid scenes of deepest gloom,
Sometimes where Eden’s bowers bloom,
By waters still, over troubled sea,
Still ’tis His hand that leadeth me.

Refrain

Lord, I would place my hand in Thine,
Nor ever murmur nor repine;
Content, whatever lot I see,
Since ’tis my God that leadeth me.

Refrain

And when my task on earth is done,
When by Thy grace the vict’ry’s won,
E’en death’s cold wave I will not flee,
Since God through Jordan leadeth me.

Refrain

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #508 on: August 04, 2010, 02:15:43 pm »
I haven't played/sung in a Methodist church in a while, but it was in their hymnal last time I did...with the "thees & thous" intact.

Here in America at least, there is a great deal of cross-over hymnody among the protestant sects. Many of the "mainstream" denominations even include some of the more evangelical hymns. And of course everybody includes some negro spirituals and gospel tunes nowadays.

The hymnal the Quaker Meeting I've been attending also includes some peace and love songs from the 60's and 70's such as John Lennon's Imagine.  And yes, there are plenty of Negro spirituals and gospel hymns there too, although many have been rewritten slightly to be less paternalistic.

Another example is that they've re-written the words to The Battle Hymn of the Republic to celebrate a famous Quaker, Lucretia Mott.

Here's a link if anyone is interested; I can't post from youtube at work, so I'll fix it later tonight.

http://www.google.com/search?q=lucretia+mott+song&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

or here are the lyrics:

On the island of Nantucket she was born beside the sea
All her long life she fought bravely to make slaves and women free
And she told us that where God dwells there must be true liberty
And her light still shines for me

Chorus:
Thank thee kindly, Friend Lucretia (3x)
For thy light still shines for me

In the town of Philadelphia she hid the fleeing slaves
For the freedom of her sisters she dared cross the ocean waves
And she asked Ulysses Grant to grant a pardon for the braves...

"Let's bring an end to poverty" the gentle Quaker pled
"Let's give the workers all a chance to earn their daily bread
Let the nations live in peace again just as our Lord has said"...

Throughout the busy cities and across the countryside
She preached one simple message, "Oh, let Truth be e'er thy guide
Mind the light within thee and let love with thee abide"...

One thing I've noticed is that Ronny and I don't know many of the same hymns; he grew up Roman Catholic.
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #509 on: August 04, 2010, 03:22:01 pm »
Since I'm six or more hours ahead from most of you, this day is slowly coming to an end for me, and I want to add something for those who take this difficult journey tomorrow. I've already said it in some of your blogs, but not everyone has a blog here, so bear with me when it's a repeat for you.

I wish all of you strength. I hope you will be able to bring a small amount of comfort to Rich's loved ones. I hope you will be able to support one another and draw comfort from one another.
Thank you for going.

(((all Brokies)))