Author Topic: The "ABCs of BBM": Round 965! (Rules in first post)  (Read 5491896 times)

Offline Fran

• "ABCs of BBM" moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
"E" is exception
« Reply #20650 on: December 22, 2009, 12:47:51 pm »
Ennis took exception to Jack's going to Mexico to have sex with other men.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • well, I won't
"F" is firmament
« Reply #20651 on: December 22, 2009, 01:39:35 pm »
While Ennis gazed at the firmament, Jack asked him, "Anything interesting up there in heaven?"

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
"G" is goggling
« Reply #20652 on: December 22, 2009, 03:54:06 pm »
Ennis's quick dispatchment of the two slopbucket-mouthed bikers set the crowd to goggling at more than the fireworks.
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Fran

"H" is Hornbeck
« Reply #20653 on: December 22, 2009, 07:39:45 pm »
The end credits for Brokeback Mountain reflect that Gerry Hornbeck was responsible for animal management.

Offline memento

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • There But For Fortune
"I" is immensity
« Reply #20654 on: December 22, 2009, 10:23:39 pm »
Strangely enough, I've seen a couple of remarks disparaging Lee's use of panoramic shots of the Wyoming mountains, which strikes me as a cavil, either deliberate or blind. I hadn't realized that beautiful scenery was necessarily a bad thing in a film, and place has a distinct relevance to character. It's something that is very hard to capture, a subtle influence that seeps into your bones: your place becomes a necessary part of your identity. Proulx caught it in the diction of her story (in itself revealing of how place shapes people), and Lee captures it in the contrasts between the immensity of the mountain and the intimacy of the scenes between Jack and Ennis: they make a private place where they can be tender and alone together, where they can have their romance, even though, or perhaps because, outside that place is a world that is sometimes too big to comprehend, a world that is incapable of providing the gentleness they need. Rodrigo Prieto's cinematography is not particularly lush: it captures the scale and the hardness of the mountains as well as the banal emptiness of Ennis' life in town. Any beauty in these views belongs to that land, and both Ledger and Gyllenhaal have brought that bigness, that hard and unforgiving beauty, into the characters of Ennis and Jack. (I find a distinct parallel with the photography of Robert Adams and his treatment of humanity against the landscape of the American West.) Both bring an intense physicality, a hunger to their roles, men whose only means of expression seems to be sex or a fist-fight, all of a piece with the extremes of the landscape.

http://www.greenmanreview.com/film/film_brokeback_mountain.html

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
"L" is lentamente
« Reply #20655 on: December 23, 2009, 09:22:50 am »
Gustavo's lovely music for TS2 entitled "Horse Love" is chiefly lentamente, but the acting is con molto passione.

Offline Fran

"M" is mentally
« Reply #20656 on: December 24, 2009, 01:42:28 am »
"Every so often, the men reunite (for 'fishing trips' that fail to fool their wives for long) and head for Brokeback Mountain, the one place they can be themselves. Jack is impatient; he wants to start up a ranch with Ennis and be with him all the time. Ennis, averting his eyes, mumbles about work commitments he can't get out of. There isn't much overt, external homophobia in Brokeback Mountain -- even mean old Joe Aguirre doesn't blow the whistle on the men when he spots them wrestling half-naked, and we feel that if Ennis and Jack had done a better job with the sheep, he would've hired them back no matter what they did at night. The phobia is all internal -- Jack beating his head against Ennis' nightmare of what might happen. Heath Ledger has gotten more interesting in the past couple of years, but this is his finest and most subtly shaded work yet; he makes Ennis a man mentally lashing out at shadows but too afraid even to speak most of the time. He shows us the terror inside the laconic Western hero."

Offline memento

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • There But For Fortune
"N" is neighbor's
« Reply #20657 on: December 24, 2009, 02:17:02 pm »
Ennis tried to remain calm when John Twist mentioned that Jack has said he was going to come up there and run the ranch with a neighbor's help.

=aside= Paul
You have a new patient.
Happy holidays everyone!!!

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
"O" is oilmen
« Reply #20658 on: December 24, 2009, 02:27:20 pm »
Alma Jr.'s Curt worked with oilmen.

=aside= Sandy
That poor, hopeless confection!
Happy Holidays to all!

Offline Fran

"P" is pragmatism
« Reply #20659 on: December 24, 2009, 02:51:17 pm »
"Ennis' surprise at the affair -- at its inconvenience as much as at its intensity -- reflects a fundamental humbleness that keeps butting up against Jack's willingness to take risks. It's Jack who proposes, over and over, that they start up a ranch together, a plan Ennis counters with pragmatism (not to mention fear), even after his wife, Alma, divorces him. Instead Ennis limits the relationship to fishing and hunting trips two or three times a year. It's as if he believes they don't deserve better."

=aside= Players

=aside= Sandy
LOL