Author Topic: The "ABCs of BBM": Round 965! (Rules in first post)  (Read 5470317 times)

Offline Fran

• "ABCs of BBM" moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
"A" is additional
« Reply #22400 on: February 03, 2012, 04:52:23 pm »
creenwriters Larry McMurtry and Diana Ossana managed to provide additional narrative detail without straying from Annie Proulx's basic storyline.

Offline memento

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • There But For Fortune
"B" is broken-down
« Reply #22401 on: February 04, 2012, 12:16:53 pm »
tarting Jack's broken-down pickup truck upon leaving Brokeback required Ennis's magic touch.

Offline Sason

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Bork bork bork
"C" is carnage
« Reply #22402 on: February 04, 2012, 02:16:16 pm »
itting in the bar in Signal, Jack tells Ennis about the carnage among the sheep, caused by lightning last year on Brokeback.

=aside=Fran

I love the little bluebird!  :D

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline Fran

"D" is descriptor
« Reply #22403 on: February 05, 2012, 02:10:40 am »
"ometimes it took weeks to get the right phrase or descriptor for particular characters."

-- Annie Proulx, in "Getting Movied," describing how Brokeback Mountain was a hard story to write     

=reply= Sonja
Me, too.  :)

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
"E" is entitles
« Reply #22404 on: February 05, 2012, 08:20:47 pm »
eeing Brokeback Mountain entitles viewers to complete the story in their own lives.

=aside= Sonja, Fran
I think it looks like a blue hummingbird!

Offline Sason

• Bork bork bork
"F" is forgetfulness
« Reply #22405 on: February 06, 2012, 02:58:03 pm »
uspicious Alma figured the reason for Ennis not using the fishing line in five years, wasn't just forgetfulness.

=aside= Paul
Hummingbird, schmummingbird. It's a bird,
it's blue, and it's cute.
That's enough for me!

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline memento

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • There But For Fortune
"G" is gratuity
« Reply #22406 on: February 06, 2012, 08:09:30 pm »
eeing Jack get rebuffed after trying to pick up Jimbo's tab, the bartender put in his two cents and tried to gave Jack a tip about calf-roping, resulting in Jack throwing down his money minus a gratuity.

Offline Fran

"H" is heckuva
« Reply #22407 on: February 06, 2012, 10:31:26 pm »
ure enough, Jack, Ennis, and the Chileans had one heckuva time untangling the sheep.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
"I" is intuit
« Reply #22408 on: February 06, 2012, 10:43:04 pm »
eeing Earl's dead body made Ennis intuit that ranching up with a man could lead to serious trouble.

Offline memento

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • There But For Fortune
"L" is layered
« Reply #22409 on: February 07, 2012, 11:57:37 am »
teve Persall wrote a review of Brokeback Mountain entitled: "Brokeback Mountain rises above hype - Ang Lee's film will be considered a social statement, but at heart it's a love story of whose beautifully woven fabric homosexuality is only a thread."

An excerpt follows: Jack contacts Ennis, requesting a Brokeback reunion. It's the first of several meetings over the years, ostensibly for fishing, although they never bait a hook. Alma's suspicions begin when she sees Jack and Ennis kissing but can't confront her husband about it. Lee's film becomes a western class saga on the order of George Stevens' Giant, recalling the hindsight homoeroticism of that film's stars, Rock Hudson and James Dean.

Much happens over the next two decades, some of it unsavory, as Jack's true colors are revealed and Ennis isolates himself from his family. The repercussions of their affair are smartly detailed in the screenplay based on Annie Proulx's short story, never sappy or campy as hesitant viewers may expect. Brokeback Mountain is so delicately layered that the homosexual angle becomes just another thread in an unshakable romantic tragedy.