Author Topic: What's on your fall must-watch movie list?  (Read 16564 times)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: What's on your fall must-watch movie list?
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2010, 12:06:17 am »
Things I liked about The Social Network: the music (original music by Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross, sounding a lot like Death Cab for Cutie), the cinematography, the sets, most of the acting, the story and dialogue, the pacing. Things I didn't like: makeup (really bad) and the portrayal of women. The only more-than-2D woman portrayed was Rooney Mara as Erica Albright, the woman who dumped Mark at the beginning of the film (this has been publicized so much that I don't consider it a spoiler). All of the other women were mostly undressed, drugged, paranoid, or clueless. Can Harvard really be that backwards? Andrew Garfield was dynamite as Eduardo Saverin, the cofounder and best friend of Mark Zuckerberg. He also played Anton in the Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus and was fantastic in that as well. Somehow casting found two unrelated men to play the Winklevoss twins. I suspect that they grafted Armie Hammer's (Armie??) head onto the other actor's body. He or they looked like Brendan Fraser from George of the Jungle days. The guy who played Laurence Summers, the president of Harvard, was very good too. Oh, and Justin Timberlake was spot-on as the guy who created Napster, a Silicon Valley wunderkind. Totally unlikeable despite his beauty and charm, he was nevertheless uncategorizable, as were most of the characters. Did they really have no moral compass at all? What motivated them? How could they be so brilliant and yet so un-self aware? Please, your thoughts everyone!!

Not very useful thoughts because I haven't seen it yet, but

1) I wonder if the lack of substantive roles for women is less about Harvard in them days than internet startups in them days?

2) I read that the Winklevoss Twins were created by PhotoShopping the actor's head on a stand-in's body.

3) Looking forward to it! My son saw it last night and liked it a lot.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2010, 01:09:44 am »
Hereafter, Conviction and Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 1.

Also, I picked "other" because I'd like to see Charlie St. Cloud. I haven't seen that one yet. Has anyone seen it? Is it any good? Zak Efron is such a cutie and the movie looks like it's brilliant.
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2010, 02:53:57 am »
Hi David...welcome!! I think Charlie St. Cloud might be out on DVD by now.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2010, 08:57:42 am »
Somehow casting found two unrelated men to play the Winklevoss twins. I suspect that they grafted Armie Hammer's (Armie??) head onto the other actor's body. He or they looked like Brendan Fraser from George of the Jungle days.

For reals? Did you check this in the credits? I've been reading a lot about this film, and what I've read is that Armie Hammer (born Armand Hammer--I suspect a descendant of the Armand Hammer, of Occidental Petroleum, but I haven't investigated) played both "Winklevi" through old-fashioned movie magic. In his IMDb entry he does sorta look like a younger Brendan Fraser with a blond dye-job.

Did they really have no moral compass at all? What motivated them? How could they be so brilliant and yet so un-self aware?

Well, I can't explain it, but in the New Yorker article about the film, Mark Zuckerberg comes across as totally lacking in empathy, so I can believe it.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2010, 09:03:48 am »
hehe, the other Winklevoss is listed as a "body double" so I don't think it was a case of one man playing both parts, as Nicholas Cage did in Adaptation. I felt lots of empathy for Mark!! But then I'm weird...I loved his Little Lost Boy look after he'd done something reprehensible. I've seen that look before in real life!  ;)

LOL "Winklevi"! Jeff, you really should make an exception to your No Movies rule to see this one...I would love to discuss it with you!!

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2010, 03:24:29 pm »

A quietly heartbreaking film that had me stifling actual sobs more than once.  I loved it.  The leads are all great but I was especially moved by Andrew Garfield's performance.  I highly recommend it to BbM fans.

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2010, 03:56:33 pm »
^^^^^^^^^^^^

What's it about?

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2010, 04:37:34 pm »
Never Let Me Go is about three friends growing up together in a “special” British boarding school during an alternate history where science is lightyears ahead of us and has pervaded even the most innate aspects of life that once seemed impossible. As our trio grows up, they start to learn the ugly truths about how they fit into the grand scheme of things and what it is that makes them “special”, so they do their best to take advantage of the fate that’s befallen them while struggling to change their future.

It’s pretty hard to break down a synopsis for this movie without giving anything away or ruining the wonderfully cryptic ad campaign that went along with it, but the best I can give ya’ is that it’s like the grown-up, thoughtful, Michael Bay-less version of The Island. Then again, that’s a pretty unfortunate way to compare anything to anything even if there are some similiarities, so do what you will with that one, just know that it’s better than The Island.

http://flicksided.com/2010/09/cut-the-crap-movie-review-never-let-me-go-2010/

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2010, 04:48:46 pm »
That sounds very cryptic!

Thanks!

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2010, 05:01:07 pm »
Andrew's in Never Let Me Go? Gasp...I'm there!! See my comments about him below.

Andrew Garfield was dynamite as Eduardo Saverin, the cofounder and best friend of Mark Zuckerberg. He also played Anton in the Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus and was fantastic in that as well.