Author Topic: AP: Novelist Anne Rice says she's leaving Christianity  (Read 25829 times)

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
Re: AP: Novelist Anne Rice says she's leaving Christianity
« Reply #50 on: August 12, 2010, 11:56:04 am »
She seems to be a pretty cool woman.

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #51 on: August 12, 2010, 12:06:25 pm »
Wow, those are some pretty powerful comments.

I like this one, "Become a Quaker! Woot woot!  All the following of Jesus without the American culture aftertaste."

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #52 on: August 12, 2010, 12:12:11 pm »
Not name-calling at all (examples of name-calling: "dinosaur media," "Rachel Madcow"). Nor inappropriate. Partisan, sure.

By "valid" I mean that he has every right to hold and express this opinion. Again, as a columnist, he is paid to do that sort of thing.

I don't disagree at all that Pitts is using Rice's declarations as an opportunity to make a partisan point. What I disagree with is your assertion that this is inappropriate or lacking in "integrity."

gee, Keith Olbermann stated some months ago that he wore the moniker of "Dinosaur" with pride.

Madcow? Oh, that must just be a slip of the keyboard - look you will see that the "c" and the "d" are right next to each other.  :)

We agree, Pitts had the "right" to state his opinion. We don't agree that is was appropriate within the context.

See above, as Reagan said to Gorby - "We will just have to agree to disagree"  :)

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #53 on: August 12, 2010, 12:13:32 pm »

I like this one, "Become a Quaker! Woot woot!  All the following of Jesus without the American culture aftertaste."
is there something "distasteful" about American culture? (what is American culture, by the way?)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #54 on: August 12, 2010, 12:33:34 pm »
gee, Keith Olbermann stated some months ago that he wore the moniker of "Dinosaur" with pride.

Good for him, but it's not whether people are bothered by it or not, it's that you always seem to feel the need to say it.

We agree, Pitts had the "right" to state his opinion. We don't agree that is was appropriate within the context.

And, like Pitts, you have a right (no quotation marks) to state your opinion about this.  :)

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #55 on: August 12, 2010, 12:50:55 pm »
Good for him, but it's not whether people are bothered by it or not, it's that you always seem to feel the need to say it.
And, like Pitts, you have a right (no quotation marks) to state your opinion about this.  :)
I can't think of any reason not to call the MSM the "Dinosaur Media" - their declining audience base and readership alone point towards their continued shrinkage if not extinction. And then the snarky condescending attitudes that they have towards the America that they don't much care for, the so called "flyover country" - alienating potential audiences is not the "smartest" marketing strategy. I believe I saw a stat yesterday that FoxNews audience share is now 4 times that of CNN. Furthermore, the term "MSM" implies that they are "mainstream" when they are anything but mainstream, so I and others have searched for a term with which to label them. I think that it was either Laura Ingraham or Anne Coulter who first used the term, and it stuck because it fits. 

I would prefer to have a balanced non partisan media, but those days are long gone. Someone will write a history of this one day, but I think that we can thank the original Big 3 TV broadcasters, CNN, The New York Times and the Washington Post for first putting us on the path to our current era of partisan media.

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #56 on: August 12, 2010, 01:11:57 pm »
I can't think of any reason not to call the MSM the "Dinosaur Media" - their declining audience base and readership alone point towards their continued shrinkage if not extinction. And then the snarky condescending attitudes that they have towards the America that they don't much care for, the so called "flyover country" - alienating potential audiences is not the "smartest" marketing strategy. I believe I saw a stat yesterday that FoxNews audience share is now 4 times that of CNN. Furthermore, the term "MSM" implies that they are "mainstream" when they are anything but mainstream, so I and others have searched for a term with which to label them. I think that it was either Laura Ingraham or Anne Coulter who first used the term, and it stuck because it fits. 

I would prefer to have a balanced non partisan media, but those days are long gone. Someone will write a history of this one day, but I think that we can thank the original Big 3 TV broadcasters, CNN, The New York Times and the Washington Post for first putting us on the path to our current era of partisan media.

there's a great explanation as to why Fox has a solid audience - they are the go-to channel for the extreme right.  It's not like there are any others to go to.  Whereas for the rest of the political spectrum, they get a choice of the entire non-cable news world, MSNBC, CNN, etc.  But for real right-wing mouth-froth there's only one source for "news" - and that's FOX.  It is also quite telling that less than 1% of Fox's audience is black.  They've locked up and locked in the white supremacist market!
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #57 on: August 12, 2010, 01:13:28 pm »

The only times I have ever heard anyone use the term "flyover country" is right-wing Republicans accusing liberals of using the term.  I've never heard a single liberal (and I read DailyKos every day - and those people are NOT SHY) ever use the term.

Case in point:

http://www.flyovercountryblog.com/

Fly Over Country Blog - with links to the RNC - apparently the Right has appropriated this as a pet term that they claim everyone else uses to describe rural Red states.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #58 on: August 12, 2010, 01:39:49 pm »
there's a great explanation as to why Fox has a solid audience - they are the go-to channel for the extreme right.  It's not like there are any others to go to.  Whereas for the rest of the political spectrum, they get a choice of the entire non-cable news world, MSNBC, CNN, etc.  But for real right-wing mouth-froth there's only one source for "news" - and that's FOX.  It is also quite telling that less than 1% of Fox's audience is black.  They've locked up and locked in the white supremacist market!
wow, talk about a cornucopia of name calling!  :laugh:

and just for clarification - the "extreme right", which would put them somewhere to the right of moi, don't have any interest in FoxNews - they stick to a select few web sites.

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #59 on: August 12, 2010, 01:45:06 pm »
I did above, but here it is again.

"The word "Republican" does not appear in the book(Gospels?).
Not once.
Yet somehow in the last 30 years, people of
faith were hustled and hoodwinked into
regarding the GOP platform as a lost gospel.
Somehow, low taxes for the wealthy and
deregulation of industry became the very
message of Christ. Somehow, hostility to
science, gays, Muslims and immigrants
became the very meaning of faith. And
somehow Christianity became -- or at least,
came to seem -- a wholly owned subsidiary
of the Republican Party.
Consider that, after the election of 2004, a
church in North Carolina made news for
kicking out nine congregants because they
committed the un-Christian act of ... voting
for Democrat John Kerry.
Who can blame people for saying, "If that's
faith, count me out?" Has atheism
ever had a better salesman than Jerry Falwell, who
blamed the Sept. 11 attacks on the ACLU --
or Pat Robertson, who laid Haiti's earthquake
off on an ancient curse?
a shriveled faith that marginalizes and
demeans?"

This oddly-formatted post was in response to the post quoted below; "his" referring to Mr. Pitts::

How about naming some of his specific statements that you'd object to? 

For people who'd rather go straight to the source, here's a source for Mr. Pitts' columns: 
http://www.leonardpittsjr.com/recent_columns.html

and

http://www.leonardpittsjr.com/everything-else.html

If anyone can figure out how this is a reply, please let the Watermelon Lady know.   ::)