Author Topic: Annie Proulx's memoir.  (Read 56772 times)

Offline Wayne

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Annie Proulx's memoir.
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2011, 07:40:58 pm »
Her cluttered style is, in a kind of reverse way, as jewel-encrusted as Gustav Klimt’s.
:o :)

We saw this Gustav Klimt piece in person at the German-Type Art Museum in NYC in September. That was right before we saw the German-Type American People's parade as we walked out onto Fifth Avenue.

As always Truman, you were there with us in spirit  :)   (btw be sure to take my spirit along next trip I can't make)

Miz Lynne has the Japanese translation of this painting as her userpic on fb now.

Great article. It sounds like Annie Proulx writing about her now jewel-encluttered self  :laugh:
When you put people in charge of the government who are committed to proving that it doesn't work, you can be sure that they will cause it to not work.

Don

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2011, 09:01:53 pm »
:o :)

We saw this Gustav Klimt piece in person at the German-Type Art Museum in NYC in September. That was right before we saw the German-Type American People's parade as we walked out onto Fifth Avenue.

As always Truman, you were there with us in spirit  :)   (btw be sure to take my spirit along next trip I can't make)

Miz Lynne has the Japanese translation of this painting as her userpic on fb now.

Great article. It sounds like Annie Proulx writing about her now jewel-encluttered self  :laugh:

I do...I was going for the Goddess of Prosperity for the new year...I wonder if Annie Proulx has her share of that, with the understanding that I doubt it means the same thing to me as to her as to the next person.

???
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2011, 01:48:07 am »

I will probably be ran out of this forum on a rail, and tarred and feathered.  But
as for me, I think she is just too self important anymore.  When she said that she
wished that the airplane she saw flying around her place, would crash..I gave up
all the respect for her. Other people are more important than she obviously thinks they are.  She seems to think that she is the only person of value in this country.  ....go ahead  do your worst.  I still think I can take it.  That is my opinion.;  Privacy is wonderful, but she is obviously a grizzled cranky old superior acting and feeling wench.

Beautiful mind

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2011, 03:05:45 am »

I will probably be ran out of this forum on a rail, and tarred and feathered.  But
as for me, I think she is just too self important anymore.  When she said that she
wished that the airplane she saw flying around her place, would crash..I gave up
all the respect for her. Other people are more important than she obviously thinks they are.  She seems to think that she is the only person of value in this country.  ....go ahead  do your worst.  I still think I can take it.  That is my opinion.;  Privacy is wonderful, but she is obviously a grizzled cranky old superior acting and feeling wench.
Don´t hold back now ;)
A for the plane, I don´t think she actually WANTS the plane to crash.  ;)
She is without a doubt a tough old bird, though, living by herself in Wyoming. I wonder if it is the solitude, the land itself or the people, that attracts her to the area.

I haven´t gotten my copy yet, but am looking forward to reading it, especially the parts about Wyoming´s fauna and history.

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2011, 09:28:03 am »
What I would love to read, and probably won't in her life time, is a biography about her. From what I understand she has not had an easy time of it, well who does I know.....

I remember the time I went to see her speak and someones cell phone rang and she stopped midsentance and said "Do you want to get that?"
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2011, 11:21:45 am »
What I would love to read, and probably won't in her life time, is a biography about her. From what I understand she has not had an easy time of it, well who does I know.....

IIRC, she mentions in one of her essays that she's been married more than once. For someone as cranky as she is, now there's a triumph of hope over experience.  8)

I remember the time I went to see her speak and someones cell phone rang and she stopped midsentance and said "Do you want to get that?"

:laugh:
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2011, 02:31:38 pm »
Yes, she's been married three times and has three sons and a daughter. She's lived closely with quite a few men and must have picked up some insight over the years!

I think at least one of her sons is living in the Wyoming house. I don't think of her as much of a hermit.

I've put a hold on the memoir in the library and hope to be reading it soon.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2011, 02:28:27 pm »
At lunch today, I noticed that Bird Cloud was featured in the "Briefly Noted" section of capsule book reviews in the Feb. 7 issue of The New Yorker. Whoever wrote the capsule review concludes by speculating that at certain times, AP's Wyoming neighbors must be as contemptuous of her as she so clearly is of them. That led me to wonder--seriously--why on earth would you write a memoir that makes you look like such a bad-tempered, mean-spirited, snobbish old crank?  ??? I mean, seriously, why would anyone do that?  ???

I seriously doubt that I will ever get around to reading Bird Cloud, but I suppose if I ever do, I will get a good laugh--at AP's expense--at such experiences as her driving into a five-foot snowdrift and having to be shoveled out (an incident mentioned in the capsule review). It sounds to me like there is comedy here of the Green Acres/city slicker in the country variety.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2011, 08:09:23 pm »
At lunch today, I noticed that Bird Cloud was featured in the "Briefly Noted" section of capsule book reviews in the Feb. 7 issue of The New Yorker. Whoever wrote the capsule review concludes by speculating that at certain times, AP's Wyoming neighbors must be as contemptuous of her as she so clearly is of them. That led me to wonder--seriously--why on earth would you write a memoir that makes you look like such a bad-tempered, mean-spirited, snobbish old crank?  ??? I mean, seriously, why would anyone do that?  ???

Lack of personal insight?  

I remember having a similar species of reaction when I was hired to do extensive edits on a memoir of a survivor of Sobibor death camp, who was barely out of his youth at the time he was sent there.  Sobibor, for those who don't know, is the camp where the Nazis disastrously mixed Jewish civilian prisoners with Soviet prisoners of war, and the Soviet officers (there were a handful of them) organized a spectacular escape over the barbed wire under towers with snipers posted.  This man, Toivi Blatt, escaped with the Soviets and 70 other inmates, and hid in the countryside, some of them eventually making the way to permanent freedom.  Most were shot in the back going over the barbed wire.

Now part of the reason why it was so dangerous for Jews on the run in Poland is because there WAS a significant discrepancy, socioeconomically, between shtetl Jewish families who were moneylenders and shopkeepers (lacking access to most other occupations) and their far poorer Catholic countrymen, so there was a certain initial enthusiasm in the local Catholic population in turning over Jews who they felt were unfairly benefitting from the bad economy.  It was a horrific cliche that Jews always had gold coins buried somewhere to bribe their way out of prosecution or other minor lawbreaking; and of course it defied the reality that there were poor Jews as well as rich Jews in Poland.

However, in this manuscript, the protagonist portrayed himself as having gold coins sewn into his clothes and bribing himself out of tight spots, paying gold for food, and hiring rides from people he thought he could trust, and exchanging precious gems (once again sewn into his clothes) for a night's hiding place.  He was describing the rich Jewish stereotype to a nicety.

I was completely baffled, and I didn't know how to tell him his own narrative was reinforcing the Polish Catholic stereotypes of Jews and he might want to play that down.  And of course, he didn't see any issue there.  Everybody travels with precious gems and gold sewn into their clothes, don't they?

“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2011, 09:10:45 pm »
At lunch today, I noticed that Bird Cloud was featured in the "Briefly Noted" section of capsule book reviews in the Feb. 7 issue of The New Yorker. Whoever wrote the capsule review concludes by speculating that at certain times, AP's Wyoming neighbors must be as contemptuous of her as she so clearly is of them. That led me to wonder--seriously--why on earth would you write a memoir that makes you look like such a bad-tempered, mean-spirited, snobbish old crank?  ??? I mean, seriously, why would anyone do that?  ???

Maybe she really is a bad-tempered, mean-spirited, snobbish old crank.  Being brilliant at what you do and being a wonderful person aren't necessarily the same thing.

Don't shoot the messenger.