Author Topic: Rooney Mara cast as Lisbeth Salander  (Read 11815 times)

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Rooney Mara cast as Lisbeth Salander
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2010, 02:10:25 pm »

This thread is making me nostalgic for the old "Kate, Kate, Kate!" thread: http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,22491.0.html
 :)

Yeah, the Mara and the Rooney families are something like football "royalty"... it adds an interesting twist of irony to the "boys should watch football" Thanksgiving argument.
 ;D

This is the info about Kate's place in the family, "She is the great-granddaughter of the founder of the New York Giants, Timothy Mara and Art Rooney, founder of the Pittsburgh Steelers. She often sings the national anthem at Giants home games."

Here's more--

:)

http://www.thedailybeast.com/blogs-and-stories/2010-08-26/with-the-dragon-tattoo-star-rooney-mara-dynasty/full/

The Dragon Tattoo Dynasty
by Rebecca Dana

Rooney Mara, who just got the plum role as the star of the new Stieg Larsson movie franchise, is hardly an unknown actress. Rebecca Dana reports on the super-rich New York family she comes from.

It was the Cinderella story of the summer: A little-known actress with a thin résumé and big dreams was chosen over thousands of other hopefuls, including Oscar nominees and mega-watt starlets, to play Lisbeth Salander in The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo,  the most coveted role in Hollywood.

Who was this mysterious ingénue and how did she capture director David Fincher’s eye? What was her name again? Rooney… something?

Given that the readers of Variety are, by and large, a distinct group from the viewers of ESPN, the breadth of Mara-family accomplishments tends to go unnoticed.

Rooney Mara—the 24-year-old future Julia Roberts, if ecstatic press accounts are to be believed—may have been a virtual no-name in Los Angeles until news of her casting broke August 16. But the shy young actress, who had managed to land a few small indie parts since moving west just three years ago, was hardly plucked from obscurity.

Rooney is among the youngest of the Fabulous Maras, a sprawling, close-knit family that has become one of America’s greatest dynasties. And even if she manages to capture the “public fancy” and become as big a star as many predict, she still won’t be as famous to a large slice of the American public as, say, her great-grandfather.

That man, Tim Mara, was the founder of the New York Giants. Rooney’s grandfather, Wellington Mara, was a beloved steward of the team and a sports legend, who in his lifetime almost single-handedly guaranteed the success of the National Football League. After Wellington died, the team was passed down to his son John, Rooney’s uncle and one of 11 children. Rooney’s father Chris, another of the 11, is the team’s vice president of player evaluation. And her mother Kathleen is the granddaughter of Art Rooney Sr., the founder of the Pittsburgh Steelers. (She was originally “Patricia,” but took “Rooney” as a stage name.)

Given that the readers of Variety are, by and large, a distinct group from the viewers of ESPN, the breadth of Mara-family accomplishments tends to go unnoticed. In the entertainment world, Rooney was best known as the younger sister of Kate, who played Heath Ledger’s daughter in Brokeback Mountain.  In the sports world, she is a “pigskin princess,” who loves Eli Manning and enjoys the chicken fingers at Giants Stadium.

In both worlds, up until very recently, little has been written about the youngest Maras because the family has always avoided press.

“I think it’s a little overwhelming for them,” said Steve Tisch, the Oscar-winning Hollywood producer and the chairman and executive vice president of the Giants, a team his family co-owns with the Maras. “They’re soft-spoken, they’re conservative, they’re extremely not interested in being in the spotlight at all. That was Wellington’s great quality. He was such a behind-the-scenes guy. He wanted people to talk about the team, not its ownership.”

“The Maras aren't the kind of people who toot their own horn,” said Giants spokesman Pat Hanlon. They declined to be interviewed for this story.

Tisch, whose films include Risky Business, Forrest Gump,  and American History X,  said he offered his services to the Mara women—first Kate, then Rooney—when each decided she was going to leave the East Coast and try her fortunes in Hollywood. Like her sister, who has sung the National Anthem at Giants games, Rooney began getting work almost as soon as she arrived. She landed bit parts on TV shows, including the short-lived Women’s Murder Club  and E.R. Her big break came in 2009, when Tatiana von Furstenberg cast her as the lead in her film Tanner Hall,  where she played alongside Amy Sedaris and Tom Everett Scott.

“From the second she walked in to the audition, Rooney was so different from all the other actors because she was very quiet, very reserved,” von Furstenberg said. “Really still waters run very deep with her. You keep wanting more from her. She’s curious, she’s so composed, responsive, but it’s very, very subtle and profound.” She described Rooney’s acting style as being “like a little girl playing make-believe. It’s not performing—it’s true commitment, true belief.”

Von Furstenberg remembered watching Rooney on the monitor during filming and picking up a “Grace Kelly quality” in her.

“She also has incredible bone structure,” she said.

Less known for their bone structure are the football Maras, although by many accounts, Rooney has a lot in common with the dominant element of her family—her grandfather Wellington in particular. He was big-hearted and private, and was known to treat his staff and associates like relatives, once buying a reporter a television set and telling him he was “part of the family,” according to sportswriter William Bendetson , co-author of When the Cheering Stops,  a forthcoming history of the Giants. The younger Mara has channeled her warmth into charity work, founding Faces of Kibera to help orphans in one of Africa’s largest slums.

