Author Topic: The "ABCs of BBM": Round 965! (Rules in first post)  (Read 5512005 times)

Offline Fran

• "ABCs of BBM" moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
"H" is hectic
« Reply #19770 on: May 15, 2009, 08:44:07 am »
If Brokeback Mountain cinematographer Rodrigo Prieto took time from his incredibly hectic schedule in early 2007 to talk with Jennifer M. Wood of MovieMaker magazine, he would tell her:  "The best compliment I could receive on my work is:  'What a great movie you worked on!' This means the cinematography doesn't stand out from the film but rather enhances the storytelling in ways that the audience doesn't notice."

Hidden Agenda

« Last Edit: May 15, 2009, 02:55:39 pm by Fran »

Offline memento

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • There But For Fortune
"I" is Interview
« Reply #19771 on: May 15, 2009, 10:47:32 am »
If Rodrigo Prieto were known for his moody lighting, he would speak with Interview magazine, upon the release of his latest film, State of Play, starring Russell Crowe, about all of his temperaments.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • well, I won't
"L" is Looking
« Reply #19772 on: May 15, 2009, 12:54:34 pm »
If Rodrigo wanted to work with Oliver Stone, he would shoot an episode of Stone's TV show "America Undercover" called "Looking for Fidel".

Offline Fran

"M" is mishap
« Reply #19773 on: May 15, 2009, 02:55:11 pm »
If talking about Michelle Williams' sledding mishap during the filming of Brokeback Mountain, which resulted in a badly twisted knee, Rodrigo Prieto would say, "We were only on our third day and we temporarily lost our main actress -- so we had to reschedule."

Offline memento

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • There But For Fortune
"N" is narrate
« Reply #19774 on: May 15, 2009, 04:10:07 pm »
If Rodrigo Prieto had been asked how his visions with director Alejandro Inarritu (Amores Perros, 21 Grams, etc.) coincide, he would say: "Alejandro is a very complete director. He truly understands the medium and knows how to use the elements at his disposal to narrate his films: the performances, the sound, the music, the editing, the production design, and of course, the cinematography. We started working together some years before Amores Perros on TV commercials. We have a creative partnership where we sit down and share our ideas on how to shoot any given scene. We shotlist as much of the film as we can in pre-production and then adapt to the situation on the set. The camerawork on his films is very intuitive, and that is why I do the operating, so I can react to the performances and the rhythm of the scene as we go. He allows me complete freedom to use my instincts with the camera, adjusting for new takes whenever necessary."

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
"O" is one-scene
« Reply #19775 on: May 17, 2009, 10:53:10 am »
If Rodrigo wanted to appear in Brokeback Mountain, he would do a one-scene cameo as the dinero-driven prostitute.

=thanks=
Fran. :)

Offline Fran

"P" is pore
« Reply #19776 on: May 17, 2009, 11:18:09 am »
If director of photography Rodrigo Prieto wanted to be sure that Brokeback Mountain had the look and feel of a classic Western, he would pore over the photographs in Richard Avedon's "In the American West," as would director Ang Lee and costume designer Marit Allen.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2009, 01:06:35 pm by Fran »

Offline memento

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • There But For Fortune
"R" is relevant
« Reply #19777 on: May 17, 2009, 12:15:55 pm »
If Rodrigo Prieto were asked when in the process of making a movie does he start thinking as a cinematographer, he would reply: " On the second read, specific visual ideas start popping into my mind. I do research, which entails looking at photography and art books for examples of framing, texture, color, and lighting that could be relevant to specific scenes in the storyline."

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
"S" is Sobrenatural
« Reply #19778 on: May 17, 2009, 12:19:39 pm »
If Rodrigo wanted to do a thriller, he would shoot Sobrenatural, described thusly:  "Only the very best quality films, like this one, can keep you engrossed through long sequences with no dialogue with only the power of images, thrilling you without any gore whatsoever. None. The subjective camera angles produce such a feeling of terror and uncertainty, you don't need any gore." (IMDb)

Offline Fran

"T" is texture
« Reply #19779 on: May 17, 2009, 01:08:47 pm »
If asked, "When in the process of making a movie do you start thinking as a cinematographer?" Rodrigo Prieto would reply:  "On the second read, specific visual ideas start popping into my mind. I do research, which entails looking at photography and art books for examples of framing, texture, color, and lighting that could be relevant to specific scenes in the storyline."

=aside= Sandy
Thanks.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2009, 04:17:12 pm by Fran »