Author Topic: Danny Boyle's latest, a fact-based '127 Hours,' with James Franco and—Kate Mara!  (Read 13080 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Glad to hear you liked his performance, friend! I haven't seen that poster...I really like it!

Interesting tag line: There is no force more powerful than the will to live. Where have I heard some of those words used a little more sparingly, a little more elegantly?
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
NY Magazine 's Year End Wrap-Up: The Brainy Bunch (J. Franco, J. Gordon-Levitt)
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2010, 02:54:23 am »

http://nymag.com/arts/cultureawards/2010/69909/

New York Magazine 's Year End Wrap-Up

The Brainy Bunch
James Franco, Joseph Gordon-Levitt,
Tom Hardy, Jesse Eisenberg,
and Michael Fassbender.

By Mary Kaye Schilling
Published Dec 5, 2010

There are no neat antecedents for the five men on this page. Like Ryan Gosling, none is a traditional leading man, action figure, or romantic-comedy arm candy. They are all too intense, too weird, too complicated. None is bankable. Do they think about their image at all? If so, it’s not central to who they are—acting might not be either: Polymaths Gosling and James Franco could well consider it a sideline. Joseph Gordon-Levitt is possibly more interested in collaborating with other artists on hitRECord, his online production company. Jesse Eisenberg—arguably the first egghead movie star—hosts Olympic-class wordplay on his website OneUpMe.com.

They are never predictable and often unlikable; their good guys are flawed, and when they’re bad, they’re horrid: Tom Hardy delivered the most aggressively strange badass in recent memory in Nicolas Winding Refn’s Bronson, then played Heathcliff. Hardy is known for his ballsy range, but that could be said of any of them: Fassbender will play the young Magneto in the next X-Men,  Rochester in a new Jane Eyre,  and Carl Jung for David Cronenberg. Eisenberg—who cut his teeth playing sympathetic motormouths in comedies like Zombieland —was clearly yearning to bite into a role as juicily cerebral as Mark Zuckerberg, The Social Network ’s ultimate asshole. In (500) Days of Summer,  Joseph Gordon-Levitt made the romantic-lead-who-never-gets-the-girl more appealing than the guys who do; he followed that with Hesher ’s singularly unpleasant sociopath. Franco, in one year, captured the devilish brilliance of Allen Ginsberg in Howl  and the rash bravado of Aron Ralston in 127 Hours.

Finding an actor with the charisma to spin a hit out of 90 minutes of a man and a boulder would have been tough even five years ago. But you can imagine all these actors doing something interesting with the role of Ralston (even if that involved Eisenberg talking his arm off). It would be hard to beat Franco’s performance, but that’s not the point. It’s that finally, there is a deepening pool of leading men who thrive on complexity. Even in a big studio film, these actors bring the raw nerve of the indie sensibility, and in so doing, they are reimagining the mainstream.

Also posted in Chez Tremblez/JGL JGL JGL (a thread for Joseph Gordon-Levitt)
http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,45560.msg596342/topicseen.html#msg596342
"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
Very interesting article, thanks John.

I don't recognise all of them but I'm liking this new trend very much.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
It seems like they're offering those multi-tools for sale everywhere, and frankly I find it hard to even look at them!! Although, having seen the movie, met the person, read the book, and gone to the canyon this year, I might have oversensitized myself!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
James Franco Sics His Grandma on Folks Avoiding '127 Hours'

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=et3bJkbuhn8[/youtube]

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....

Go granny go!  ;D
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
Davey looks a bit moviestar-ish himself.

• BetterMost Supporter!

It's obviously WHERE James (and his younger brother, David) got that smile--Grandmaw! Who knew?

"Camping Out"

• BetterMost Supporter!

Can you BELIEVE these smiles???

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nj7kbbsOK4U[/youtube]

(Bet Grammaw LOVED this video!)

"Camping Out"

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Davey looks a bit moviestar-ish himself.

Davey was a regular on SCRUBS.