The Maras haven’t always been a perfectly harmonious family—it was a rift between John and Wellington that led the elder to sell half the Giants to the Tisches—but they have always been close.

“In any family, it’s never perfect, it’s never smooth,” Bendetson said, “and that’s the case with the Maras. But what sets them apart, like the Rooneys—they’re still in the game all these years later. They’ve just passed the team from one generation to the next, and it’s been able to stay in the family.”

America’s great football dynasty is now poised to become one of Hollywood’s great acting dynasties. Tisch said he isn’t at all surprised. He plans to celebrate the latest good fortune, along with the rest of the extended Mara clan, at the Giants home opener on September 12.

Rebecca Dana is a senior correspondent for The Daily Beast. A former editor and reporter for The Wall Street Journal, she has also written for The New York Times, The New York Observer, Rolling Stone and Slate, among other publications.
"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2010, 02:22:54 pm »

Thanks for that John! :)

Yeah, here in Pittsburgh you hear about the Rooneys endlessly.

This is reminding me that I still need to go back to the Kate, Kate, Kate thread and restore/ fix a lof of those images.  Perhaps a project for the weekend.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2010, 05:21:39 pm »
Wow, I wonder if Kate needed to take diction lessons to go from the penthouses of NY to the windswept prairie of Wyoming!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
    • My Design Portfolio
Saw Girl with Dragon Tattoo... eeeek.
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2010, 12:30:53 pm »
Man, has anyone seen Girl with the Dragon Tattoo?  OMG... :P  Heard it was critically acclaimed, so rented it without knowing much.  

Damn.  A good film and all, but full of such awful graphic rape and sad sexual abuse that I'm still recovering this morning.  I'm glad in a way that there is art out there that brings home the full impact of such awful deeds.  But blechhh... As Brokies I imagine we're all pretty sensitive to what we see on screen and are less likely to just detach afterwards.  Did anybody else get shaken to the core?  

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
Re: Saw Girl with Dragon Tattoo... eeeek.
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2010, 12:38:15 pm »
Man, has anyone seen Girl with the Dragon Tattoo?  OMG... :P  Heard it was critically acclaimed, so rented it without knowing much.  

Damn.  A good film and all, but full of such awful graphic rape and sad sexual abuse that I'm still recovering this morning.  I'm glad in a way that there is art out there that brings home the full impact of such awful deeds.  But blechhh... As Brokies I imagine we're all pretty sensitive to what we see on screen and are less likely to just detach afterwards.  Did anybody else get shaken to the core?  

I'm still reading the books; am on the last one now. I want to have all three books read before I start the movies.
I can imagine that it's pretty awful to watch.

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2010, 01:28:27 pm »
Man, has anyone seen Girl with the Dragon Tattoo?  OMG... :P  Heard it was critically acclaimed, so rented it without knowing much. 

Damn.  A good film and all, but full of such awful graphic rape and sad sexual abuse that I'm still recovering this morning.  I'm glad in a way that there is art out there that brings home the full impact of such awful deeds.  But blechhh... As Brokies I imagine we're all pretty sensitive to what we see on screen and are less likely to just detach afterwards.  Did anybody else get shaken to the core? 

I just finished the first book last night.  Good read!  And Lisbeth Salander is a fabulous creation.  However, given that sexual violence has a good deal to do with the mystery and with Lisbeth's story, I'm not surprised it's featured in the movie.  :-\

I'm curious to see the Swedish movie and even more curious to see the U.S. effort and compare them.
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2011, 11:10:47 pm »
Okay, I've reached page 35 of the book, and no girl, tattooed or otherwise, has appeared yet. Maybe I'm ADD, but I need something to happen or I'm going to run out of patience!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2011, 11:35:02 pm »
Okay, I've reached page 35 of the book, and no girl, tattooed or otherwise, has appeared yet. Maybe I'm ADD, but I need something to happen or I'm going to run out of patience!

Patience, Lee.  Lisbeth is a character worth waiting for.  :)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Marina

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2011, 11:56:12 pm »
Yes, she is.   I totally love this character - she's flawed, but she's so strong as well - there's just something about her.   I can so empathize with her; it must be those eyes of hers, and Noomi Rapace's great portrayal of her.   And her dramatic way of expressing herself through her dress.  The character has had such difficult experiences in life; but she has so much resilience and strength in her, even if she is detached and withdrawn from others because of it.   It does all stay with you, as does how she deals with it.  I haven't yet read the books, I have one of them.  I usually try to do that before seeing a film, but I didn't in this case.  I've seen The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo and The Girl Who Played with Fire - both are good but I think I prefer the first one.   Looking forward to the American versions too - it'll be interesting to see how David Fincher sees it.   Hope this hasn't spoiled anything for anyone - if so, please delete!  :)
“Only within the moment of time represented by the present century has one species -- man -- acquired significant power to alter the nature of his world.”
~Rachel Carson~

~Looking back on it, they both realized it was the best thing they ever had.~  - A Mother's Love

Offline Sophia

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Your elbows, try to lick them
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2011, 07:28:27 am »
For me Steig Larsson Millennium trilogy as just been to much. I don't particularly enjoy the films or the books. I know the films are scary, horrible and the subject is very important, but still I can´t feel for it. I hope the american version can be better.